Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)
  • Riding a sportive with no entry
  • teenrat

Looks like i have missed out on a place in the tour of pembrokeshire sportive. Can i ride it without an entry or would this be considered bad form? can they stop me riding?

trail_rat
    Free Member

a roads a road is a road…..

sportives nothing more than an overpriced audax open ability group ride !

aP
    Free Member

Of course you can ride it without paying, and they can’t stop you from doing it. I trust that you’ll make sure that you fill your pockets with food and drinks from the feedstops and use the facilities at the start/ finish which you haven’t contributed towards as well.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Depends how much being a douchebag sits with you.I suspect it sits just fine with quite a few folk on here.Just wear a sign saying “Im not doing this sportive I’m just riding the same road at the same time” and I’m sure everyone else who has paid will be very friendly.

Tom-B
    Free Member

I guess that it’d be bad form to use the feed stations (I’m guessing that there is one). Aside from that it’s just a normal road ride!

hjghg5
    Free Member

I’m considering doing this. There is a sportive starting a mile away from my house which is overpriced tbh – you have to buy your own food at the feedstops, and it’s one of those “we’re associated with a charity but they don’t get any of the entry fee” type events. I’m very tempted to donate the money direct to the charity and then ride it without an official entry – there’s nothing to stop me going out for a ride on my local roads, is there, and as they provide virtually no support en route other than signage (which, being local, I wouldn’t necessarily need) I can’t take advantage of it! And I can use my own loo before I set off too 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

tbh rorschach I would be quite happy if the whole “sportive” scene colapsed on its self.

how ever im going to do the alford sportive in a few weeks time because its run by the club my girlfriend rides for and its very reasonably priced compared to many others.

i much prefer riding audaxes – on the most part at least you can trust the riders to not take you out riding in groups.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Just set the whole sportif route up as a strava segment.
    Problem solved.

hels
    Free Member

Why would you want to ?

You either do the race (and make no mistake it’s a race – it has numbers and you get given a time, some are faster than others = RACE) or you don’t. Riding along the route in your own time can be done any time.

Seems a bit daft.

Tom-B
    Free Member

😆

teenrat

I know it doesnt sit right with me, but the route incoroporates most of my road routes, so what do i do – not ride my local roads because people from far away have paid to ride on them.
    edit : i dont want to do the whole route, start at the start and finish at the finish, use the feed stations etc but do want to ride my local roads.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

They can’t stop you riding the route, but my view is if everyone did this it would end up in chaos.

Just get a gpx of the route an do it yourself on a different day.

clubber
    Free Member

Some people will always freeload. Some just use the ‘high’ price of sportives as an excuse. We run an audax and there are definitely a few people who don’t pay the £8 (including Audax UK levy) entry and who still steal the cakes/etc…

FWIW, if you do it on the same day then you’re clearly doing it because they’ve put an event on so you can try to justify it but really you know that’s not the case – they’ve put an event on, on that route, on that date and you’re doing it because of that work. If you really want to avoid freeloading then ride the route another day.

trail_rat
    Free Member

yeah but hels its a race with no winner …. its just like arguing on the internet …. POINTLESS 😀

scotroutes

That

jam-bo

Wait til they’ve gone home?

Or ride it the wrong way round to confuse people.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Bad form IMO. If it’s as straightforward as “it’s just a ride on a public road that you’re perfectly entitled to use” then why not just do it yourself on a different day? Otherwise you’re saying the event is bringing something extra so it seems fair to pay up/play by their rules if you want to participate.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

teenrat – Member
    I know it doesnt sit right with me, but the route incoroporates most of my road routes, so what do i do – not ride my local roads because people from far away have paid to ride on them.
    edit : i dont want to do the whole route, start at the start and finish at the finish, use the feed stations etc but do want to ride my local roads.

unless they pay for a road closure they can’t stop you riding on the roads

You either do the race (and make no mistake it’s a race – it has numbers and you get given a time, some are faster than others = RACE)

err no they aren’t. It’s like claiming you are racing on the commute into work and overtaking the postie

aP – Member
    Of course you can ride it without paying, and they can’t stop you from doing it. I trust that you’ll make sure that you fill your pockets with food and drinks from the feedstops and use the facilities at the start/ finish which you haven’t contributed towards as well.

I thought most events run out of food once the first 1/3 have swept through

trail_rat
    Free Member

lets face it – most sportives are run on popular local routes …

i mean one sportive COMPANY was so lazy they approached the local club for a route…..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Bad form IMO. If it’s as straightforward as “it’s just a ride on a public road that you’re perfectly entitled to use” then why not just do it yourself on a different day? Otherwise you’re saying the event is bringing something extra so it seems fair to pay up/play by their rules if you want to participate

The problem is presumbaly that it’s ‘taking up’ a hundred miles of nice roads in the area, so there’s not really much you can do to avoid it completely, and if you can’t avoid it, why not just follow the crowd.

Last/only sportive I’ve done just seemed like a club run on someone elses roads and without seating, good coffee or cake at the stops.

And the Caterham club were having a day out on the same day (and probably paid road tax), maybe cyclists should have kept off the roads (never heard this said on the day, just playing devils advocate).

clubber
    Free Member

By all means ride the route, just don’t try to pretend that you’re not freeloading while doing it – riding part of the route because it’s in your area and where you’d ride anyway isn’t an issue. Following the whole route is very different.

FWIW, I’d rarely ride a sportive – I think they’re usually well over priced and I’d usually prefer to organise the same sort of thing with a few mates. The ones that I do (really only one a year) is a bit different (for me), relatively cheap and fairly well supported for what you pay and very well organised.

wwaswas

I managed to climb Ditchling Beacon about 2 minutes before the earliest/fastest riders on one Sportive were expected through. There were supporters and people with cameras all stood at the top watching me wheeze up the last bit and obviously thinking ‘who’s that’

It was the first time I’d climbed it and it felt a bit like this.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOur8qXvpnk[/video]

I was very English about it and ‘fessed up.

hels
    Free Member

It’s a race. You get a time. Somebody is fastest and therefore the winner. If it wasn’t a race, they wouldn’t give out times. AFAIK the whole Sportives thing grew as an insurance dodge anyway as cheaper to insure if not officially race. But definitely a race.

kcr
    Free Member

probably paid road tax

What road tax? I’ve been driving for years and have never paid road tax.
    If you are going to be the Devil’s Advocate, you need to up your game!

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Ye do it, you wouldn’t not drive on the roads or take your dog for a walk would you, what’s the difference? And as far as doing it on a different day I don’t suppose that has the same attraction, it’s nice getting out on a road with lots of other people and measuring yourself, riding in a group or building morale riding away from people (likewise tho loosing it by getting dropped).

A sportive is NOT a race, it’s a social ride on public roads, and therefore something quite doable for free.

clubber
    Free Member

Clearly some race. Many (including some who actually do road races too) don’t – they ride with their mates, at a reasonable pace but happily stop for cake/etc at the stops.

Or at least that’s how most of the ones I’ve been on have been but I do have a feeling that in the SE in particular that may have changed..

root
    Free Member

I suppose it depends on how much it is. How much is it?

convert

I’d just go for a ride that day and ride a route that works for your training and time needs and don’t think too much about where they will be. If your route coincides with their then so be it. Better still, if you want a nice quiet day out on the bike take where they will be into account and avoid where possible.

But don’t abuse them being there and steal their scran – that would be poor form.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

hels – Member
    It’s a race. You get a time. Somebody is fastest and therefore the winner. If it wasn’t a race, they wouldn’t give out times. AFAIK the whole Sportives thing grew as an insurance dodge anyway as cheaper to insure if not officially race. But definitely a race.

In your head maybe 😉 they are no more racing than competing for a strava segment KOM

If it’s BC registered event they need to comply with these rules

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/zuvvi/media/bc_files/road/Non-Comp_Event_guidelines.pdf

4.8 Publication of ‘Result’
    The only “result” issued shall be a list of riders who have completed the route within the
    specified time. Organisers must not publish a list of riders by finishing times or indicate the
    order in which riders finished. The appropriate format is alphabetical name order. Electronic
    timing facilities are to enable riders to compare their times rather than provide a finishing
    order; they provide a degree of safety as well since it allows the organiser to easily count the
    riders in and out.
    The awarding of prizes cannot be given on placings. The use of a podium would indicate that
    the event was of a competitive nature, so should not be used.

Dickyboy

I regularly ride the chiltern 100 medio route when I am trying to get my fitness up, but i’m still happy to pay the entry fee on the actual day rather than freeload – but it is a club run & relatively low cost event.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Just for clarification: it is not a race 🙄

convert

Oh and it’s not a race but is a “timed challenge” which is enough to make most a bit competitive. I think I’ve always thought of them as a time trail where it’s ok to take pace from other riders. You’ll take stock of how well you have ridden by either comparing your time against others, your own previous attempts or the medal standards if they have them. I’ve always found one of the best bits about them was the tactics to getting your best time- do you start early or late depending on the weather – do you sit with a group that’s a bit hot for you or going too slowly or indeed strike out on your own.

teenrat

Its £25. I was quite prepared to pay this but for some reason the number of entries has gone nuts this year with 1100 people and I couldn’t get in

Northwind

Seems like bad form to me and I wouldn’t do it, I just can’t put together any rational argument as to why.

I guess one of the reasons for the numbers cap is the impact of all the traffic? I’m assuming they’re not just turning away entrants for a laugh.

wwaswas

1100 people

I’d ride it the week after…

fasthaggis

OP
    If it bothers you ,just ride round the other way.

I really don’t get all the Sportive hate ,it’s only people out on bikes enjoying themselves ,and they have also been a big boost for cycling in general.

hels
    Free Member

Yeah, they issues results in spreadsheet format that any old numpty could sort into fastest time, and immediately do.

And nobody cares if they got in ten minutes before their mate do they ??

I am very familiar with BC rules thanks, and it doesn’t matter how they hide it and ban podiums. It’s a race. So is the Merida/CRC Marathon thingy.

I would be prepared to buy the unproven “it’s not a race” theory if Sportives were also banned from giving out or publishing rider results, and the satisfaction of finishing, getting a handshake from the organiser and a badge at the end was enough. But it’s not is it ? Everyone wants a time, and why, to compare themselves with others.

RACE.

wwaswas

if Sportives were also banned from giving out or publishing rider results

they could just set up the whole sportive route as a Strava segment for those who were itnerested in timing themselves 😉

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Just do it, just don’t post on here about it. Hope you have a good day

davidjey
    Free Member

ride it the wrong way round to confuse people

I once rode 20 miles of the Dragon Ride the wrong way, waving at everybody 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘Riding a sportive with no entry’ is closed to new replies.