Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Ridiculous (but funny) answers on quiz shows
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

Ho ho.

Just watched an episode of Zoe Lyon’s quiz show, Lightning.

There was a contestant that burnt almost all of the first two minute round
    with wrong answers and mainly passes.

But one wrong answer stood out and had us howling!

Q) Who headed up America’s atomic weapons research program, the Manhattan Project?

A) Area 41

FFS!

How do these people get on a TV quiz?

funkmasterp

Get a copy of the book Universally Challenged, it’s brilliant and is basically just wrong answers to TV show quiz questions

convert

Q) Who headed up America’s atomic weapons research program, the Manhattan Project?

A) Area 41

Whilst I clearly knew the answer given was daft, I’ve had to resort to google to find the answer….it appears to be Major General Leslie Groves. That’s not a name that trips off my tongue….or in fact have ever heard before. Or was the answer given the physicist Robert Oppenheimer. I’ve heard of him but would have never recalled it. Am I a heathen then?

jimmy

Fanny Schmelar

leffeboy

Or was the answer given the physicist Robert Oppenheimer. I’ve heard of him but would have never recalled it. Am I a heathen then?

I would assume Oppenheimer but no way could I have just recalled that

Cougar

The one that always sticks in my my mind is from Family Fortunes.

“Name something that’s red.”

“My red jumper, Les.”

jonnyrobertson

A workmate went on Family Fortunes, Les Dennis era again.

“Name something that frightens small children”.

He replied “Bob Monkhouse”.

nickjb
    Free Member

My favourite was on pointless. They had to pick a subject for the prize question.

Player 1. (Looking at the options) I’d go for modern artists.
    Player 2. Really?! You’d be on your own, I know nothing.
    Player 1. Yeah, I reckon that the best one. I know a bit, I can have a go.
    Richard Osman. Ok, modern artists, were looking for turner prize nominees.
    Player 2. Ok off you go
    Player 1. What’s the turner prize?

Caher

Can I have a P please, Bob? Funny the first time I saw it.

richwales

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

funkmasterp

From the aforementioned book.

Les Dennis: Name something slippery.
    Contestant: A conman

Les Dennis: Name something you put on walls.
    Contestant: A roof

Les Dennis: Name a famous Royal
    Contestant: Mail

Love them because they’re right but yet so wrong

maccruiskeen

stumpy01

Was watching Family Fortunes once and the question was “name something you put on your hands”

Swarfega

Correct. But……

IHN

“Name a bird with a long neck”

“Naomi Campbell”

Baron_von_drais
    Free Member

Pointless earlier tonight.

“Name a country which has at least one border with another country of at least 1000km”

First contestant thought long and hard and then came up with “Africa” – her team mate gave a look of absolute disgust that she could be so stupid.

Then when it was his go he looked utterly baffled and went with “The United Kingdom”

andy4d

Not really a quiz show answer but I love Kevin Bridges horse story on would I lie to you.

Caher

…Or David Mitchell’s Kevin the Bun seller.

theotherjonv

Pointless earlier tonight.

“Name a country which has at least one border with another country of at least 1000km”

First contestant thought long and hard and then came up with “Africa” – her team mate gave a look of absolute disgust that she could be so stupid.

Then when it was his go he looked utterly baffled and went with “The United Kingdom”

Was just about to post that. I thought Africa was about as daft as you could get, but her partner came close.

nickjb
    Free Member

Is it that bad an answer? I must admit I didn’t know how long the border is. Do you, without Google?

It’s 499 kms, so not totally crazy. It would be more stupider to forget it has quite a long land border 😉

Tiboy

theotherjonv

Is it that bad an answer? I must admit I didn’t know how long the border is. Do you, without Google?

Fair point.

phil5556

A Country?

convert

A Country?

UK/Republic of Ireland border appears to by 499km long. More than I would have guessed. Must be wiggly! And UK as a country is I appreciate a pedants delight as a topic in and of itself.

Still a bad answer even if correct as you would confidently assume some nobber would say UK in error, because the country they live in is one they have actually heard of when there must be so many random counties that would get you a pointless answer.

nickjb
    Free Member

A Country?

Pointless have a definition for country and United Kingdom would be correct within that.

“And by ‘country’ we mean a sovereign state that is a member of the UN in its own right”

phil5556

Ah, whoops I thought you were still talking about Africa 🙂

And no, I wouldn’t have thought it was that long.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.