Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Riding marked trails the ‘wrong way’
  • poisonspider
    Free Member

I’ve been riding Sherewood Pines (locally known as Clippo) for about 10 years now and know pretty much all of it like the back of my hand. Consequently I can pick up and detour off the newly marked trails at various points without having to follow the arrows.

I was doing just that on Sunday when a couple of guys (separately) coming in the opposite direction shouted “You’re going the wrong way!!” (I was not IN there way I hasten to add).

Does this mean that the trails I have ridden (in both directions) for the last 10 years are now restricted to ‘one way’, just because it has a route arrow on it. Which, let’s face it, are there primarily for people from outside the area who don’t know where they are going?

Discuss.

sofatester
    Free Member

Your not local…

BigDummy
    Free Member

I’d say not, if there really was a pre-existing 2-way trail. Anyone on it ought to be riding in control anyway, so there shouldn’t really be a problem.

uplink
    Free Member

I guess it depends whether or not someone is coming at you, at speed

If they aren’t expecting people coming the other way it could get hairy

james
    Free Member

The signs aren’t up yet are they? If not then it can’t exaclty be one way

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

unless its dangerous like riding the wrong way round the GT black or something similar – then i ride the trails whatever way i want,

T_Ridg
    Free Member

by definition single track is one way

i’d say one of you was going to wrong way.

poisonspider
    Free Member

sofa – I didn’t say I was local.

uplink – in this instance there are very few places you could be going that fast without being able to see ahead.

james – there are some red arrow sign posts up already

coffeeking
    Free Member

I disagree, there’s no part of a definition of singletrack that says is has to be attacked one way. The only time it is one way is if signs are present stating that, placed there by an authority of some sort. Otherwise it is just a trail.

Paceman
    Free Member

Wrong way i’d say, sorry.

poisonspider
    Free Member

T_Ridg – LOL

Sinlgetrack means it’s only wide enough to ride one behind the other, as in ‘single file’, not single as in one direction.

MtbCol
    Free Member

In places like Dalby, I wouldn’t expect to see anyone riding the red route backwards. Saying that, the sections are waymarked, and the exit points are clearly marked No Entry. Having said that, having a cheeky downhill play on black climbs is something I do, but it is usually outside of the busy times when we know that there’s no riders on the trails.

scruff
    Free Member

If its an old local trail that get signed as a one way the its a bit rich to try to make you only ride in that direction, in reality you will still ride it either way. You will have unknowing riders coming the opposite way so its only fair you give way to them , and bite your lip if someone shouts at you.

Although getting your local trails blocked off due to a new official trail going through it is a despicable act, and is a worthy case for a length of 2 inch timber in a dark alley >:-D

kevonakona
    Free Member

I don’t mind going the wrong way but always inteh dark so i get plenty of warning from oncoming lights.

Is it possible they were trying to be helpfull? As in “you’re going the wrong way you may be lost”.

AndyP
    Free Member

‘wrong way’ usually just means ‘it’s easier this way’. One way signs on a trail are to be ignored.

MrAgreeable

One way signs on a trail are to be ignored.

If you were a real rebel you wouldn’t even acknowledge the signs’ existence. 😉

brakeswithface

Depends on the situation I guess, but if for example I met someone riding up one of the majority of waymarked singletrack descents I’d be downright miffed as it’d be dangerous for both of us.

poisonspider
    Free Member

I think there is a difference between trail centers with purpose built trails where you would quite rightly expect everyone to be going the same way and existing trails which have simply been adopted into a signed route.
    I would be proper pi55ed off if I came across someone riding Coed y Brenin the wrong way, as brakeswithface says it would be dangerous for both.

Kevonakona – you must see the best in people, I hadn’t thought of that.

brakeswithface

Yeah, guess I’m thinking about purpose built trails rather than newly waymarket ones.

llama

Trail centres the wrong way is allowed after dark

maybe they meant the wrong way in a more general sense? Perhaps they were religious types and were commenting on your lifestyle?

J0N
    Free Member

Are trail way markings law? As in you can ride the ‘wrong’ way but on-coming riders have right of way and if you are involved in an accident you are automatically in the wrong.
    Last time I was at GT there were two blokes coming down on of the climbs. They had stopped at the side and other people had gone past without saying anything so I kept my mouth shut.

Riding up a known descent is just dangerous. However descending a known climb should be quite safe as you should be prepared to stop at short notice. I’ve never really had the urge to descend any waymarked climbs as they seem quite dull.

BlingBling
    Free Member

If you’re going the wrong way according to the arrows that most people will follow (including riders of lower skill level-everyone in your case) then you should always be prepared to give way.

Common sense really.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

wrong. One way at a time perhaps…

singletrack. one mountain. no markers. no centre. no direction:
    click pic for more

MoreCashThanDash

Is Sherwood Pines not a trail centre now?

fwiw, I last rode it when they were half way through the trail building, and we had no way of knowing what was the “approved” direction.

I can understand you being annoyed at having regular trails messed around with, but like any trail centre route, riding it the “wrong” way when it is likely to be busy is potentially dangerous, especially as Sherwood Pines may well be attracting a lot of less experienced riders.

And if you ride it regularly, did you not get involved/offer an opinion when the trails were being planned?

When it’s quiet, it’s up to you, though, as others have said

nickc

If there are signs then probably best to follow them, if nothing else then just so you don’t give any-one else a headache

ed80
    Free Member

We went the wrong way round Dalby red on Friday night when there was no one around. Lots of it was better than the right way around. Is there a chance they put the signs up backwards by accident?

Gary_M
    Free Member

by definition single track is one way Then you don’t know the definition of singletrack. Are all singletrack roads restricted to one way in case 2 cars collide? Wouldn’t bother me if someone rode the ‘wrong way’. And if I was local to way marked trails I would ride whatever way I wanted – although with some caution where visibility was limited.

boobs

I went the wrong way at Cymcarn once.. 😕 All I could think was that I was even more rubbish than I had thought before and that the Welsh riders were hard as nails. (never been before and there was a van in front of the start. Mid week and didn’t meet anyone anyway/fortunately. Did it the right way afterwards when a mate turned up and realised what had happened. duh

mattsccm
    Free Member

artificial trail centre? stick with what was designed. Your local track buggered about by an outsider from a company based in Edinburgh? Tell them to shove it. I was here first is the idea rather than cater for outsiders. 😈

grumm
    Free Member

Simon how far is that route? Ta

AmyYoung
    Free Member

Which way are you supposed to ride the wall on the timberland trail, ashton court? The way it’s signed or the (better) way the Bristol Bikefest takes you round it?!

harrytoo
    Free Member

Ashton Court, a prime example of “my way is the best way even if its the wrong way”

My girlfriend has been put off riding the timberland trail after someone riding the wrong way forced her off the trail and caused her to fall off, twisting her knee, then rode off without even apologising.

What is the point of setting up a nice loop suitable for beginners if then people hoon it in the wrong direction causing those riding the right way to stop / pull over / fall off. The “singletrack” sections are just that, not wide enough for people to pass at speed.

I know the trails have been there for years and we all ride them the wrong way, but where there is a sign posted route put in place then surely the signs should be followed for the safety of those on the trails.

hugh_b
    Free Member

myself and a friend were riding at Swinley the last weekend, again there are so many different trails they don’t mark them, everyone knows it’s kinda…make it up as you go along. We have a good route worked out and whilst pedaling away on a climb we saw a middle age guy hurtling down on a hardtail, no helmet on, clearly not in much control, we moved over and let him by, next thing we hear is a load of abuse when he’s ridden a fair distance away about how it was downhill only and how we were stupid etc etc, this coming from a guy out of control with no helmet on!

So no i don’t think there is a direction to travel in unless it’s sign posted, everyone else i have met coming the other way has been very courteous and moved over or said thank-you to me for moving over. Some people just want to have a moan!

Hugh

MrNutt
    Free Member

simonfbarnes that route is quite clearly down. 🙄

samuri
    Free Member

if it’s a trail centre then riding the wrong way will be both rubbish and wrong.

if it’s just normal trails then do what you want.

flamejob
    Free Member

Oddly, I agree with the Japanese warrior on this one

zaskar
    Free Member

Ask the trail centre or who owns the land.

The Timberland trail in Bristol is a small trail but is sign and map posted for directions and people do cheekily ride the other way.

Forest unmarked trails-do what want.

Just be careful at speed or of anyone riding or walking/jogging towards you.

Not just bikes too.

RepacK
    Free Member

If arrows are posted indicating its one way then its one way – as simple as that. If no arrows posted then its a two way street. For example: if I met someone coming up (the wrong way) say the last section of Whites Level at Afan Id give them a right good b*llcking. But where I am right now (California) the trails work in both directions so I ride accordingly.

If the trails are indicated as being one way, to ride against the indicated direction is irresponsible & feking dangerous.

If not crack on but be aware.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Original way rules and local riders on those trails will know which way is correct. Any later sign posting for the benefit of more recent riders is irrelevant

mysterymurdoch
    Free Member

I hate the “Obey the Signs” crowd.

Generally the trails existed long before your poxy little arrows got put up, so back off city-boys and let the locals do the real riding!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Riding marked trails the ‘wrong way’’ is closed to new replies.