Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Riding in sweltering heat
  • duntstick
    Free Member

Anyone got any tips for riding in such conditions , I try to wear little, drink lots, but still it knocks the bejeezuz out of me.

Much appreciated 🙂

neninja
    Free Member

Well vented helmet, decent wicking jersey, drink plenty of fluid (I always add SIS or Zero electrolyte mix)

If in forests I’ll often remove my sunglasses and helmet on long fireroad climbs. If I can keep my head cool I’m ok usually.

mrmo
    Free Member

Watch fluid intake, fluid is good but if you screw up and don’t replace the lost salt you will feel truly $hit. Probably worse than if you hadn’t bothered drinking at all.

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

Yes, don’t drink too much. I climbed Ventoux two years ago, it was about 30C at the bottom. Drank plenty, felt I needed to but but I overdid it.
    Three quarters up I got hickups brought on by liquid in my stomach compressing diaphram, and I could scarcely complete. Massively painful (hickups for me is bad news). It took several days for torn intercostals/diaphram pains to go away.

senorj

The following work for me.
    Drink loads before (previous day too),
    Electrolyte replacing tabs,
    Drink enough during,
    Set sensible pace for the length of the ride,
    I also have to cover my head,beneath helmet,with buff type thing as the vents let the sun in.
    (Balding fair headed person) 😕
    If its very hot I’ll let the buff cover the back of my neck.
    Oh,and loads of sunprotection cream for all exposed areas.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Relax and take your time? stop to have picnics / look at teh views?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ride as hard as possible to get it overwith quickly and thereby sweat less 😛

cheshirecat
    Free Member

For me it’s sip (rather than gulp) an electrolyte drink and have something salty to eat (nuts, Bombay mix etc.)

The Buff tip above is also good. Spain last year was 35+ degrees, and the buff seemed to absorb the sweat and help it evaporate. It also stopped the sweat mixed with sunblock getting in my eyes.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

set a pace that’s within your aerobic 2 – 3 zone is the key. Only top quality wicking material no cotton ever (cold or hot).

IdleJon

duntstick – Member
    Anyone got any tips for riding in such conditions , I try to wear little, drink lots, but still it knocks the bejeezuz out of me.

Much appreciated

Where are you riding? We haven’t had an extended heatwave in this country for a few years.

I haven’t got a senible answer to your question – I don’t seem to have a problem with riding/running in the heat. I rode in 40 degrees in Morrocco and last year ran a marathon in Kenya in 30+degrees. Once you are moving you generate a breeze so maybe just get on with it and ride? Obviously drink plenty, make sure you don’t burn.

mountaincarrot – Member
    I climbed Ventoux two years ago, it was about 30C at the bottom.

I rode the Etape in 2000 when it finished at the summit of Ventoux. 30ish degrees at the bottom, 2 degrees and snowing on top!

RealMan
    Free Member

Pouring water over your head and chucking the water bottle to the side of the road doesn’t cool you down as much as drinking it (and then chucking the bottle), even if it looks pro. But if you’ve got plenty of water, it still cools you down. Feels brilliant too.

Get a haircut. Wear as little as possible. MTFU.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Riding in sweltering heat’ is closed to new replies.