Riding around Daventry?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Riding around Daventry?
  • _tom_

Have recently moved to Daventry, I’m coming over from the other side of Northants where I’ve lived all my life so I know not to expect a MTB mecca. It does seem a bit more “countryside” with more undulations though. Anyone have any suggestions for some bridleways and cheeky trails that can be linked up for around an hour of riding? I do have my road bike if times get hard.

I tried joining the leisure lakes club on Facebook but they’ve not let me in yet! That’s if it’s still going.

Trimix

Years ago, as in when MTB’ing was first here, I used to ride around Badby Woods, just south of Daventry. There were some trails there that entertained us. But that was on fully ridged bikes with shite tyres and very poor brakes. The twitchy geometery probably made them feel really Gnarr, so be prepared to find them dull 30 years later 🙂

Premier Icon lunge
    Subscriber

I was going to suggest Badby Woods but I heard a rumour it was now closed to MTB’s. Harlestone Firs in Northampton was the other place I used to ride but it’s been a long time since I was there.
    I think I’d just talk to the folk at Leisure Lakes in Dav and see what they say, they must know a few places.

Premier Icon tonto
    Subscriber

LL dav are a great bunch. They do a ride Wednesday evenings, either from the store or at harlesden firs.

Premier Icon kayak23
    Subscriber

We used to go up Badby woods for a bit of Schralping.

There were some fun little trails there, but the landowner got twitchy and we kept getting moved on.

Premier Icon lunge
    Subscriber

Any of the Daventry guys remember a fella called James Burton? He’d be 40 ish now, used to ride a lot round that area a lot.

Kuco

Harlestone Firs or also known as dog shit alley gets heaving at the weekends with dog/family walkers.

_tom_

Was hoping to just ride from the front door rather than get in the car to ride somewhere equally as dull 😉 if I’m driving I might as well go a bit further to Cannock or Woburn.

Had a little explore on the road bike yesterday, it’s certainly a bit more up and down than East Northants. Rode past a few bridleways and quiet looking footpaths I’ll go and try on the MTB when I get a chance.

Trimix

Round where I live (not near you) I found loads of OK / fun trails just by exploring with an OS map. Previously I would have driven somewhere.

Stuff that looked crap or not promising on the map often was not the case when actually ridden. I would suggest just having a go at exploring. While its dry like now you may find some good bits and pieces.

Spend a few mins online with either Bing Maps, set to OS, or bikehike.co.uk and see if you can make an exploratory loop.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.