Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Riding a drop on a MX bike
  • cubist
    Free Member

[video]http://youtu.be/lwaJwaTyOB4[/video]

Some serious skills. Especially the speed of the tyre change mid video its almost to fast to notice…

singlesteed
    Free Member

Believe me they’re very nimble, my 690 smc was and that looks like a 450 or so so lightweight to maneuvre!

mr_p

He’s no stranger to drops…

Robbie Maddison’s 2008 New Year’s Eve jump: http://youtu.be/MLejkyXbJlc

Jamie
    Free Member

Big fan of Robbie, so much more interesting than Ken ‘zzzzzzz” Block’s* stuff. Was only watching Air.Craft the other day, and wondering what he was up to.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VHaQeY88po[/video]

*Yes I know it’s technically brilliant…but it’s sooooo boring.

cubist
    Free Member

I love that NYE video. Never get bored of watching it.

Trimix
    Free Member

*pops out to the garage to fit some slicks to my KTM 525*

singlesteed
    Free Member

Thats what my mate did to his 525 exc swapped to 17″ sm wheels and it was quick.

Not as quick as my beast mind 😉

godzilla
    Free Member

Rapid tyre change at 1:40

rsvktm

I miss my 525 🙁 slicks and tweaked, loved super bike baiting..

Pigface
    Free Member

He really is a very mad Australian 😆

Karl33to
    Free Member

Wow, that was pretty impressive!

5thElefant
    Free Member

He’s no stranger to drops…

Robbie Maddison’s 2008 New Year’s Eve jump: http://youtu.be/MLejkyXbJlc
    The interview with him about that is great. He said he got lost in thought as he was about to launch and blipped the throttle. He nearly overshot the down ramp.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Blimey 😯 that’ll make you focus!

butcher

That guy scares me.

robdob
    Free Member

I can see how that was more interesting than the Ken Block videos. The first video had me wondering up to the end what he was going to do that was exciting. Even the ski jump thing was a bit boring really, just a big straight jump, no?

DezB
    Free Member

I nearly stopped watching because of the horrible, irritating farty engine noise… then he went down the ski jump. Wow…thats nuts.. i was literally 😯

benji
    Free Member

Erm, nuts.

JCL
    Free Member

Guys in skinsuits and planks on their feet have gone double the distance. But they don’t have sick edits though.

Jamie
    Free Member

Guys in skinsuits and planks on their feet have gone double the distance. But they don’t have sick edits though.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

They also have lift and aren’t being pulled towards the ground and a hard landing by a 250lb dirtbike.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Gravity applies equally irrespective of the weight of the object
    They are both being pulled to the earth at the same speed.

Would a ski provide lift?
    Seems unlikely to me

Trimix
    Free Member

Probably a bit more drag in the air, but your correct in terms of gravity.

Anyway – anything on two wheels is better than anything on no wheels – right.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Guys in skinsuits and planks on their feet have gone double the distance. But they don’t have sick edits though

came to post the exact same thing 😆

……they do it on the ice as well

molgrips
    Free Member

Not really junkyard as the skiier has much more air resistance, on purpose. However the MXer has 10″ of suspension travel.

Trimix
    Free Member

Oh yes – superbike baiting, thats what crossers with slicks were made for 🙂

I remember years ago, when it was still pretty new, sticking some slicks on my XR400. Bonkers brilliant. But on my 525 it was level 11 bonkers. Sideways wheelies out of corners, rolling off to bring it down and into line for the next one. Probably good I took up mountain biking as Id have been 12 stone of badly wrapped mincemeat by now.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Gravity applies equally irrespective of the weight of the object
    They are both being pulled to the earth at the same speed.

Would a ski provide lift?
    Seems unlikely to me

Right except for the fact that the dirtbike hits the ground with more energy, compounded by the fact that the angle of attack is higher when it landed due to the lack of lift.

And yes, skis give them lift. They act as lifting bodies, which is why the record for the furthers jump is way further than that moto managed. As per wiki, ski jumpers below the minimum safe body mass index are penalized with a shorter maximum ski length, reducing the aerodynamic lift they can achieve.

http://projetmod.pnzone.net/rapport/ac/jbiomech2.pdf

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Riding a drop on a MX bike’ is closed to new replies.