Riding glasses (photochromic)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Riding glasses (photochromic)
  • Looking for recommendations

Currently riding with Endura Masai which have been good.  Before that Specialized Chicane (which were even better as had an orange tint).

Neither are availed now and neither co seems to have an equivalent model in their ranges.

Oakley lenses are lovely but I think their riding glasses are overdesigned and overpriced. The Prizm lenses especially good but dont believe they’ll work as well as photochromic in UK woodland riding.

So – full frame, probably some venting so they dont mist up, wrap around enough to shield from wind. Photochromic. What are the best options?

mrlebowski

Stick with Endura.

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber
    globalti

Shopic. But only your optician will be able to get them.

Premier Icon onewheelgood
    Subscriber

Rudy Project Rydon.

Premier Icon rugbydick
    Subscriber

I got some Julbo Zebra ones while I was in France over the summer. Thoroughly impressed with them.

Light enough to work in Scottish woodland and dark enough for an Alpine summer.

legend

Oakley lenses are lovely but I think their riding glasses are overdesigned and overpriced. The Prizm lenses especially good but dont believe they’ll work as well as photochromic in UK woodland riding.

Just to (not really) help, I bloody love my Oakley EV Range Photochromics

Premier Icon Bez
    Subscriber

Don’t forget you can buy some frames you like and have them reglazed. Might work out more expensive, might work out cheaper, but does give you more options (unless you want a single-lens style).

Premier Icon nemesis
    Subscriber

EBay oakley fit lenses – I can’t tell the difference between them and my genuine oakley ones EXCEPT  that the eBay ones are thinner

kazafaza

Tifosi Camrock. Also own a pair of discontinued Endura bins and these are just as great.

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

I really like my Oakley Clear Black Iridium photochromic lenses for winter riding, but actually the other 3 seasons I prefer the Prizm Trail, which is a superb lens IMO.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

I have some BBB Winner photochromics (Tredz sell em) – the actual tint change on the lens is superb, properly dark to clear.

Thing is, I need a new pair as the old ones are so scratched – they really need looking after, which isn’t ideal for mtb glasses. So I might look for something different. £50 is a fair price for glasses, imo. So if you’re good to them the Winners are a … you know 🙂

bigyinn

I got some from Decathlon, wern’t silly expensive either.

Premier Icon mcnultycop
    Subscriber

I’d have said Rad-8 a few months ago; however after buying the £25ish Decathlon Photochromic glasses when I forgot to take some glasses with me in a ride (can’t remember the model number) they are about as good as the Rad-8.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

£25ish Decathlon Photochromic glasses

£29.99

BUY ONLINE
    Product not available online

🙁

plus one

Oakley here I’ve a pair of jawbreakers bought cheap.ish online. Picked up photochromic lens off eBay £18.99 it’s splendid.

nash

After my Specialized Adaptalites retired I’ve tried several replacements with photochromic lenses on the cheaper end of the scale, including a pair of Rad8, and found a pair of Endura Mullet the best.  think the vents in the lenses help keep them clear too.  I was lucky to get them on sale from Evans, unfortunately they’re back to full price.

Endura Mullet here as well, which are my go to glasses for trails and days in the hills..

Also Tifosi, which the Mrs uses and rates highly in a frameless design.

P-X / On-one have some Carnac & Briko photochromics at very reasonable prices too, I was wearing the fluo-yellow, framed, clear to chromic Briko this morning from full darkness to sunrise, quite happily.

Premier Icon Nobby
    Subscriber

I really like my Oakley Clear Black Iridium photochromic lenses for winter riding

Ditto

BBB and Rudy Project are semi-frameless – I prefer enclosed.

Julbo didn’t seem very good quality when i saw them at Ard Rock and expensive with it.

The only current model endura’s with wide range photochromic seem to be the FS260 which arent bad value but have 2 lenses as well as the photochromic, which i’ll Never use.

Tifosi a good tip – the STW review highlights some models to check from their huge range as well. Decathlon also sound good and cheap.  RAD8 504 look good too.

I’ve got a pair of the Ribble ones; about £25 IIRC.  Work quite well in and out of the trees.  Not the classiest looking though, if that matters.

Endura do good ones, though  if you are getting on (like me) and need to work the gps loads, try BBB with a +1.5 lens set in the base of the lens.

Premier Icon Rusty Spanner
    Subscriber

After inevitably losing my Oakleys, I took a punt on the Decathlon ones.

Very good, have now bought another pair to stash in the car.

No noticable lens distortion, which put me off all the other cheaper ones I’ve tried previously.

They do a minimalist running version and an MTB pair. Slightly different fit so worth trying both IME.

lardman

Just bought some Endura Massai glasses a week ago. Still available (eBay store in Spain) arrived swiftly.

Premier Icon FOG
    Subscriber

I too bought some Decathlon photochromic as a spare pair for the road but seem to use them more than any other sunnies I own on road and mtb

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

got rad8s here, excellent for full summer & night riding. liked them so much i got the prescription version too. feel so comfy i forget I’m wearing them

Tifosi for me. I have a few pairs and really like them.

Premier Icon jonswhite
    Subscriber

Adidas Zonyk Vario. Great lens and goggle-like coverage. And don’t look shit.

Premier Icon Potdog
    Subscriber

The Rad8 photochromics are nice. The new Mud Hugger ones seem very good at not misting up. They’re full frames too.

Premier Icon Onzadog
    Subscriber

I agree with njee20. I use my Oakley clear/black photochromic in places like Greece but 99% of my technical riding is done year round in prizm trail.

Prizm really does make a difference.

andykentos

I have the adidas evil eye half rim pro vario, also available as a full lens.  Has the advantage of having small to large frame sizes and the legs are also adjustable for the angle.  Very good glasses.

Premier Icon onewheelgood
    Subscriber

The are some Rudy Projects on Sport Pursuit at the moment, with both Rydons and some full frame designs available in photochromic.

mooman

Another vote for the Oakley EV Photochromics here.

perfect for all U.K. type riding. Only slight niggle is that they don’t go too dark in hotter climates … although still go dark enough to prevent you squinting at the sun.

i bought a set of eBay copy replacement lenses for my EVs; the actual lenses were fine, but the size was a little smaller than the original .. prob on par with Asian fit sizes.

tpbiker

I have a set of white endura mullets for sale if any use? 22 quid posted.

Premier Icon medoramas
    Subscriber

Rad8 – great on full-sun rides as well as on total-darkness ones (tested recently). They are also very good in preventing misting up, as long as you’re moving, even in proper snail pace. When it is very humid (think autumnal night ride after a warm day) the anti-fog coating will eventually give up when you stop or ride up very steep climb, but 2-3 seconds of just slightly faster spin will clear them up imminently.

Worth to mention: not just great glasses, but their customer support is beyond excellent!

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Well, I won’t be buying BBBs anymore – seen on the website that they don’t make the same model anymore.. why discontinue stuff, it’s so annoying. And the Winners have replaceable lenses, but you can’t buy replacement lenses. So that’s just stupid.

I did have Endura ones early on – but IIRC they were dark to quite dark… never went clear enough?

Premier Icon canopy
    Subscriber

i’ve got Tifosi Seek FC Sport pretty decent.. they were a bit darker than i expected, but they’re ok. they demist when moving fne. but can mist up a little when at a stand still

Premier Icon Carbis
    Subscriber

I have the Adidas Zonyk with the vario lenses and they work well, but are expensive.  However, for steaming up I’ve found the Muc Off anti-fog works really well so that may help when considering options.

Premier Icon calv145
    Subscriber

+1 for Rad8.  I have had the 502’s for a year and they are good in all conditions.  Great customer service as well.  My case broke, a quick email to them and a replacement is in the post foc.

Endura wide range photochromic “plus”  (inc the Masaii) go very light. Some of the others like I think the mullet don’t go as light.

Picked up some oakley Crossrange for a bargain £83 from https://www.sunglasses-shop.co.uk/oakley/crossrange/carbon-oo9361-03/53366?tmsb=tay13mz&tmrl=dbzzt&tmsl=4-product-carousel&tmty=w&tmcv=39&tmcs=1jaz5z5

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.