Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Riding friends. Where have they all gone?
  • fingerbike
    Free Member

Used to be out in groups of 10 or more, now lucky to get 3 people together…
    Just seem to be riding more by myself these days.
    The rest are now abroad, or have found new hobbies. A couple of friends are repeatedly pulling out the hangover/children card, I only ever see them in the pub now. Anyone else finding the same?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

They’ll be afraid of the rain & mud

jfeb
    Free Member

Yep. Same here (although I never got to groups of 10, to be honest). I struggle to find a riding buddy these days but perhaps that is just because no one likes me….sniff…sniff…. 😉

binners

I am. But then I’m the one in the pub moaning about his kids 🙂

Seriously though – You’ll be surprised how many reappear when the sun comes out. Apparently some people don’t find riding in dark rainy sub-zero temperatures appealing. The big jessies!!!!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

get new mates

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I am having to limit the Big Bike Bash to 500. You can come to that if you want to meet lots more people.

I ran the STW Southern Festival last year in my back garden and that has evolved into 30-40 riders who ride together regularly. Not all at once but normally in reasonable size groups.

djglover
    Free Member

people don’t find riding in dark rainy sub-zero temperatures appealing

Amen to that.

LardLover
    Free Member

We’ve seemed to have drifted apart too, not sure why.

I now just go out on my own, when I want. If I don’t feel like going I stay in, or if I want a lie in I have one. I’ve also lost a bit of interest (connected? probably) and now find myself drawn to the dark side.

Miss the company though 🙁

Any fancy a Billy-No-Mates STW meet? You must come on your own (although shared lifts, arranged pick-ups of “strangers” is allowed 🙄

binners

The South Manchester Massive don’t get the numbers out nowadys. Now I think about it – Its all dropped off since Hora started actually turning up for rides

I’m sure that just coincidental

pk-ripper
    Free Member

I bet they got fed up with hora riding off the front and ragging the hell out of all the really technical stuff…

Pook

aye, same’s happened to me. Maybe it’s just me.

colb
    Free Member

It must be a trend, our group of 8 regulars is down to 2 of us, cosy anyway!

We have put it down to:-

– fear of mud
    – fear of the cold
    – cold hearted women

aleigh
    Free Member

I agree with SFB. I’m sure there’s plenty of people on here willing to go out on a ride with you or would be happy for you to tag along on theirs. I’ve met loads of new people on here and have made some great friends 🙂

hora
    Free Member

hora riding off the front and ragging the hell out of all the really technical stuff…

Come Summer you never know….start putting the hardwork in now… 8)

Binners, fancy a roadride upto Stockport then into manc (cough beer) on Wed night?

commierider
    Free Member

Same here, mostly ride on my own these days, harder to get motivated on your own though, used to find that if a meet was arranged, I wouldn’t wimp out, much easier to stay in bed when your only letting yourself down.

binners

I don’t do tarmac fella. You know that. I might have a few beers after work though

hora
    Free Member

Its Chinese New Year today Binners. Tonight it will be like sitting inside a Chinese TV sitcom.

Ps. You dont do Tarmac because you commute to work on a mountainbike. Trust me. Borrow my tracky and you’ll love the sensation of speed.

sofatester
    Free Member

I know the feeling as all my old racing/riding buddies have faded away. I suppose they might have realized there where more important things in life than riding a bike in the mud/ice/snow/rain*. Can’t think what though. perhaps we should start a thread on that?

*Delete as applicable.

hora
    Free Member

To be honest though after a hardweek at work, going out in the wind/rain/ice etc to unwind does seem abit daft.

You can see a pretty good arguement for ‘cross-training’ in the winter months

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Binners, did Hora ever try to give you that Chinese Burn, or did he bottle it, like a proper mincing ponce?

I bet he bottled it…

hora
    Free Member

Stop stirring, he might come round and batter me RudeBoy!

binners

He wouldn’t bloody dare!!!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Riding friends. Where have they all gone?’ is closed to new replies.