Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Riding Glasses – budget of £45?
  • dirtbiker100
    Free Member

I’m a complete novice on the subject matter of riding glasses, I’ve used goggles on some descents but looking for some glasses for general riding now.
    No idea where to start. Endura Piranha looked interesting?
    Help?

crispy1970
    Free Member

Screwfix bolle safety glasses, I have three pairs, light strong and look good.

br
    Free Member

Basically any safety specs that fit properly, upwards.

I spend as little as possible due to the number of pairs I’ve lost/mislaid//broken etc…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    chakaping
    Free Member

I have an Endura Cuttle (reacty lenses) and Endura Spectrum (clear lenses).

Both are great and I think I got both for under your budget.

BoardinBob

£3 ones from Decathlon

bartimaeus
    Free Member

Bolle Axis safety glasses… very cheap, very robust, and with adjustable arms so you can sit them on your lid harness rather than your ears (if you wish).

TeaBoyPaul

Get some ‘Fakeley’ Jawbone-alikes off ebay.. Less than £20 and with the yellow lenses in they are good for 90% of the time! Quality of them is also fantastic, regardless of price!

theflatboy
    Free Member

That ^^^’s what I’ve gone for – they haven’t arrived yet but hopefully they’ll actually be of some use rather than a waste of money. I have high hopes though!

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

hmmm these fakeleys sound interesting – how can I find them in the mass of jawbones on ebay? got a link or name or something?
    Otherwise it seems like Endura are the brand to go for. Probably not going to down the safety glasses route, did that once a few years ago and thought they were crap.

these?
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Outdoor-Cycling-Bicycle-Bike-Goggle-Eyewear-Sport-UV400-Sunglasses-Case-3-Lenses-/151016343072

but why not these?
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Outdoor-Sport-UV400-Protection-Goggle-Glasses-Eyewear-sunglasses-Lens-Pouch-/400389570059

clubber
    Free Member

fakelys are ‘the mass of jawbones on ebay’…

theflatboy
    Free Member

Don’t know if I’m allowed to post the link, but I went for some entitled “Bicycle Bike Cycling Sports Glasses Sunglasses freedom to choose color” from a seller called zhaoxu2009. Recommended by someone on here.

paddy0091
    Free Member

something by BBB, all tend to come with three sets of lenses. Very good quality as well.

mogrim

Decathlon do some excellent cheap glasses, the photochromatic ones for example fit into your budget.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

At top end of your budget, I’ve had some Block Leopards for a couple of years now, I’d buy them again. They’ve got 3 lenses too.

Northwind

Bolle BL10s for me- comfy, effective, and when I lose them or damage them (which I do pretty much all the time) I don’t mind.

A quick unrecommend- Madison D’arcs and Shields. They’re quite good, til the legs fall off, which happens instantly. No joke, I lost a leg off a pair, and while getting annoyed about it found another 2 lying in the car park that had fallen off someone else’s.

Kryton57

Endura Mullets are good, reactive or vented lenses as well.

timwillows
    Free Member

Bolle ones for about £9, lots of styles, look good, cheap enough to break

vondally
    Free Member

try tk maxx

found

northface sunnies £15.00
    Nike £15.00

as above

Bolle
    Cerbe
    Deacthlon

enjoy

porter_jamie

go to your local branch of BOC, or screwfix or something. Bolle glasses which look very similar to the mountain bike ones apart from they are about 8 quid, not 45

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Keep away from fake glasses, they can wreck your eyes, and they may not be any good to stop flying grit etc
    http://www.articleonlinedirectory.com/379974/know-the-dangers-of-fake-sunglasses.html
    Also they really are carp.

Bolles if you want to spend as little as possible.
    Oakley if you want to spend more

Northwind

UV protection, pff. It possibly matters in sailing and snow sports, where you’re often exposed to bright sunlight and reflections, but mountain biking has less UV exposure than walking to the shops and you don’t worry about that. It’s also much easier to make UV-opaque polycarbonate lenses than it is to make UV-clear ones, so the odds your polycarb glasses aren’t UV-protective are tiny.

You can easily test this with an LED torch and a roadsign, btw- most LED torches throw a lot of UV, which causes the road sign to flouresce. Shine torch through lens, look for change.

edlong
    Free Member

I think there was a previous thread on here about the Chinese “fauxleys” where someone who knew what they were doing (on here? what are the chances…) had tested the lenses on some and they were as described on the UV front.

My “jokeleys” are more than adequate for £15, although the lenses do scratch very, very easily.

EDIT: Previously had a couple of pairs of Decathlons similarly cheap, which also did the job. I am a cheapskate. A cheapskate with a propensity for breaking glasses.

saleem
    Free Member

I’ve a pair of Oakley M frames I’d sell you I you were interested.

TheFopster
    Free Member

+1 for Bolle. I have plastic framed Contour safety glasses – you can find them for 6 or 7 quid on Amazon. Can’t fault them – wear them in preference to my “proper” cycling glasses…

ransos
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend some glasses for road riding? The frame on mine gets in my field of vision when I’m on the drops.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Steve-Austin – Member

Keep away from fake glasses, they can wreck your eyes, and they may not be any good to stop flying grit etc
    http://www.articleonlinedirectory.com/379974/know-the-dangers-of-fake-sunglasses.html
    Also they really are carp.

That sounds suspiciously like it was written by someone who doesn’t know what the tooting bec they’re on about… I’ll take my chances! 🙂

jonba
    Free Member

Vested interest. Cheap clear safety specs are suitable for protecting against UV for any reasonable use. It would actually be more expensive to produce glasses that were transparent to UV.

theflatboy
    Free Member

jonba – Member

Vested interest.

That’s what I was thinking.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

your eyes. do what you like. You only got two of them, and they don’t get fixed easy.

I’ll buy some glasses that have been tested rather than cheap junk from ebay.

northernerindevon

+ 1 for Endura Cuttlefish.

wallop

Bolle contours for me.

Don’t get any of that metal frame shizzle, unless you want to poke your eyeballs out on a crash!

Trekster

Bloc for me

Scapegoat

Tifosi Slip. Five lenses and vented to prevent fogging.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Steve-Austin – Member

your eyes. do what you like. You only got two of them, and they don’t get fixed easy.

I’ll buy some glasses that have been tested rather than cheap junk from ebay.

It’s a deal. I’ll let you know in a year if I’ve gone blind. 🙂

bluebird
    Free Member

It all depends on your face/head shape, but I’m very impressed wiith my pair of Tifosi Tempt. Best fitting and most comfortable set of glasses I’ve had.

theflatboy
    Free Member

By the way, my Chinese “Oakleys” turned up and they are fantastic. Complete bargain for the money and no mistake.

legend
    Free Member

So, on this forum’s recommendation, I bought some Bolle safety glasses. My god they’re shit!! First then that hit me is that I suddenly felt like I was perched on top of a 29er, then that my timing was all off – definitely not good enough quality for proper riding imo.

Buy cheap, buy twice

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Riding Glasses – budget of £45?’ is closed to new replies.