Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Riding in Korea
  • ourkidsam
    Free Member

Anybody ever ridden in South Korea? Specifically on Jeju island. I might be visiting and there’s a big volcano in the middle which looks ripe for riding. Does anyone have any experience of it?

thepodge
    Free Member

No but it sounds fancy

This looks to be of some use

tails
    Free Member

No I haven’t ridden but there is certainly scope as the country is littered with hills/mountains (san as they call them)

Your main problem is there seem few riders, the trails I saw were either to overgrown or made for hiking not riding. The bikers I saw just rode along the river or coastal paths which were flat and boring.

I did not visit Jeju but I’m sure there is bike hire, whether these bikes are up to scratch for hammering down a mountain I’m doubtful.

Perhaps try lonely planet or visit korea websites. How come your visiting Korea? The food is quality and cheap gimbap and bulgogi or my favourites.

ourkidsam
    Free Member

A friend of mine lives there, started teaching about a month ago. It’s an excuse to go somewhere I wouldn’t normally I guess. Who knows, I might soon be out of work and stay there. Provided there’s riding of course!

Yeah she says she’s loving the food

Pook

go and get some decent nosh then Sam 😉

tails
    Free Member

Cool, probably best to go in autumn or spring, I visited in summer which was super humid, winter is supposed to be very cold, although they have great skiing I’m led to believe.

I’ve thought about doing a CELTA course and teaching as you can earn decent money in east asia and I love asia, but the CELTA websites provide far to much information which varies from website to website. I feel it is an unregulated, verging on cowboy industry.

ourkidsam
    Free Member

To teach in Korea you go through either EPIK or another gov. sponsored program, or you can get an agency to do the donkey work for you. A lot of Brits use these guys I’m told.

Did you go to Jeju tails?

tails
    Free Member

Yeah I’ve seen the EPIK program it appeals to me more than going straight into a private academy, although you can apply using just your degree, I would prefer to do a teaching course for the sake of both myself an the learners.

No I visit Seoul, Busan, Gyeongju, Cheongju, Boryeong. I hope to return and visit Jeju, Bosyeong, Ulsan and maybe the DMZ. If I lived their I’d 100% take my push bike!

Bream
    Free Member

I was in Seoul earlier this year and wanted to ride MTB whilst there, perks of the job etc as I always try and ride whatever country I’m visiting.

In the end I got a ride out with a US guy now living in Seoul, he personally loaned me a bike and took me out to show me his local trails, and all on a Tuesday night. The guy was a legend and I was extremely grateful, wouldn’t even take some beer money for his time and efforts.

Your best bet is to sign up with MTB Korea Yahoo group, introduce yourself and ask what going on whilst your there. They are a great bunch and if you’re nice someone should be able to help out.

Next time I go I’ll be sure to stay the weekend so I can ride with the group further afield, but I had a fantastic evenings ride bombing round the urbanish trails on the shirts of Seoul finishing off with an ace decent in the dark with big lights.

Lots of great riding in South Korea, if you know where to go etc.

Good luck and have fun.

ourkidsam
    Free Member

Awesome, cheers Bream!

Tails – with EPIK my friend did the 120 hour TEFL course, as the local Jeju gov. required it, and you get paid a bit more if you’ve got it

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Riding in Korea’ is closed to new replies.