Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 224 total)
  • Ridgeway double attempt
  • weeksy

There’s on a smidgen lower on Grims too, that deffo works as we used it a couple of months ago, but not sure if coming upwards you pass it.

pedalhead
    Free Member

Going off track doesn’t break the rules so long as you rejoin in the place you left it, and all under your own steam 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

All good info thanks. I like the route notes idea, I’ll do those.

Looks like there aren’t any shops between the start and Goring? I thought maybe there was a petrol station outside Ogbourne St George, but I cannot find it on Google Maps.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    pedalhead
    Free Member

There’s a tap at Og but the petrol stations are a way off route. Tbh, Goring is only 40 miles in…shouldn’t need to stop apart from maybe at the tap.

whitestone
    Free Member

@drofluf – the ITT “rules” may be found here You can make things more restrictive if you wish but there’s no prizes for doing so. Arguing about these is a bit like arguing about climbing ethics 🙄

weeksy

The pub in OsG is decent enough. But unlikely to fill any of your requiirements and is a MASSIVE hill to get out if you go down to the pub.

There’s a little toilet hut thing just before there, about 1 mile away, but i’ve never needed it so not sure if it has water etc.

DrP

Route notes – are also a must, IMHO!

Have it as a table, narrow format, so you can laminate it (Or cover in sellotape) and stick to your top tube..

Tap name: distance (from start/between)

It just breaks the ride down!

DrP

drofluf
    Free Member

Going off track doesn’t break the rules so long as you rejoin in the place you left it, and all under your own steam

Thought that would be the case

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve memorised five legs, breaking at Goring and Wendover.

I’ve also just committed a faux pas in these circles and had a shave.

flashinthepan
    Free Member

Molgrips – what times do you expect to be crossing the M40

I’m only 2 miles from there and might be out in the bike. Happy to give some encouragement especially on your return leg

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

15 hours of consuming sugar?

At the sort of intensity you’re doing I’d take a load of snack pork pies, chorizo and beef jerky.

Save the gels etc for if you get desperate.

molgrips
    Free Member

No, not just sugar. Will be eating savouries bought on the way.

Not too many of those though, they tend to give me indigestion on the bike if I eat too many.

mrmo
    Free Member

There’s a little toilet hut thing just before there, about 1 mile away, but i’ve never needed it so not sure if it has water etc.

That the block at Barbury Castle? Memory says there is a sign saying not drinking water.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Massive fry-up in the morning though, surely?

whitestone
    Free Member

@mrmo – if it’s not drinking water then where does it come from? I suspect that the sign is a CYA exercise.

molgrips
    Free Member

No fry-up. Roll out of bed and onto bike immediately, snack until Goring, buy coffee and protein rich snacks, continue.

Hoping to set off at 5am and do 20kph. So that would give approximate timings of:

Goring 8.30
    M40 9.45
    Wendover 11.15
    Ivinghoe Beacon (or just short) 12.30
    Wendover 13.45
    M40 15.30
    Goring 16.45

Public spot tracker page is here:

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0bx26U7cnLKqq6caZ77hO8RGt0nIScday

I’ll be on a red Salsa El Mariachi with black forks, wearing a red lycra top and black lycra shorts, with a green rucksack and a black and white Catlike helmet.

pedalhead
    Free Member

Excellent, hope to see you out there. If you’re after the fastest possible time, stoppages make a huge difference (obviously). If you can start with your pockets/pack full of food, you could ride straight through Goring rather than stopping so soon into the ride. FWIW, I only stopped for water, carrying all food from the start in pockets/saddle bag. Of course, whatever tactic works for you is the best one 🙂

flashinthepan
    Free Member

Somehow, it seems a faster plan when written as above

If I did Goring to M40 in 75 minutes* I’d be in no shape to go any further

(* I can’t)

natrix
    Free Member

He’s a bit behind schedule, but not much, keep going mol grips 8)

allthepies
    Free Member

Still @ Goring, quite a bit behind schedule now.

bikebouy
    Free Member

He’s actually set off then, not just made it out of bed?!?

Proper day for it, looks kinda lovely to be on a bike rolling out the miles.

Best of luck !!

allthepies
    Free Member

He’s off again 🙂

drofluf
    Free Member

Went to try and give some encouragement as he passed by but looks like I just missed him

pedalhead
    Free Member

I caught up with molgrips on the Ridgeway near the A34 and rode with him for a few miles to Goring, where he stopped for some supplies. By 09:30 he had left Goring and was on his way to Grims Ditch near Wallingford.

He seemed to appreciate the lift of a bit of company as he didn’t get a lot of sleep last night and was feeling a bit sluggish in the cold air of the early morning. Bloody gorgeous morning though! Seemed to be riding just fine. I’ll try & catch up with him again on his way back.

flashinthepan
    Free Member

I’ve just been out on the Ridgeway on the section either side of the M40 which is one of the flatter areas. Did 20 miles and averaged just over 11 mph so hats off to molgrips. 180 miles is a **** of a long way

Lovely day for it mind (maybe just a bit warm) and the Ridgeway was in very fine condition

molgrips
    Free Member

Hi folks from the ivinghoe car park where fortunately there is an ice cream van.

Average of 17kph inc stops, hope that will go back up on the flat bits again. Not had cramp on the inside thigh yet but it threatens.. this is what often gets me on long rides.

Many many thanks to pedalhead for the route and for meeting me on the way 🙂 made my day!

Daughter kept me up half the night which made me not only tired but pissed off this morning which coupled with not enough leg cover made a hard start.

Anyway.. thanks for listening, time to head home 🙂

rob2
    Free Member

Confused by that last picture above. That is going away from grim’s ditch and towards the river?!

Hope it is going well. Better weather today than tomorrow!

racefaceec90

are you there yet 😉

good luck man 😀

pedalhead
    Free Member

Hmm bit worried about the Spot track. Point #45 is off track and it hasn’t updated since Wendover over an hour ago. Spot trackers are frankly pretty crap at the best of times, but I hope all is still ok.

pedalhead
    Free Member

Oh, and the final picture is just because he went slightly off track to resupply (Goring), so rejoining by retracing steps.

allthepies
    Free Member

There is a #46 entry, still not updated for an hour though.

This spot track thing, is it a poor man’s spot tracker ? Does Mol have to push a button to log a point or something ? Seems very random in its position updates.

pedalhead
    Free Member

It’s an actual Spot tracker. Tbh, mine is always shit as well, but that off track point is unusual (unless he actually went off route 🙁 )

natrix
    Free Member

It does say that the battery is low, hopefully he is charging towards Barbary castle but his tracker is dead 🙂

whitestone
    Free Member

SPOT trackers can be a bit temperamental. On the typical package they will “chirp” or transmit their position every ten minutes but only if they have contact with the system. On events like the Tour Divide and Highland Trail it’s not unusual for any given device to not update for up to a few hours.

If the battery is low then if someone’s got his mobile number a quick text ought to sort it out.

pedalhead
    Free Member

It’s updated, phew. Excellent, off to say hello again.

pedalhead
    Free Member

Just passed through South Stoke. Looking strong, more perky than this morning even.

allthepies
    Free Member

Hope he’s got battery left on his lights 🙂

natrix
    Free Member

He is back at goring, will he need lights?

cinnamon_girl

Go molgrips!

weeksy

Yes he’ll need lights.

Just fading now between goring and east ilsley. 30 min of light

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 224 total)

The topic ‘Ridgeway double attempt’ is closed to new replies.