Riding in Perth WA

Home Forum Bike Forum Riding in Perth WA

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Riding in Perth WA
  • Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Coming over in a couple of weeks for work and so long as I get the right plane I have enough luggage to bring the bike.

Which one should I bring mountain or road. Just need to get some post work exercise in and keep sane. Will be city based and won’t have a car.

Failing that apart from a trip round to little creatures in freo what else is worth it for some evening entertainment/food/drink?

Lester

Hi Mike
    i used to go to Perth every other year, i would take a helmet and buy a second hand road bike whch i would donate to the church when i left ( in laws ran their own church!)
    i stayed in Morley.
    i would cycle towards the coast and get as far as i could and then struggle back. i tried to go further each day than i did the day before and it was great when i reached the coast execpt i went onto a dog beach by accident 🙂
    but i loved Perth although i found the road surface rarely smooth

Marmoset

Bring the road bike if your staying in the city, plenty of rides around on the shared paths and you get some good views by the river (scenery or otherwise!) It’ll take an age to get out to the trails without a car (or even with one, driving after work!) so that kinda precludes the mtb.

Shout up when you’re over if you fancy a beer/ride. Northbridge can be “entertaining” A trip to Freo is worth it as it’s a good contrast to the city.

Rich

tlr

My in-laws live Morley area, I usually take my road bike.

There are some decent loops, and even a hill or two if you head out Kalamunda way, or a nice road round via Si O’Connor dam.

Or head north through Whitman park towards Ellenwood.

I have tried riding coastward, but seemed a bit daffy and busy, and I really didn’t get on with the PSP cycle path thing, although the bit by the Swan is ok for a pootle.

Just beware of the heat and the sun.

aphex_2k

Round the river is a good loop. About 50km or so.

Premier Icon WildHunter2009
    Subscriber

The weathers perfect for any kind of riding at the moment to be honest. Roads a lot easier, I think the only offroad you can really do without a car is the Goat Farm which is more DH and 4x. Skill section is fun though.

But… totally worth hiring a car and hitting up the kalamunda trails. Loads of new stuff and its riding brilliantly at the moment. Really really green and the flowers are still out in force.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Cheers guys, think it will be road as I will be only grabbing some evening rides after work and as I’m running a training course there is a chunk of extra work for some of the evenings. Finalising the dates this week so hopefully over soon.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Bumping it back up, roadie is getting packed and over on Monday. What time is it light till? Going to be doing the river loop and a few others and wondering if I should throw the lights in?

longmover

It’s getting dark around 6.30 at the moment. Get some mossie repellent or you will be eaten alive by the river.

Premier Icon hoodoo
    Subscriber

Maybe get the ferry from Freo to Rottnest Island and cycle round it?

aphex_2k

^ That’s pretty pricey. I think last time I went it was a special deal and something like $70 with my bike. Saw LOADS of snakes on the paths though.

Round the rivers is a good run and should keep you busy for a couple of hours. Nice evening ride that.

I found some nice (but quite sandy) riding up at Manning Park. Could almost say it was a bit hilly too and some rocky sections – a good find on my doorstep!

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

hoodoo – Member
    Maybe get the ferry from Freo to Rottnest Island and cycle round it?

been an done about 5 years ago, not going to bother going back….

on business so just trying to avoid the Belgium bar opposite the hotel for as long as possible…

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

So ticked a few laps of the river, most of the climbing was on the bridge ut the headwind made me work.

Long day today so a trip to freo and little creatures it is, there are definitely some things I miss about Perth 🙂

Premier Icon colin9
    Subscriber

on business so just trying to avoid the Belgium bar opposite the hotel for as long as possible…

Cranked up a $300 bar bill in that place in about three hours a few years back, matched only by the scale of my hangover the next morning.

Marmoset

So ticked a few laps of the river, most of the climbing was on the bridge but the headwind made me work.

I think the 360 degree head wind is a curious local phenomenon, I’ve not ridden anywhere where I can feel so deflated on doing a 180 at the top end of a ride!!

farm-boy

Cranked up a $300 bar bill in that place in

Just a small round was it?

Premier Icon WildHunter2009
    Subscriber

Perths 360 deg headwind has caught me out/broken me utterly on more than a few occasions. You think ” aaah a beautiful sunset ride down the indian ocean” but actually its a head down, gear dropping death slog!

Riding Riding Riding yada yada yada…

Surely we should be organising the inaugural ‘Singletrackworld Southern Hemispere Division Drink Ale and Then Fall Off Bikes’ event!

Marmoset

That’s a good point o_h_h.

Although I’d like to point out that I can fall off my bike without any of these performance enhancing drinks 😀

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

one_happy_hippy – Member
    Riding Riding Riding yada yada yada…

Surely we should be organising the inaugural ‘Singletrackworld Southern Hemispere Division Drink Ale and Then Fall Off Bikes’ event!
    Belgian bar 30 minutes?

Marmoset

I was just mounting up to ride home not far from there when you posted this! Have one for me 🙂

Nuts, got stuck at work and didn’t have time to check back in. Free over the weekend for ale consumption, other than that I’ll probably be hanging around Mundering with a shovel and possibly a hardtail seeing as I broke the forks on my Nomad…

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

My turn to be late to reply just got to Melbourne though looking like more trips to come.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Riding in Perth WA’ is closed to new replies.