Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 120 total)
  • Riding in London…(riding content)
  • duntmatter
    Free Member

Cheers to psychle for the inspiration here.

CaptainFlashheart, nicko74, jfeb, jedi, Rudeboy, whippersnapper, Lanesra, everybody else in London..lurkers..the lot. Stand up and be counted!

Let’s do a London ride. We can cobble together the bits we each know and build a good ride. Beer and tea may be involved.

I’ll kick off. I live in Angel. Bits of note that I know are Hampstead Heath, Regent’s canal west of the Islington tunnel, the disused railway from Finsbury Park to Highgate and Ally Pally, plus town.

What’s your patch?

smurf
    Free Member

I’m in Ealing. Are you looking at offroad, onroad or a mix?

…I can see the what tyre threads already 🙂

smurf

Stoner
    Free Member

sunday morning is best in the square mile. The alley ways around threadneedle are fun, plus street furniture around and about. Paddington basin buildings where they meet the basin have some great amphitheatre steps. Also steps in front of Aviva building off leadenhall. GLA steps, steps at the end of the millenium bridge – ride over to the Tate modern and do the south thames path.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Ooh! Can I come???

I’m planning a London Pootle in Spring, but might have to limit the numbers a bit, as I’ve been getting quite a bit of interest! Dunno how Her Maj’s Finest might take to an organised group getting together in a public place..

I’m always up for an urban adventure. I love just pottering around, looking at stuff, exploring, discovering little hidden secrets. London surely does have so much to offer.

I have a loop that starts down by me; Poplar in east London, then follows the River Lee up to Springfield Park, then over to Finsburg, and along aforementioned the disused railway line to Highgate. Then, it’s only a short distance to Hampstead Heath, for some spectacular views of the city. Then, you’ve earned some really good, long, fast, scary road descents, down into Camden. Along the canal to Paddington Basin, then down across Hyde Park and along to the River.

You could also do a nice flat river ride, along the Thames, from the City, to Canary Wharf, then on through the industrial bit to Silvertown, and across on the Woolwich Ferry ( a real treat!). Back along the south side, past the Dome, to Greenwich. Stop for a beer or snack, then head back into town, either via Deptford, or through the tunnel and up through the Isle of Dogs.

I do have several other routes, but that’s just a couple to give people an idea. Using the River or canals are a really good way of avoiding traffic, and having a quieter, more peaceful ride.

I think I might actually go for a pootle later on!

Goodgey
    Free Member

I’m in Hampton court area so a ride around London would be good!!

duntmatter
    Free Member

This is great.

smurf – I’m thinking about a mix. Some road’s going to be inevitable in London, but it’s more about what’s interesting than what’s road / off-road. Stoner’s steps sound interesting.

Rudeboy – what are dibble going to do? Chase us? I’m not mad keen on riding long sections of canal. You can never let rip in case there’s someone round the next corner. They’re also a bit flat. I like the sound of your loop though.

South and West people, where could you show us?

djglover
    Free Member

I’m in Ealing. Are you looking at offroad, onroad or a mix?

…I can see the what tyre threads already

smurf

Me too smurf.

Could also be up for this

psychle
    Free Member

I’ll be in… I’ll just have to hope I’m not working (looking at my roster I’m off next Sunday 22FEB or then it’s not till 29MAR for me! 🙁 )

As for tyres, go the Maxxis Hookworms or Schwalbe Big Apples… perfect for urban MTB’s!

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Rudeboy – what are dibble going to do?

People need to be mindful that the Ancient Babylonians can, if they are being particularly obstructive, force a large group of cyclists to disperse. Under the Criminal Justice act. I’ve heard of such things happening. Very, very unlikely, though, fortunately! Although people might need to be a little careful about hooning down steps and that, as this sort of ‘juvenile behaviour’ can attract unwanted Porcine attention.

Canals; see your point, and not the best, with a larger group, speshly on a weekend. The Lee is a lot quieter than the Regents, speshly the bit near Caymden.

I’d be up for one South and West exploration, though, as I’ve not really been over that side of town too often.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Psychle; spot on about the tyres, speshly the Big Apples! Perfect for urban blatting!

(Slaps own forehead, as he remembers he gave his Big Apples away to a friend)

Lanesra
    Free Member

Count me in, nothing too long though as I’ve been out of action for a couple of months, rode 10 miles yesterday and was wrecked 😳

Like Stoner I usually head for the city on a Sunday morning then end up crossing the millennium bridge and going along the Thames path, its very busy with tourists though, so is usually just an amble along. Though there’s several pubs with large outdoor areas for stacking up bikes.

IsaacClarke
    Free Member

I’m in!!

: )

Hairychested
    Free Member

Hampton here! When are we riding and where? I’ve been told I need to take some time off (as I peed someone off properly) so almost any day is cool. Looking forward to you lot!

aP
    Free Member

We’re working out a River Crane loop which could be extended to cover Twickenham/ Hampton Court and also out to Harefield.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

i’m in Kentish Town so nomally I ride the north, hampstead heath, lea valley and up in hertfordshire too. Count me in for a ride sometime, booked up for a bit at the mo though.

Lanesra
    Free Member

It should be a central(ish) start/finish to start with, then once the group is up and running divert to the far flung corners of London

pk-ripper
    Free Member

Surbiton / Kingston here – tend to blat the North Downs though and use the road bikes for most other stuff.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Well, if anyone has any suggestions of quirky/interesting little routes that they know of, then the more the merrier! Me, I don’t give a fig if it’s not ‘Rad’ or ‘Gnarly’, Dude; I really enjoy just pootling about and looking at stuff. Be fun to discover even more of London. I’ve done loads of rides like this, with friends. Off roading is fun and exciting and all that, but sometimes, it’s good to just ride along and see intersting and unusual stuff. And let’s face it, this massive city’s got tons of that, on offer! Whether it’s a Kosher pork butchers, a Sikh barbers, or a 15th century Hindu temple constructed entirely out of recycled mobile phones, there’s always something fascinating to find!

pk-ripper
    Free Member

Might I suggest a tour de force of wine bars, delicatessens, and also beauty departments of department stores. Fred, I guess you’d be first on the list for that?

Hairychested
    Free Member

a 15th century Hindu temple constructed entirely out of recycled mobile phones

RB, do you mean Carphone Warehouse?

Lanesra
    Free Member

The problem is distance as parts of London are an arse to get to/from.

If there’s a consensus that this will happen/be a regular occurrence, the best solution is we all meet central one morning then take it (or argue about it) from there.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I think, for an initial ride, something like a wander around the City might be good. Central, gives people a chance to meet, and discuss ideas for future rides. Easier for people to get home after, too, as they can use the trains if they live some distance away. A Sunday would be good, as there’s so few people and traffic about.

Deffo think ending up in a pub (that’s PUB, PK, not Wine Bar…) afterwards is obligatory, really!

christofalus
    Free Member

A ride taking in central London sounds good to me, so count me in. Sunday morning when the streets are empty has definitely got to be the best time. I sometimes cycle from Hampton Court to the Southbank along the Thames, once I reach the Southbank I ride up and down the skaters area aimlessly a couple of times and then head back as I haven’t quite worked out where to go next yet, but with a bit planning I am sure there could be a fantastic loop in the city, only problem is all the rozers who hang around making sure no-one blows anything up. Reminds me of some film footage of skaters in the late 70s tearing through Covent Garden on skinny boards , before the chrome anglez had done their thing there…A loop which incorporated the area along the Thames where a clockwork orange was filmed would be cool.

Lanesra
    Free Member

How about all meeting by the eye then head up to Westminster, Trafalgar Square, Covent Garden, Holborn, Smithfield’s, City, St Paul’s, Tower Bridge etc.., then across the Millennium Bridge to the pubs along the south bank?

psychle
    Free Member

I hope I’m free for this ride… it’ll be good to meet some London MTB’ers 🙂 BTW, if we’re going to a pub we’ll need some big ass locks with us!

Lanesra
    Free Member

A couple of pubs have huge outside areas, can’t remember there names but the one after the golden hind *edit it’s the golden hinde* has a huge outside area, as does the one just after the Tate (the round one)then the next one after the tunnel has a large outside area as well

psychle
    Free Member

true… but it’s going to be chilly ain’t it? when are we planning this ride?

bbAardvark
    Free Member

Count me in – I’m in South Woodford (hopefully work won’t clash).

Lanesra
    Free Member

Even better then across Charing Cross bridge to the Tattersall Castle, best pub in London and they have heaters on the top deck

http://www.fancyapint.com/pubs/pub1503.html

pk-ripper
    Free Member

Fred will agree for sure, there’s Gordons wine bar that has plenty of space outside at embankment. And wine.

Andy

I’d cross the M25 for this as well. Had almost givn up waiting for Fred to organise something 🙄

RudeBoy
    Free Member

where a clockwork orange was filmed

You mean Thamesmead. It is proper rough. That’s quite some way out east, tbh. Way past Greenwich and Woolwich.

PK, we are not going to some poncy whine bar. They are for ponces. Besides, a lot of places are actually closed on Sundays. I like the idea of the Golden Hinde, as there’s a bit round the back, and you can sit inside if it’s cold, and still keep an eye on the bikes. Good idea to bring a lock though, to lock the bikes together. Yopu’ve actually got a few pubs in that area, where you can sit outside. Some of them even serve whine…

Andy; my planned ride is for the spring, when it’s warmer. May actually be a closed ride, tbh,; restricted to Soft Southern Shandy Drinkers and invited guests, or it could get too big.

There will be plenty of opportunities for rides, though. I’m up for just meeting up with one or two bods, for localised rides.

Lanesra
    Free Member

**** hell, can you imagine us lot (not casting aspersions on anyone before i’ve met them) turning up at Gordon’s on a Sunday lunchtime – They wouldn’t know what hit them

Sandwich

Thamesmead thats South of the river mate. I don’t go there as passports are needed!

duntmatter
    Free Member

Good stuff! There’s clearly enough of us that want to do a London ride. Central to begin with is a good idea. Lanesra’s suggestion’s a good one. On a Sunday morning too.

We can do pootles with a few of us, or roll deep. Rides with smaller numbers are more flexible, with one or two people showing the way. Ones with lots of us need to have an idea of a route before setting off, or they’ll stumble and fragment.

Chilly, psychle? Gloves!

Who else could make February 22nd?

Hairychested
    Free Member

I probably could, but would prefer something a bit later, it might get warmer.

RepacK
    Free Member

There is always Richmond Pk but it sounds like some of you might prefer to get a few shots in before coming saarrffff of der river!

senorj

Hello.
    I’m in East Finchley .
    I ride off road in Epping , lanes etc around Herts.
    I sometimes commute to Stevenage either up the Great North Way or
    the Lea Valley up to Ware.
    You cant avoid the roads.
    Weekend in the city is a spooky place(in a good way) to play out.
    If you get out very early the casualties of the previous evenings frivolities are a great alternative to wildlife spotting!

I would like to try out Rudeboy’s Poplar/Highgate trot.

Can’t make the 22 tho’,Mother in law.
    please keep me posted.
    J.

Lanesra
    Free Member

A tentative yes for me on the 22nd – will confirm later

bbAardvark
    Free Member

Alas 22nd is a no go for me I’m afraid.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 120 total)

The topic ‘Riding in London…(riding content)’ is closed to new replies.