Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 100 total)
  • Riding a sportive with no entry
  • Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

Wiggle Cheshire Cat 2013 is now closed for entries. 3,600 riders

…get changed in a sports hall, ride on public roads, get free energy products that the organisers probably got for free and get a time at the end of it.

A gpx of the route is free to anyone on the website, yet they still got 3600 riders paying up to £34 to enter!!

Well done Kilotogo – keerrrrrching.

JimBowen
    Free Member

I’m with Dicky Boy on this one and also regularly ride roads from my local sportive but would also pay to enter the event.
    If I had missed out on an entry for a sportive as the op claims then I wouldn’t ride the route the same day along with the riders who have entered I would plan a separate route which hopefully wouldn’t coincide with the sportive. I guess the organizers have a limit to the number of entrants due to traffic, safety and insurance reasons.
    I took part in a sportive last year and ended up riding with a guy who was riding the route with out entering but said he was unaware the event was happening so was just tagging along even though a tour de france winner and an olympic gold medalist were endorsing the event and it was all over the media like a rash!

clubber
    Free Member

A gpx of the route is free to anyone on the website, yet they still got 3600 riders paying up to £34 to enter!!

So quite clearly people ride sportives for more that just riding x distance. I’d say that it’s the ‘event’ aspect of it which draws people and is also the reason that some people choose to ride that route on that day without paying. By all means do it but just don’t try to pretend that that’s not what you’re doing.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

hels – Member
    Yeah, they issues results in spreadsheet format that any old numpty could sort into fastest time, and immediately do.

And nobody cares if they got in ten minutes before their mate do they ??

I am very familiar with BC rules thanks, and it doesn’t matter how they hide it and ban podiums. It’s a race. So is the Merida/CRC Marathon thingy.

I would be prepared to buy the unproven “it’s not a race” theory if Sportives were also banned from giving out or publishing rider results, and the satisfaction of finishing, getting a handshake from the organiser and a badge at the end was enough. But it’s not is it ? Everyone wants a time, and why, to compare themselves with others.

RACE

You are one of those people who gives Strava a bad name aren’t you 😉

endurancenut
    Free Member

I road a sportive once as a fast paced training ride, and was on a bit of mission so overtaking lots of other participants. I got a few hangers on and eventually we got a nice chain-gang organised. Half way through there was a junction, one way for the long route, and the other for the short. I pointed left and shouted to the nearest rider “Is this the long route?” He said yes, and so carried on left with the group. 10 miles later and we were at the finish – but there should have been another 30 miles. Half the riders turned off to finish, and the other half carried straight on. I carried on with them only to realise that there were no more route signs. They were just along for the ride, and were doing the sportive for free. And to add insult to injury, the guy that had agreed we were doing the long route was among them. So they messed up my day – ****.

If there are ever any sportives on my training routes then I’ll try and avoid the route, or at least ride the opposite way.

Aidy
    Free Member

Ride it, take some deliberately different turns to confuse other riders. 🙂

martinhutch

OP isn’t cheating the organisers. It’s full up, and they wouldn’t take his money. As long as he doesn’t plunder the feed stations, he can do what he likes, his impact will be negligable with 1100 other riders already on the course, and he’s not benefiting from any of the other ‘facilities’ offered by the organisers – timing chip, food/drink etc, medal etc.

Have fun OP!

trail_rat
    Free Member

are these things not sign posted ? the alford one is.

if they are sign posted why would you ask a random rider for directions?

traildog
    Free Member

I don’t see it as bad form at all. When you enter, you pay for the changing area, the food stops, the additional assistance in the form of motor bikes helping riders with punctures, the timing and all the freebees/medal/tshirt etc you get at the end. If you don’t make use of any of these then you are not freeloading at all IMHO. Pack some sandwiches, and bottle of water. It’s a new meaning to Pan-y-agua.

You are riding a road with a lot of other cyclists. Why would you want to? Because it’s a bit different and sociable. You may not want to because some of the group skills displayed on such events can be a bit shocking.

You can view it as a race because it’s timed, but it’s nothing like a proper road race. It’s more like a strava race, in that good for willy waving if you are feeling your ego needs a boost. European events are far more like races, but then you get closed roads, mass group starts etc.

nickc

The only sportive I did last year was a freeload. There was one organised from silverstone, and it was apart from a long stretch of a busy a road that I avoid, more or less my Sunday morning ‘long’ . I didn’t use any of the food stops, but it was like something out if a weird dream, all these numbered riders along a route that seemed to have been lifted out if my head by some weird thought device….every turn was like “it’s not going to turn right here, is it!!!” Even went more or less past my village where I sloped off rather sheepishly, although I had nothing to feel ashamed about.

The whole thing was weird, and its on again this year !

TheDoctor
    Free Member

Why would you pay to ride a sportive route on open roads ❓

Clearly lots of dumb people do, and it cannot just be for the “free” tat you get at the end

wwaswas

Why would you pay to ride a sportive route on open roads

Interesting route in an area you don’t usually ride
    No need to map read/worry about goign wrong
    Infrastructure to feed/water you at appropriate points
    recovery if it all goes wrong
    lots of other people to ride with

I’ve done a few mtb/cx ones and enjoyed them all. It’s not like heading out with a map and a vague idea of where you’re expecting to go but for a half day/day ride they’re pretty good and you get to ride stuff you wouldn;t otherise do/find. I wouldn;t *only* ride thewm but they’re quite enjoyable in their own terms.

Taff
    Free Member

It’s open road? Who cares! I’ve done it before but I don’t interfere with starts, finishes, parking, food stops etc. It’s no different to going onto a sportive site and take the GPS route, doing it the day before or bumping into part of the route and riding along.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

OP – I guess you know the real answer, but just in case, wwaswas’ first comment makes the best sense IMO – why would you want to ride the route when it will be so crowded (that goes for most S’ives and the London marathon IMO)?

Love the, it’s not a race, comments. That would be a nice idea to put to the starters in most events down south!! Full team kit, bottles correctly “fuelled” (?)’ legs shaven (and cut), areo helmet ready …… 😉 “out of my way, I’m training for the Etape, don’t you know, and I also have a conference call this afternoon!”

boblo
    Free Member

Sportive rider? Baaaaaaa baaaaaaa…… 🙂 There’s two types that ride Sportives; 1) The brain dead that can’t organise their own rides and 2) The hero pseudo racer who thinks it’s a pukka race.

I don’t ride Sportives and I’m oot. 🙂

bazookajoe
    Free Member

Ride the opposite way round and count how many times you hear “you’re going the wrong way” or take a different turn to see how many follow?

mooman
    Free Member

Just ride the route anyday you feel like.
    So what if some people have paid to ride it – more fool them I say.

If it bothers you that much, just call into a local shop to grab something to eat or drink. Better still, take a few bars and two bottles of water with you , that way you will not have to stop anyways.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I think some of you lot need to put your money where your mouth is and actually have a go at racing one of these sportives.

Its easy to chat big words on the inernet, but come and see if you can get a gold medal time at some of the toughest events for older men in the country.

I’d suggest you’ll need to fit a compact chainset!

boblo
    Free Member

Ride a few Sportives do we Mr Taylforth? Feeling a bit defensive are we? 🙂

imnotverygood

The problem is if the organisers are only allowed 1000 entrants for safety reasons what happens if 2000 turn up? If you fell off I take it you’d refuse the first aid services? You didn’t manage to enter. Bad luck! Try again next year. The fact remains, one of the things you are paying for is the presence of other people & they are the ones who have paid.

kennyp
    Free Member

That sportive in Italy yesterday didn’t look much like a race, at least not for lots of them. Quite a few we’re off and pushing, and a whole load of them didn’t even finish. Also, only one of them looked as if he’d ever ridden downhill in the wet before. Bloody amateurs. 🙂

parkesie
    Free Member

I’ve done a few sportives they are great if you take them as what they are. A good day out with mates and making new friends along the way. Sure you get a time at the end and you could just time yourself out on a ride but you don’t normally get to ride in such large groups unless your on the the tour.

On the ops question just do it another day they will have had a numbers cap for a reason, be it safety or dictated by council or who ever.

orangeboy
    Free Member

I think the cost is high but I like getting out on my own or just a few friends
    Don’t think 1200 people in the way will enhance my day.
    So have never been tempted to tag along.

But I am doing honk this year so I may find I’ve been wrong all this time
    At least as it more an audax event the cost was ony £15

vinnyeh

Looks like i have missed out on a place in the tour of pembrokeshire sportive. Can i ride it without an entry or would this be considered bad form? can they stop me riding?

I know it doesnt sit right with me, but the route incoroporates most of my road routes, so what do i do – not ride my local roads because people from far away have paid to ride on them.
    edit : i dont want to do the whole route, start at the start and finish at the finish, use the feed stations etc but do want to ride my local roads.

What’s the story then? First post says you’ve missed out on an entry, can/should you piggyback, second post sounds like a bit of backtracking, and says you just want ot ride some local roads that happen to coincide with the route.

cheers_drive

I’ve ridden a local one the day before (the signs were put out 2 days before). I don’t see a problem with that. Those that paid and did it one the day had to awful weather too 👿
    Riding the full route on the day is bad form though and stopping at the cake stops is essentially stealing if they included in the entry fee.

MrSmith
    Free Member

I think some of you lot need to put your money where your mouth is and actually have a go at racing one of these sportives.

What a load of twaddle, if you want to race get a licence from BC and enter a local 4th cat race and try and stay with the bunch/not get a bit of sick in your mouth. That’s racing. if you have tea stops and a shorter route for those who want to take it easy it’s not a race, there are no points available, there is no winner.

kcr
    Free Member

I think it is more accurate to say that Sportives are not road races or time trials, because they do not operate within the rules or organisational structure for either of these types of competitive event.
    Clearly, some participants do regard them as a sort of race.
    I can’t see any real problem with riding the same roads if the event is fully subscribed, if you are not taking advantage of food stops and other services.

Sancho
    Free Member

its just a matter of what you want to get out of the day.
    riding the route is not the point as far as I can see, its being involved in the event.
    If you didnt get an entry and want to ride pay something to the organiser/charity and do it.

We contribute to the etape des dales and many people turn up on the day and ride it without entering, its just a shame we are limited on numbers.

I just hope the riders who do ride on the day without entering have a clear conscience. as the money raised goes to very worthwhile riders.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

MrSmith – Member
    What a load of twaddle, if you want to race get a licence from BC and enter a local 4th cat race and try and stay with the bunch/not get a bit of sick in your mouth. That’s racing. if you have tea stops and a shorter route for those who want to take it easy it’s not a race, there are no points available, there is no winner.

🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

Lol at davidtailforth riding his nuts off trying to race a load of people just having a nice day out. I Bet he feels mega when he passes someone who has stopped to have a slice if cake and cup of tea………

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

wrecker – Member
    Lol at davidtailforth riding his nuts off trying to race a load of people just having a nice day out. I Bet he feels mega when he passes someone who has stopped to have a slice if cake and cup of tea………

Never raced a sportive then?

The ones eating cake and drinking tea are the ones justifying their own bone-idleness because they can’t ever imagine applying themselves to do anything in their lives.

Its easy for them to sit under a tree supping tea and eating cake rather than getting off their arses in their own lives and applying themselves and working hard at something and achieving a gold medal time.

vinnyeh

davidtaylforth effortlessly reeling in the bunch…. 🙂

MrSmith
    Free Member

Troll, Definately. Made me laugh though.

oldgit
    Free Member

I did this last year, set off at the back then rode past the lot within a few miles. Then met two lone riders who were more than happy to sit on my wheel until the halfway mark where they stopped at the food station. I went on and only saw three more riders until the end.
    At the finish I took a slight detour to avoid going through the timing area.
    Didn’t take a thing off them, despite the organisers offering me a gilet, which I didn’t accept. despite knowing I was just tagging along.
    It was pee’ing down and only a third of the field turned up

wrecker
    Free Member

Its easy for them to sit under a tree supping tea and eating cake rather than getting off their arses in their own lives and applying themselves and working hard at something and achieving a gold medal time.

I must admit, that’s brilliant. 😀

Sancho
    Free Member

oldgit youre my hero for being so strong on a bike and by being better than everyone else on the ride.

oldnick

Nearly spat my coffee out at that! More Gillian-esque than David…

jameso

I’ve ‘raced’ a sportive a few yrs ago.. riding a local hilly 100 on my own (“ghetto sportive” style, it starts near the town where I live so I went for a ride..) A group of 5 or 6 kept overtaking me, working as a bunch on the flats. I then gave it the SSer big-ring style on the hills and had ’em somewhere before the top. They caught up, sat behind me at times too, until we went uphill. All pretty even.
    Until a big hill 70-odd miles in when they were just behind me as I popped. There was no more mr big-ring climber after that. Didn’t see them again.

I learned something from the club guys that day and it wasn’t about being too cheap to pay for an entry )

postierich
    Free Member

I,m planning on jumping on this ride @ Kendal
    http://www.opencycling.com/
    save me the hassle of map reading 🙂 not planning on helping myself @ the feed station as I will be looking for a nice cafe/pub.
    Will be riding back under my own steam the next day.
    I have no shame! 😉

oldgit
    Free Member

oldgit youre my hero for being so strong on a bike and by being better than everyone else on the ride.

I have many fans, but in this case five riders finished before me. I feel I have to be honest with my fans.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘Riding a sportive with no entry’ is closed to new replies.