Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Riding around Colne/Burnley?
  • stevied
    Free Member

Off up to the in-laws for a week next month and was thinking of taking the bike.
    Anything local worth riding? (off road!)

martinhutch

Depends how long you want to get away from them for…

Mary Townley Loop

Plus Lee Quarry, Gisburn for trail centre type fun.

Locals will be on shortly with shorter alternatives…

binners

Loads of stuff. Lee and Cragg quarries are just up the road. You’d be daft not to bring your bike.

If you bring a set of lights, you could join us for a night ride. Mondays is the usual. We’re off up to Cragg tonight

Cougar

Hurstwood’s a well-kept secret. Just don’t tell anyone.

plumber
    Free Member

As an ex local theres more than enough to keep you busy for days around Colne and Nelson.

Just after coldwell use the Boulesworth moor bridleway down into wycoller (tea and cake stop) and then the footpaths to Trawden are a good ride – I head up from Nelson and return along the Leeds/Liverpool canal – Single Speed is around 2 1/2 hours

The valley sides are very steep in and around Colne so any footpath is fair game.

Dont forget Hebden Bridge is just over the hill – about 10 miles away

Or you can ride up the roman road from Worsthorne over to Widdops res and up to Eygypt then down to Todmorden

Email me if you need more

stevied
    Free Member

Ah yes, forgot about the quarries. They look good fun. @binners: that could be great, night riding somewhere new sounds fab.

binners

If you drop me mail and let me know when you’re heading up (email in profile), then you’re more than welcome to join us. We always post up on here under Monday night pub rides. And we’re normally out Wednesday or Thursday night too.

As of next week, I’ll now be working in Burnley, so I’ll be wanting to do a bit of exploring over the other side myself

RustySpanner

There’s loads to go at.

All the stuff that plumber mentioned is just excellent.

Favourite loop at the mo is Gorple Road, Hurstwood, Cant Clough, PBW down to the Ram, up to Thieveley Pike, Cold Comfort Farm then back up under the wind farm.
    That’ll teach you what your legs are for.

If anyone from the area fancies a very, very slow spin, drop me a line.
    No pressure.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Pendle and Ogden Clough from Barley (slightly cheeky, best done out of hours!)

Worsthorne, over to Hebden via windmills and back via Gorple Rd.

plumber
    Free Member

Binners,

Theres some really excellent urban (slum) riding around Burnley. I can show you around next time i’m up there if you’re free

Stevied,

Might be worth heading over to do the Bingley Bash – Highly recommended. Good afternoon ride and finish with a lovely curry

Plum

plumber
    Free Member

Pendle and Ogden Clough from Barley (slightly cheeky, best done out of hours!)

Definate night ride this one

I’ve heard you can push/ride up to the top of pendle and then ride down, not that I’ve done it myself mind (twice)

stevied
    Free Member

Pendle is just around the corner as we are staying in Roughlee…

plumber
    Free Member

I wouldn’t do it in daylight – take your lights for a quick up and down dash

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I agree with Plum, Pendle is best done as a nightride.

Also, don’t even try to get up there at Halloween as the police close the whole area off to keep the witches away. Seriously.

Best route (at night) is up the diagonal (left hand fork) cart track to the top, then follow the singletrack all the way down Ogden Clough.

stevied
    Free Member

Also, don’t even try to get up there at Halloween as the police close the whole area off to keep the witches away. Seriously

That’s ok, the wife doesn’t ride bikes…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Riding around Colne/Burnley?’ is closed to new replies.