Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Riding near Barrow / Dalton-in-Furness
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve got a week up in Dalton-in-Furness with work, I’ll be working the rather unsociable 10pm – 6am night shift on a railway project we have up there, so I’ll have some time during the early afternoon for some riding.

Other than trawling the likes of RidewithGPS, does anyone have any routes they can recommend, preferably road or gravel based as I don’t really want to be spending time driving somewhere to ride off-road so will invariably be taking the gravel / CX / Groad bike with me.

StuF

Walney Island might be worth an explore or the coast road south east of Barrow towards ulverston (rampside / newbiggin)

mark88

There’s not much off-road, but some lovely quiet roads either side of the A590.

Urswick side for short loops and the coast road, or head up past Lindal or Pennington for hills and into the lakes.

mark88

This road is excellent, I loved exploring the roads round there.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Walneys a good shout.

Dont do gps but Kirkby Moor: ride up through Marton past the reservoirs and to the cross roads at rathvale and head to the shooting house track. Follow that to the windfarm, there’s a few miles of spinning round there. To add a bit more on you can cross the A5092 (bit of cheeky requied past the quarry but no one will say owt) on to woodland fell road. Give us a wave. And you can head either down to woodland and back on the Kirkby in Furness road or over to blawith and back via Ulverston along the 590 or pick yor way through the lanes and back up to rathvale via Lowick bridge and knotthallow.

Lap of Coniston is a couple of hours from Dalton and very Scenic

jekkyl

The coast road between Barrow and Ulverston is quite scenic and all the rural lanes just off there and inbetween.

Nibthwaite is 30 minutes drive from Dalton for a lap of Coniston or playing in the forest.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.