Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Riding around Bristol
  • ceept

I’m going to be working between Bristol & Chippenham next week. I’ll have my bike with me, so will hopefully get some riding in.

I can see from trailforks there are loads of trails just west of Bristol.

Can anyone recommend anywhere for a couple of hour, evening ride? I will have 4 wheeled transport.

Thanks,

Pete

steezysix
    Free Member

The “just west of Bristol” trails will be Ashton Court/Leigh Woods. You could definitely fill up a couple of hours there, probably a bunch of people on here who might be willing to show you round.

guandax
    Free Member

We generally ride Wednesday at 1845 if you want to join us.

joebristol

If you want open easy flow trails then Ashton Court and Leigh Woods marked trails will do the job for you. If you want something more challenging then if you can get someone to show you some off piste in Leigh Woods that’ll do the job. Quite a lot of steep / footy / technical stuff – very up then down sort of riding. I’m often out on a Wednesday night around 6.30 if you want someone to show you some of the stuff.

I’d bring a light though – this week by 7.30 it was getting a bit low light under the tree cover.

ceept

Thanks Guys,

I’ve booked bikepark wales for Thursday, so heading there on Wednesday evening.

Hoping to be there in time for an explore around leigh woods / Aston court late afternoon on Sunday, then trailforks is showing a route Keynsham, so maybe there on Monday evening.

pcosmic
    Free Member

W1nd Hill bike park is probably worth a visit

joebristol

Wind Hill is awesome – but not sure what it would be like on an evening with failing light under the trees. It’s about an hour from Bristol.

Not sure what the route around Keynsham is, unless it starts at Upton Cheney, goes up past the golf course, then joins some bridleways. Used to know a route in my late teens around there.

eskay

I know a route from Keynsham, goes through Stockwood, Queen Charlton, Ringspit Lane, Norton Malreward, out towards Woolard then loops back into Chewton Keynsham. probably 50/50 road/off road.

I may be free Monday evening (I am very close to Keynsham).

There is also a route that starts near Castle Combe that may be more convenient for you (depending on where you are staying). I think it is on the Swindon MTB site.

iffoverload
    Free Member

if you go AC/LW  also check 50 acre wood more natural and not so steep.

Belmont woods is worth a visit too

joebristol

Just be aware Belmont Woods is a little crazy – it’s short runs with huge gap jumps / doubles. I haven’t been there this summer but went quite a few times last summer.

mark90
    Free Member

Just don’t ride Belmont when the jumps are wet/soft.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Secure your bike well, don’t leave out of sight. Bristol is the bike theft capital of England 😉

joebristol

Per Mark’s comment, Belmont is pure dirt jump / trails so when wet you’ll ruin it a bit – so best to avoid it in wet weather. It’s closed for most of the winter.

Ashton Court / Leigh Woods trails are surfaced so fine to ride whatever the weather.

ceept

Did a wee lap of Ashton court and Leigh woods this afternoon. Think I did all the way marked stuff, so getting to know my way around.

If I have time tomorrow or Tuesday, I’ll try & get back over and find some of the off piste stuff that’s on strava.

joebristol

You’ve got 50 acre wood – to get there you duck out through one of the holes in the wall on the singletrack in Ashton Court ( the one which runs the entire length alongside a wall near enough). You then cross the road straight down s small road which turns to a track which then goes rocky. When you come to a stile into some trees just follow through there. It’s ok, but in the hardtail I just find it annoyingly bumpy for no purpose. Better on the fs.

Leigh Woods off piste are better IMO. Bit more steep and technical – although there are loads of trails and you’re never quite sure what you’re going to find. They’re fine on either ht or fs.

edit – just don’t beat Mark 90’s time down knicker trail on an old Kona hardtail 😜

mark90
    Free Member

just don’t beat Mark 90’s time down knicker trail on an old Kona hardtail

Throwing your GPS down the trail doesn’t count 😉

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Riding around Bristol’ is closed to new replies.