Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Riding in OZ / NZ
  • simonm
    Free Member

I’m off to Oz and NZ for a few weeks working but have a couple of days free hopefully to ride, Sydney, Brisbane and Auckland.

Can anyone recommend a trail centre type place where I can hire a bike and follow an trail network easly ?

Thanks in advance.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Auckland, you’ve got Woodhill within easy reach

mrbelowski
    Free Member

There’s some decent (well, mostly fire trail stuff) riding in the Blue Mountains and there were bike hire places in Katoomba when I was there in 2007 (train ride from Syndey).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    simonm
    Free Member

Cheers. Looks like Brisbane is now off so only options will be Sydney or Auckland.

epicyclo

Brisbane has the Bunya Forest. Enough to keep you amused for a day.

If you ride singlespeed and fit a medium bike, my son who lives close to Bunya will probably fix you up with my bike.

simonm
    Free Member

Cheers for the offer, thats really good of you, looks like I’m not going to Brisbane now 🙁

back2basics
    Free Member

woodhill is quite sandy….

Mackem

Some riding from Sutherland (South of Sydney on Train).

simonm
    Free Member

thanks, B2B (good club btw !) refering to woodhill as Sandy, is the rain an issue for trails at this time of year ?

Kahurangi

There’s a new bike park (440/ fourforty) about an hour away from Auckland

http://spokemagazine.com/2014/02/25/30482/

but if you’re driving an hour out of Auckland, you’d might as well carry on to Rotorua 🙂

NZCol

Fly into Akl then drive to Rotorua, get a motel or a cabin at the Rotorua Thermal Park and ride your little socks off.

caffeineoldbean
    Free Member

When are you in Sydney? I may be able to loan you my bike. Couple of good trails in Sydney that are easy to follow. Manly dam and old man’s valley in Hornsby. Check them out on youtube.

simonm
    Free Member

Hi caffeine, Old mans valley looks spot on, easy access. I should be there to ride either Friday 13th or Sat 14th June or maybe both at moment. Many thanks for bike offer, I’ve also found a place Re-zycle that appear to hire.

Any MTB Guides work in the area ?

simonm
    Free Member

NZcol, looks like no time to ride in NZ now 🙁

NZCol

Boo, oh well. Next time.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Sat here in Rotorua, worth the 3hr drive from Auckland, like all of your favourite trail centres in one place. Shame you won’t make it!

Sydney has loads, take a look on Rotorburn for some local help too.
    http://www.singletracks.com/Australia-bike-trails_78.html
    Local to Brisbane not sure but not been able to get out the city when I get up there.

caffeineoldbean
    Free Member

Old mans valley is great. About 45min from city and easy to get to. It is all one way trail and now pretty much singletrack all the way round. It has everything you need for a small area and the new 3 km section has some fairly good jumps if thats your thing. Not much climbing involved so great for getting a few laps in.
    If you are in or near the city omv and Manly dam would be closest for you. Sydney is massive and most good rides are more than an hours drive, Blue Mountains 2hr. They close all the legal trails here when it rains and not happy when people still ride them in the wet. But it hardly rains and dries out real quick.
    Like mikewsmith says, Rotorburn is a good forum for local stuff here. The offer is still available on the bike Yeti 575 med or Cotic Soul. I may be able to get a ride in with you ,if you want my email is in my profile. Cheers.

simonm
    Free Member

thanks for the info Chaps, thanks for the bike offer !

Medium will be a bit big for my little legs, I’ll drop you an email though. Manly Dam looked good.

Cheers,

Simon.

simonm
    Free Member

It rained ! Hornsby and Manley trails closed. Australian customs cleaned my shoes on the way in, 3 months of britsh mud on them, nice and shiney now.

Now im in NZ, think I’ve got time for Woodhill before flying home.

Cheers.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s 3hrs to rotorua and it’s worth it!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Riding in OZ / NZ’ is closed to new replies.