Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Riding in the Peaks
  • kraken2345
    Free Member

So I was hoping to draw from the experience of some well informed locals in/around Sheffield or further afield. I’m a little tired of riding the same stuff in and around Sheffield and want to start exploring the peaks however have no car to get me there. Are there any routes that are relatively accessible by riding from the city centre and if so any details would be great!

Cheers

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Train out to hope/edale? Heaps of riding around there.

vincienup
    Free Member

Obvious one is out the back of Endcliffe Park if the Peaks is your intended playground, alternatively if you head over to Walkley it’s not too hard to end up in Riv Valley and then it’s easy again.

You *could* monster up Glossop Road past the Jessop and through Broomhill and Crosspool, but that’s not a very MTB friendly route…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    kraken2345
    Free Member

I hadn’t considered getting the train, I’ll take a look. Are there any more common route names etc people do via endcliffe park?

docrobster
    Free Member

This thread is missing a reference to the vertebrate graphics dark peak book. It includes routes linking to/from Sheffield.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Loads of options Bole Hill over to Redmire via the trails along the golf course then Stanage Edge at which point you can either choose to do something around Lady Bower or Go south and do Burbage Moor, Totley Moore and Lady Cannings then head back into town via Lady Cannings and Endcliffe park.

You can get the train to Edale, Hope or Bamford and do one of the many peak routes. If you want to go further south you can get the Train to Amber Valley and try those trails but you will need a guide.

davros

Once you’ve climbed through porter clough if you turn left at the road you can head towards hounkirk, lady cannings, blacka moor and the eastern edges (google eastern moors tour for a free vp route download).

Alternatively go right towards redmires reservoirs then over stanage edge either down the cracking plantation descent or long causeway. You can then head towards Bamford and ladybower. However you’ll be racking up the kms for a round trip, so the train to hope or edale is a good idea if you want to cut out the road sections and save your legs for the good stuff.

All of the above is certainly worth riding though.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Train – absolutely tons of riding from Hope and Edale (when I come up from down Sarf I park there)
    Find a ride maye with a car

kraken2345
    Free Member

Well that sounds like plenty to be getting on with, ordered the OL1 OS map this morning. Thanks all for the help

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Riding in the Peaks’ is closed to new replies.