Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Riding habits you'd like to see the back of….
  • Following on from the bike products thread, I was inspired to start this one. I’m sure some pretty petty comments will be made, maybe including mine, but I’ll get it started……

Night riding – when off road and blasting DH through woods, please turn off your frikkin red strobe led in front. I can see where you are perfectly well without that annoying the hell out of me.

Slower riders – and you know full well you are a slower rider, please don’t be rushing to be second down the best hill of the night, because even leaving a good minutes gap someone will be up your arse and all over their brakes at some point.

Top of the hill – the bloke at the back is generally at the back for a reason. This doesn’t mean it’s ok for the fitter riders to hang around having a breather, then set off when the slowest rider is 20yds away – and no, it’s not always me at the back 😉

If you’ve stalled, or come off your line, the world doesn’t revolve around you getting back on your bike – other people might want a clear run…

Any more?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Riding bikes without brakes around cities and endangering other road users
    RLJing cockwipes
    Chavs being able to wheelie far better than me! 😉

RealMan
    Free Member

30 minutes of faff before actually starting to ride.

Stopping everyone to faff.

As for the red rear lights on a night ride, nothing wrong with them, as long as they’re not flashing.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Top of the hill – the bloke at the back is generally at the back for a reason. This doesn’t mean it’s ok for the fitter riders to hang around having a breather, then set off when the slowest rider is 20yds away – and no, it’s not always me at the back

It’s usualy me, and I quite like not waiting as it mean I’ll (hopefully) get fitter and therefore not be at the back.

racefaceec90

actually riding my bike (as i don’t ride anywhere like as much as i’d like to due to depression/laziness and cough jeremy kyles 😯 😳

jackthedog
    Free Member

I’d like to see myself remember when I’m out on the mountain bike bursting my knees to get up a steep climb that I have 26 more gears at my disposal than the SS commuter I ride every day.

Militant_biker

As for the red rear lights on a night ride, nothing wrong with them, as long as they’re not flashing.

Plenty wrong with them on an off-road night ride! Distracting, even if on steady. As for the morons who have them on at night races after being specifically told not to by organisers 👿

beanieripper
    Free Member

Fat people not pulling their shorts/trousers up, so i’ve got their fat arse crack in my face as I pull up behind them..

Why the **** would any mong want/need a rear light at a night race?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

skidding, riding too close behind me

float
    Free Member

going so slow i have to ride right behind them 😛

in all seriousness though, i hate to see slower riders make too much of an effort to get out the way. i dont mind being held up for a bit if you want to pull over somewhere good.

beanieripper
    Free Member

and…riders that have stopped for a break dont have to adopt the Professor Brian Cox/catalogue man pose… biking gear doesnt make you look like a hero you know.

chakaping
    Free Member

jeremy kyles

Riding is excellent treatment for them, no excuses there!

Stoner
    Free Member

you have a lot of people around when you go night riding it seems.

I find I dont get any of those problems when It’s just me out there 🙂

retro83
    Free Member

High fiving on the trail. Also skinny fitness freaks who smugly cruise past on the uphills then hold me up on the downhills. OI TWIGGY, FATTO COMING THOUGH!!

brakes
    Free Member

riding with a half-inflated tyre…
    I saw hundreds of commuters with tyres with 10 psi in
    get a pump you dumbass

large418
    Free Member

Seeing people riding with their instep on the pedals, it’s so wrong it makes me want to shout at you! You clearly have no idea how to ride a bike!

vinnyeh

people who ride inappropriate bikes for the conditions- you wouldn’t head off into the mountains with trainers and a tracksuit on, and no coat, so why hit Llandegla with a rigid or short travel xc bike.

Kevevs
    Free Member

Sessioning. Hanging about while someone “sessions” a bit over and over and over till they’ve “nailed” it. booooring.

Militant_biker

you have a lot of people around when you go night riding it seems.

Only one park here that sanctions night riding here, and then only once a month 😥

chakaping
    Free Member

You should all go on a ride together, I reckon there’d be a punch-up within the first 500m.

thegman67

Slow riders that for some reason think there fast and should be up at the front on a Wed night club ride u know who u are

ahwiles
    Free Member

‘muggles’* riding/commuting with their saddle too low.

(*a term i’m using to describe normal human beings – you know, those human beings who don’t spend every waking moment thinking about bikes)

kennyp
    Free Member

Tossers riding full pelt down the blue at Glentress on a busy Saturday morning, thinking they are cool and barging past less experienced riders (for whom the blue is aimed at) and putting them off. If you’re really a good rider go ride the black. All you’re doing is showing off.

No harm in going flat out on the blue, but wait till the trails are empty. And if you come up behind a slower rider then be polite.

kennyp
    Free Member

Sessioning. Hanging about while someone “sessions” a bit over and over and over till they’ve “nailed” it. booooring.

To be fair though, they might just be practising a bit to get it right, thereby becoming a better rider. Especially on trails where there may only be one or two difficult bits.

mrmo
    Free Member

people who faff,
    people who stop to have a picnic in the middle of the trail.
    people who think that it is ok to blast public trails with walkers/dogs around.

mrlugz
    Free Member

Not checking over your shoulder before you set off again after your little breather….

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ll go for the nobs who try and ride “urban” on mtb’s, I mean the trails are where it’s at around me, not the pavements near schools and blind alleys where the oldies live.. leave it aaaart, ride the woods man.

And another one.. long compression socks.. You look like a footballist.

Northwind

Especially while racing- don’t charge in front of people right at the end of a fire road climb, then ride with your brakes deathlocked on down the descents while not getting out of the ****ing way.

Actually on that note- no walking over features then jumping back on immediately in front of someone who rode it and expecting them to stop for you.

At a trail centre- if you’re fast, don’t wait for someone else to go first then immediately chase after them. I don’t care how much of a man it makes you feel. Leave a gap or go first. But MOST OF ALL if you absolutely must do it, don’t complain about being held up!

Never describe a trail or feature as unrideable to someone who you’ve just seen ride it.

Also never ride a trail using all the chicken runs and shortcuts, then complain afterwards that it’s too easy. And as a wee extension of that, never take a 160mm bike to a manmade trail and complain that it’s too smooth.

People of Glentress! Don’t pretend that the hire bike you’re on is your own. It says HIRE BIKE on it with massive stickers.

druidh
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    People of Glentress! Don’t pretend that the hire bike you’re on is your own. It says HIRE BIKE on it with massive stickers.

????

cplater1
    Free Member

so why hit Llandegla with a rigid or short travel xc bike.

Because Llandegla is fine with 100mm.

speckledbob
    Free Member

People who don’t look after their bikes and faf with them on every Wednesday night ride.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

people who ride inappropriate bikes for the conditions- you wouldn’t head off into the mountains with trainers and a tracksuit on, and no coat, so why hit Llandegla with a rigid or short travel xc bike.

That’s a bit of a contradiction, anything but short travel is inappropriate for there.

Marko

I got invited out with the ‘Dudes’ once to ‘own the track’. I was a sceptic, but had a conversion. It’s very sociable, loads of taking the piss and my riding improved no end, as did my pushing. ‘Secret track’ – naturally!

So you’re wrong. You need to find some ‘Dudes’ to hang out with.
    Marko

crankinirish
    Free Member

People who don’t maintain/have noisy, rattly bikes. FFS set your gears up properly and oil your chain!

deviant
    Free Member

The whole long travel thing and the attitude that it is absolutely positively necessary….bollocks.
    I was riding the same sort of terrain i ride now back in the 90s as a teenager on a rigid GT Avalanche….i was probably making a better fist of it then too!

Noticed all those trials riders taking jumps, drops and negotiating far more technical obstacles than you’ll find at a trail centre?….they’re doing it without 160mm of suspension travel at each end….is Danny MacAskill riding full suspension?….is he bollocks, its down to rider skill….if you genuinely feel you ‘need’ 160mm of travel then i suggest you take a long hard look at your riding techniques.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Baggy Shorts
    Slack geometry
    Wheel suckers
    Soft pedalers
    crystal crankers
    hairy legs

Alejandro
    Free Member

It was absolutely fine on my 100mm travel hardtail, including all the black runs… am I missing something? 😕

vinnyeh

The whole long travel thing and the attitude that it is absolutely positively necessary….bollocks.
    I was riding the same sort of terrain i ride now back in the 90s as a teenager on a rigid GT Avalanche….i was probably making a better fist of it then too!
    ….if you genuinely feel you ‘need’ 160mm of travel then i suggest you take a long hard look at your riding techniques.

deviant – Member
    The steep soil section at the bottom of stage 1 had me over the bars twice, glad to see i wasnt the only one having problems with it….in retrospect i should’ve pushed the bike down like the bloke in the video….probably wouldnt be typing this from the sofa loaded up on ibuprofen and tramadol with a stiff back!

🙂 Sorry, couldn’t resist but your comments had stuck in my mind when I read it the other day..

angryratio
    Free Member

People who are stressed about everyone else on a bike.
    Chill out, smile and look up or you’ll crash.

Oh and gobshite glentress syndrome.. shaddup… your twisting my melon man

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Riding habits you'd like to see the back of….’ is closed to new replies.