Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Riding after knee surgery.
  • Purplefunkymonkey
    Free Member

Had keyhole surgery on my knee last weekend. Still hurts like hell walking but I wanna go for a ride possibly at the weekend. Just a nice n easy round the forest run , no singletrack or anything daft.

Do it or not?? I'm really really bored watchin dvd's , both bikes have been washed polished tweeked so nothing else to do , plus I need fresh air.

Quack said 6-8 weeks till any serious stuff , gotta watch not twist my knee and stuff.

da funk

handyman
    Free Member

i had 2 bits of cartilage removed and fluid drained out by keyhole surgery,i took 2 weeks off then did very gentle road ride for 2 weeks and then slowly built up, had to sell my fixie though after the op as it hurt my knee too much on the downhills

Smee
    Free Member

Give it a rest.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thecrackfox
    Free Member

I had mine knee done for torn cartilage in February, give it at least 4 weeks in my opinion. Even the slightest sideways movement had me effing and jeffing for a month. I was driving after two weeks though, riding after 6 weeks and finally single speeding this winter after a summer of gears.

But its your knee, and more time of the bike if it goes wrong 😥

pennine
    Free Member

Torn cartilage for me also. I'd say give it the proper rest. During the third week I started easy canal towpath & road cycling. 4th week very easy off-road. 5th week carry on as normal but be careful was the surgeon's advice. No problems thereafter 😀

flatback
    Free Member

i have had a few knee ops give it a good rest

Northwind

Listen to your consultant, and if in any doubt don't.. Even if we'd all got medical degrees we've still not seen the inside of your knee. Don't **** up, if you do yourself damage now you could be regretting it for a long time, trust one who learnt the stupid way. You need your knees.

iainc

I have had keyhole 3 times and I would echo the above. I laid off for about 6 weeks. I now always spin a high gear, keep knees warm and try and not land on them !

jedi

i had metal work and bone graft .my meniscus was detached and reattached to do the graft too.
    i was riding hert shore in 4 weeks exactly

mikewsmith
    Free Member

but I wanna go for a ride possibly at the weekend. Just a nice n easy round the forest run , no singletrack or anything daft.

no singletrack? wouldn't bother pop your feet up if you can and have a beer

Purplefunkymonkey
    Free Member

Cheers , same op , torn cartiledge (sp). I've had bother , ie limp , for 7 month and the last thing I wanna do is **** it up so I'll sit on ma arse methinks. 😐

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

Had caartilage ops on both knees in mid 40s – early 50s.

Walking is way harder than riding. Suggest some nice eeeasy spins on road or trainer within 7 days. Gradually build up.

Last thing you need is to lose any strength in your quads as they give the knee lots of stability.

Cheers
    Paul

senorj

I had a new ligament – anterior- plus cartilage removed.
    After 6 weeks and lots of rehab i was able to spin round a cricket field.
    I then kept to cycle paths for a few weeks –
    Did Dash Falls after 12 weeks ,way too early.

My advice is give it another week to allow any swelling to go down and
    then see how a very gentle spin feels – no big ring,no great distance. just spinning.
    My consultant & physio were happy for me to do this providing I didn't over do it.(which i promptly did :-))
    J.

tinsy
    Free Member

Only you know to be honest, one mans cartalidge removal isnt the same as the next guys, depends what, where and how much they remove.

I had one done in the summer, whatever it was in there that was locking it up had become detached, and was floating about just under the skin, about the size of a marble, had it removed and all cleaned out, and had a gentle ride out with the lad within 7 days, had a flat out ride at 10, and raced on it before 14, no problems no pain, just a weird sensation when the foliage was brushing past the stitches.

flatfish
    Free Member

Broke my knee the first weekend in October, it was 26 days till i could do a full pedal stroke again but I had to wait until Christmas day until my first proper ride in the mendips. So approx 2.5 month for a broken knee.

piemann
    Free Member

I had acl reconstruction, my medial meniscus repaired and some other cartilidge trimmed. I was back on my road bike (on the Turbo at first) within a month, doing GENTLE sesions at first. It wasn't really any more intense than the physio I was getting and I slowly built up to longer, more intense rides, eventually getting off road within another 6 weeks or so. Three years on and I'm happy to report there have been no bad effects of getting back on the bike so quickly. I commute ~75-100 miles a week on my fixie and get off road as much as I can.

I woud definitely recommend buying or borrowing a turbo trainer at first, cause you're waaaaaay less likely to injur yourself than going straight back onto the road.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Riding after knee surgery.’ is closed to new replies.