Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Riding clipless. Just hateful…
  • monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Been riding MTB’s for 20yrs. Always used flat pedals and I love it/never had an issue.
    Took up road cycling to keep my winter fitness up and decided to try clipless. I hated it. Couldn’t concentrate on the ride, fell off twice as I couldn’t unclip. Then couldn’t clip back in.
    And my knee now hurts.
    So I put the flats back on. (I know mtfu).
    Anyone want a set of Look pedals, used once 😀

jam-bo

It’s really not that hard.

Give it a couple more goes.

ton

i have started using spd’s again after a few years on flats.
    my feet go numb, my feet get cold far quicker, i am more nervous, especially on the round going round corners, i dont feel as comfy, walking into pubs on slippy hard soles is crap.

think i may be on flats again soon.

matt_outandabout

Mtfu and learn, oh padowan.

poah
    Free Member

road pedals are different from MTB ones.

Junkyard
    Free Member

everyone falls off when they first get them
    I found it weird riding on flats after years and my foot used to slip off on the down stroke pedal as i was used to being clipped in

Its essential for road use IMHO MTB less so

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Flats are better on some rides.
    Clipless are better on some rides.

That’s a scientific fact, people.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Old dog, new tricks etc. Maybe I am beyond help 🙂

ajantom

Keep at it, it will get easier.

Flats on MTBs are good (though I’m an avowed cliplees user) as you need to get off and on, and stick your feet out. On the road bike clipless is far more efficient, as you stay clipped in for most of the ride, and you can pull on the pedals up hills.

I’m not a big fan of road clipless pedals though – bulky cleats, silly shoes, and you tend to get less float which buggers up you knees. I always run MTB ones on the road bike. Means I can use the same shoes too.

core

Double sided pedals are a thing.

jam-bo

Double sided pedals are a thing.

A bad bad thing.

ajantom

A bad bad thing.

Only if you care what other roadies think.
    I had some disparaging comments from some of my roadie ‘friends’ when I did the Topsham 100 the other year. Still kept with them the whole way round.

butcher

It’s a nerve racking experience at first, but on a road bike it becomes second nature after a while. It’s just the remembering that you’re clipped in. It’s only when you forget and try to unclip in a panic that it all goes wrong: employing brute force in an attempt to release, rather than the gental twist required. I always twist my feet off the pedals now, even when on flats…it has become instinctual.

molgrips
    Free Member

Ton, you can get comfy SPD shoes with proper rubber soles.

butcher

A bad bad thing.

I had some disparaging comments from some of my roadie ‘friends’ when I did the Topsham 100 the other year. Still kept with them the whole way round.

Yeah, I’d agree with using SPDs too. Easy to clip in and out, you can set them dead loose. And they’re as good as anything really. Some roadies will be puzzled by them, but I’m yet to be convinced there is any disadvantage in comparison to traditional road pedals. You get a lot of discussion around hotspots and stuff, but I think that is more down to the shoes than the fitting…

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’m completely the opposite – really dislike flats on road or mountain bike, only happy riding clipless now.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I’m completely the opposite – really dislike flats on road or mountain bike, only happy riding clipless now.

Show off.

Put some MTB spds on OP: much easier to clip in and out of. Just make sure you swap them if you’ve got any plans on riding a Sportive, otherwise you’ll get sneered at by men who look bad in lycra. That’s the problem with darkside riding, it’s bent.

jam-bo

Crossed wires I think. I meant those pedals that are Spd one side, crappy hard plastic flat the other.

philjunior
    Free Member

I genuinely don’t think there’s that much in the clipped in being good for climbing. The odd sprint or low speed grind you might pull up on the pedals and to be honest of m520s weren’t so cheap and good

But I wouldn’t want to be using road cleats/shoes even walking in and out of cafes/pubs/shops. The first broken bone I heard about at the Glasgow velodrome was someone slipping down one of the ramps and breaking an arm!

Anyway if you like flats use flats, no one who matters will care. The really snobby roadies are all noobz anyway!

stevious

Probably worth sticking with for more than one ride, but definitely not worth sacrificing your knees or enjoyment for. The only REAL. Drawback of flats on a road bike is the aesthetic.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

I feel exactly the opposite. Riding flats is completely unerving, and I can’t comprehend why you wouldn’t want your feet firmly attached to the peddles. Do a season of cross and you’d be able to clip out and dab in a nano-second.
    For the record I use spd’s on my road bike too and have never had anyone commment about it even in road races and crits.

blitz

Started with flats on the both the roadie and MTB. Went to clipless on the roadie and after the obligatory comedy falls, got used to them quickly. Stayed like this for a long while with spd’s on the roadie and flats on the MTB but then had a spell where I used the roadie a lot and when I went back to the MTB on flats, found I really missed being clipped in. Tried some trail SPDs (M530s) and never went back. Love them.

atlaz
    Free Member

Clipless on both road bikes, 1 MTB with flats, 1 MTB clipless. Kind of what you want to ride when you want to ride it but I wouldn’t ride a proper road bike without them. SS pub hack, flats only.

mcnultycop

I don’t think there is enough benefit for me to run “road” Clipless on the road bike, but MTB clipless are ace for me. Just take some getting used to.

I much preferred Look Keo to SPD-SL when I did try full roadie though.

TheFlyingOx

I see the problem here. Look pedals are specifically optimised for human feet. Their sister company Ook should have something to suit your monkey feet.

km79
    Free Member

Took up road cycling

That’s your problem right there. Ditch the road bike and go mountain biking all year round.

Dibbs
    Free Member

+1

spacemonkey

I was a roady at 14yrs and wore bang tidy Sidis coupled to a pair of – hot at the time – Look pedals. Took to them straight away and have never ridden flats since, regardless of the bike or terrain.

Worth persevering with IMO.

gowerboy

I moved to flats because of hurty knees with spds.

I commute most days in flats (22 miles round trip), tour, ride my tandem, mountain bike and go bike packing on my fat bike all in flats.

I do miss spds at times as I like the certainty of foot placement they bring. But at the same time it’s great to be freed from stupid shoes and have pedals you can ride in anything.

I guess you have read this and people will probably tell me it’s been quoted lots before but just incase https://www.rivbike.com/pages/the-shoes-ruse May be a bit opinionated but an interesting perspective.

molgrips
    Free Member

That article is bollocks. It’s based on this:

“The argument in favor of Special Shoes is this: With a firm connection to the pedal, you will be able to apply power for the full 360-degrees of a pedal revolution.”

Which isn’t true.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

That article is bollocks. It’s based on this:

“The argument in favor of Special Shoes is this: With a firm connection to the pedal, you will be able to apply power for the full 360-degrees of a pedal revolution.”

Which isn’t true

THe article sounds alright to me. I’ve lost count the amount of times I’ve read “pulling up” during the pedal stroke as one of the benefits of clip in pedals.

Klunk
    Free Member

everyone falls off when they first get them

speak for yourself there mr, some of us are riding gods, now where did i put that ice pack.

garage-dweller

Go old school, platforms, clips and straps? 😆

For the road the clipless thing takes a few goes to get comfy with. It is worth a good try it does get easier.

mcnultycop

A man who suggests crocs and socks are acceptable footwear should be ignored.

ton

i thought the stiff sole on a spd would be a aid, but it is proving not to be.
    standing to pedal with spd’s puts to much pressure on the front of my foot causing my ankle to try to bend, which it wont.
    flats allow me to stand with the pedal in the arch which works.

comfort is gonna be my choice for flats.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve lost count the amount of times I’ve read “pulling up” during the pedal stroke as one of the benefits of clip in pedals

Yeah but he says *the* argument, as in singualr.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

oh

slowoldman

I practised on grass. Still had some superb slow motion falls at junctions afterwards though. All part of life’s rich tapestry. Oh and slacken the spring tension right off.

I use flats on MTB though and sometimes find myself twisting my foot to unclip!!!

docgeoffyjones

I’ve lost count the amount of times I’ve read “pulling up” during the pedal stroke as one of the benefits of clip in pedals.

does not make it true.

taxi25
    Free Member

does not make it true.

Says who ? I pull up all the time on my road bike pedals. Most frequently on short power climbs, you don’t change down and spin, just stand up and sprint into them. Plenty of pulling up going on.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Riding clipless. Just hateful…’ is closed to new replies.