Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 105 total)
  • Riding in T-shirts. The new niche?
  • Trekster

Noticed the last couple of days the number of people riding in T-shirts.
    Anyone else noticed this?
    Are people being “inspired” by the likes of Danny Nac or is just because bike specific gear is getting too expensive ❓

stratobiker
    Free Member

A T-shirt? For me, it just doesn’t work. It soaks sweat on the clmbs and chills you on the descents…… and as for roadies who wear a T-shirt under their jersey….amateurs! 🙂

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Locally I ride in hoody and jeans if it’s a bit on the cold side or t-shirt and shorts if it’s warm. I save my “proper” riding gear for posing at the trail center.

wors

I’m not buying bike specific shorts anymore, ripped 2 pairs lately at forty quid a shot. T shirts? Nah get too cold with all the sweat i pump out!

kimbers

only this guy can get away with it

bedmaker

quite often just wear my work polo type t shirts, part polyester so don’t soak up so much sweat, did 32 miles in one today and didn’t die. I am quite tired though, perhaps something more expensive would have left me feeling fresher.

kevonakona
    Free Member

Don’t get the cotton T thing for all of the above reasons.

yunki
    Free Member

Are people being “inspired” by the likes of Danny Nac or is just because bike specific gear is getting too expensive

maybe some folk just haven’t had the misfortune to buy into it.?

I know plenty folk that love cycling.. and have done for decades.. that would feel pretty foolish buying bike specific clothing.. or the magazines that tell us to wear it..

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Poly T-shirt – cotton gets nasty with a pack on.

project
    Free Member

45 quid for most cycling jerseys, unless you want very small then the price comes down, now why dont Primark and Matalan do cycling jerseys.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Lidl and Aldi do

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg//lidl_uk/hs.xsl/index_8880.htm?offerdate=&ar2=1&id=1387&country=GB&zipcode=CR0+1RB&city=Croydon&district=London&street=Church+Street&ar=1&nf=True

You can easily get a decent cycling jersey for less than £45 btw …. even if it’s in the sales.

No way would I wear cotton unless I was plodding along on the road.

jam-bo

DH, dirt jumping or just messing around in the woods I will.

oxym0r0n

You can easily get a decent cycling jersey for less than £45 btw

+1

Doesn’t even have to be cycle specific – I’ve picked up lots of wicking T’s from Nike Factory type shops for ~ £15 or less. The only bonus cycling specific ones give you is rear pockets, which are a pain IMHO if carrying a pack…

user-removed
    Free Member

Local loops / rides – T-shirt and jeans. Anything longer than a couple of hours – wicking T-shirt (Berghaus, Craghoppers, whatever £12 thing I can get).

TheBrick
    Free Member

Not every ride is serious.

Not every ride requires full cycling getup.

For shortish rides in temperate environment it dose not matter.

I did not wear a cotton T-shirt on my short ride today but did wear cut off jeans.
    The shame.

brakes
    Free Member

DH, dirt jumping or just messing around in the woods I will.

+1

iDave
    Free Member

Some people ride XC in t-shirts, some people ride XC in body armor – I know who look more stupid

Keva
    Free Member

why not ? I quite often wear t-shirt out on the bike – doesn’t everyone ?

Kev

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

Sometimes I wear a proper jersey, sometimes just a t-shirt, just depends where I’m riding, how much stuff I want to take (e.g. if I need the extra pocket room!), and what the weather is like, and who I’m riding with!

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Nowt wrong with wearing a cotton t-shirt on the bike.

scottw
    Free Member

Always ride in a hoody/tee depending on the temperature and adidas track suit bottoms, get some interesting looks at glentress and the likes, but it works for me and it doesn’t slow me down…

Use my motocross gear if it’s really muddy, but the reinforced knees aren’t great for peddling all the time.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Depends on the material. Cotton is pretty poor for riding where as my lovely Howies Marino one is perfect:-)

stanfree
    Free Member

I did 30 miles yesterday and 20 miles today In a cotton T shirt and Baggy shorts. If Its cold ill wear a hoodie or occasionally a running jacket. IMO biking specific clothing is overpriced , there does seem to be a lot of snobbery if your seen out In non cycle gear at GT. **** them I say , fight the power. 😉

loddrik
    Free Member

Only time I wear a ‘technical’ top is underneath a jacket. T-shirts are the way to go, just not ‘cyling’ t shirts. Had my ‘Roots Canada’ one on today, dont want to look like too much of a ‘cyclist’, although riding an expensive bike is a bit of a givaway.

Cougar

I’ve picked up lots of wicking T’s from Nike Factory type shops for ~ £15 or less.

Plenty to be had for that price or less in Go Outdoors. Don’t see much reason to wear anything else, they’re the same prices as a t-shirt and I’m going on a bike ride, not a fashion shoot.

The only stuff I wear other than that (depending on weather) is a proper Scott long-sleeved cycle jersey that was down to sub-20 quid from about 80, or a thin Nike running tee, both from TK Maxx.

RustySpanner

Try Decathlon.

Cheap, comfy, serviceable and £7.99.

They go up to £39.99 for the really posh ones. 🙂

No, it’s not as good as Gore stuff, but it’s amazing value for the price.

The Aldi stuff will be in the shops in the first week in May BTW.
    I like it, I’ve got loads.
    Didn’t think the Lidl stuff was any good though, TBH.

stanfree
    Free Member

JJB sports normally does good deals on clima cool Under Armour Tees for about £15. Also old football tops again climacool Nike or adidas are normally fairly cheap.

backhander
    Free Member

Some people ride XC in t-shirts, some people ride XC in body armor – I know who look more stupid

Who?

Cougar

Try Decathlon.

Oh, nice one. Good spot, thanks for the link.

RustySpanner

We’ve got quite a bit of walking, climbing, cycling and camping stuff from there Cougar.

Not tried the more pricey stuff (breathable walking jackets, hiking boots etc) as I tend to stick with what I know, but the basics are superb and very good value – fleeces, shorts, base layers, jerseys, water bottles etc.

Their energy drink mix is very good value too and tastes fine.

The tents are excellent as well.

Terrible website though.

Cougar

We? Do you work there?

juiced
    Free Member

I like roots Canada T’s 😉 Don’t like cotton T shirts myself as I get chilly, even just messing about. However if it’s a little cold I like to ride in a t shirt and hoodie / jeans too for messing about, local little rides. that’s fine as the hoodie stops the chill. never just a t shirt though for offroad.more often than not for longer xc I use lidl and aldi specials!

RustySpanner

No, no connection at all!

I’ve got a partner and she buys some stuff from there as well.
    And no, we don’t do matching outfits 😀

I just object to the ridiculous prices of some of the bike specific brands:
    Have got a couple of items of Gore clothing, and yes, it’s superb.
    However, some of the Decathlon/Aldi stuff is just as good in the real world for a fraction of the price.

allyharp

I’ve always ridden in t-shirts and don’t own any cycling specific upper-body wear. Can’t say I’ve ever had a problem (been a bit sweaty under a rucksack, but that’s no big issue) so haven’t seen the need to compromise my pricing and fashion principles. Mind you, unless it’s a warm summer’s day I’m generally wearing a LIFA base layer underneath.

juiced
    Free Member

sports direct have some cycling bits too.

peterfile
    Free Member

My cycling wardrobe for every discipline consists of:

t-shirt (or hoody covering a wicking base layer), and cargo type shorts.

It’s only riding a bike about some dirt!

If i’m doing something epic, like an all day XC type ride, then I’ll wear something more appropriate if the weather requires it.

But seriously, I see people getting out of their cars at Stainburn with hi-tech cycle specific goretex kit on head to toe, in spring.

diggers
    Free Member

Get all my tops (long & short sleeve) from mountain warehouse 10 – 15 quid tops.

juiced
    Free Member

anyone waterproofed jeans successfully?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Apart from the sweatiness issue, I don’t know how people who wear cotton tops cope when they get a sudden downpour, or even persistent low-level drizzle – apart from staying wet for the rest of the ride of course.

A while back I got soaked by an unexpected heavy downpour during a road ride, I was actually wearing a long sleeved Brooks running top, about ten minutes after the rain had stopped my top was bone dry.

loddrik
    Free Member

Amazing…!! 🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 105 total)

The topic ‘Riding in T-shirts. The new niche?’ is closed to new replies.