Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Ridge-riding in the UK – suggestions and pics please.
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

Hopefully on Saturday I’m popping ove to the Lakes to do the 3-pass (Nan-Bield, Garburn, Gatescarth) route. As great as it is, its still heading over passes, rather than the tops.

When I’m walkking, I love ridges, for the views on both sides.

What really good ridge rides are there in the UK, especially in the north of England?

IME in the Lakes: Helvellyn Ridge obviously has good bits from Dollywagon to the Dodds. High Street isn’t bad in the right conditions. Ullock Pike is on the “to do” list, but thats more a ridge descent, than a ridge ride, if you get what I mean.

Any suggestions? Or pics to give me inspiration and make me jealous?

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Aonach Eagach? Crib goch?

Cuillins?

😉

jambalaya
    Free Member

Brecon Beacons. Gap Road Diversion ?

We hiked up to and along the ridge which leads to Corn Du (Craig Fan Du/Rhiw yr Ysgyfarnog/Craig Gwaun Taf – see SO017 190). The climb up from car park was pretty wet and steep and would be a hike a bike all the way and the top part which means climbing up the stream bed might be too steep with bikes. You can see the stream in the centre of the first picture.

From the map you could vary the Gap Road ride to climb the ridge further South cutting off the Taff Trail between Pontstcill and Pentwyn Resevoirs – still looks like climb would be unrideable. The ridge path itself is firm, care would be requierd as you are next to the cliff edge (area of grid ref SO 046 138 and visibile in the pictures).

With regard to right of way you would have to take care and push the bikes around Corn Dhu and carry down from Pen Y Fan which are public foot paths and will be busy. The ridge path is one of those unofficial paths shown as small black dots on the maps. You can then join the Gap descent below Fan y Big.

The standard Gap Road climb is on the other side of the valley to this ridge.

None of this is on bridleways.

[/url] P1000504 by JambalayaPhoto, on Flickr[/img]

[/url] P1000503 by JambalayaPhoto, on Flickr[/img]

mchlptchr
    Free Member

Ullock Pike still has great views, you just have to stop riding occasionally to take them in!

parkedtiger
    Free Member

North Lakes has a fair few ‘ridge descents’:

Robinson
    Hindscarth
    Halls Fell and Doddick (Blencathra)
    Grisdale Pike
    Whiteless Pike
    Grasmoor

All totally cheeky though. One possible ‘ridge ride’ that’s actually a bridleway: High Crag – High Stile – Red Pike above Buttermere.

messiah
    Free Member

I’ve ridden Carn a Mhaim, it gets a bit narrow and gnarly in places.

fergal
    Free Member

The Five sisters of Kintail, it’s the future!

Ullock pike really is an very aesthetic ridge ride, airy with technical high jinx.

Another of the Lakes finest is Whiteless edge, a good circuit starts at Braithwaite, up and over Grisdale pike then traverse over to Whiteless edge, going from the sublime to the ridiculous as you billy goat down Whiteless pike, then up and over to descend perfect singletrack on Rigg Beck, back to Braithwaite.

Sanny
    Free Member

Good call on Ullock and Whiteless Pike. The traverse to Whiteless Pike from the Keswick side is good and all the more ridge like if you pop up on the minor footpath to the northern flank.

Carn a Mhaim is on the list of those to do!

Dreish and Mayar are grand in a wide plateau but nice views all around kind of style.

Many years ago (back in the days of a 1st generation Heckler with Pace RC35 forks) , I carried up Cat Bells and rode the horseshoe loop. It was great and one that I am keen to repeat some time soon.

Recently rode the 4 munros at Bridge of Orchy. Mucho hikey bike but terrific views and some smashing riding to be had. Once you are up onto Beinn Dorain, the carry’s aren’t too tough with the exception of the descent off the third munro where next time we would bypass the main goat path and head down the grass onto the singletrack path at the bealach. The path down is too steep to ride so a bypass is the best option. A lovely descent down into and beyond the corrie to finish off the 4th munro with a steady ride back to the hotel via Loch Tulla. A big but very satisfying day out. The top 2km plateau of Dorain is superb to ride down. 😀

Garry_Lager

Don’t think there would be much riding along the 5 sisters of kintail from what I recall hiking it. Opposite side of the valley might work though – South claunie ridge is long, great views, and quite undulating – think it would be mainly ridable.

Sanny
    Free Member

My mate Dave rode it a few weeks ago (south Glen Shiel ridge) and had a grand day out on it. One I am very keen to do myself!

D0NK

fergal sounds interesting. Is the ascent up grisedale pike any easier than stonycroft gill*? do you follow hobcarton crag up to hopegill head/sand hill or cut across above the pit straight to coledale hause?

*starts out OK but gets silly later on

freeridenick
    Free Member

Ullock Pike for the win 😛

grum
    Free Member

Hall’s Fell ridge as a descent? Really? I only remember walking it from before I was into biking quite a few years ago (after going up Sharp Edge) – but IIRC it would be a pretty damn gnarly descent in places.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Beinn A Ghlo and Carn Liath are esily reachable above Blair Atholl. A tough push up, but once there epic ridge riding.

doom_mountain

I did Whiteless Pike a few weeks ago, was fantastic (and scary in places) unfortunately my forks blew up about 200m from buttermere….

Highly recommended though, can ride quite a way up if you go past Force Crag mine.

Ullock Pike is on the list.

Edric64
    Free Member

Whernside ,but its not bridleway ,you will have to enter the 3 peaks cx to do it without being cheeky

grum
    Free Member

doom_mountain – what was your route up/down Whiteless Pike? Just a straight up and over from up past Coledale Beck then down the path S to Buttermere?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Cheers All.
    Whiteless Pike sounds very tempting. What’s the best way up?
    Carry up Grisedale Pike? Ride up as high as possibl in Hospital Plantation, then carry up Grisedale? Or just head up Coledale Beck and carry up from there?

I’m guessing the first fine saturday in a while, in July, probably isn’t the best time to be doing it…

druidh
    Free Member

Sanny – I’ve been thinking about the S Glen Shiel ridge. Did your mate struggle on any of the scrambly bits? I was considering taking a short length of rope for lowering the bike.

br
    Free Member

Minch Moor to the 3 Brethen isn’t too bad, good views and the rides up/down are fun.

backcountrybiking
    Free Member

Hey Sanny How goes it?

Don’t know if you already have this on your radar, but Ben Mac Dui down toward creagan a choire etchachan then up Derry Cairngorm over towards carn crom and down towards Creag bad an-t Seabhaig down to derry lodge might just go..
    For sure there is a NTS path from the Creag bad down.
    and the rest looks good on Google earth?
    Next time your in the area lets give it a bash? no boats needed.
    Andy

dekadanse
    Free Member

Hergest Ridge on the Herefordshire/Powys border – and marvel at the monkeypuzzle trees right up near the ridgetop.

Rhosilli Down at the end of the Gower.

Sorry no pics!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Ullock Pike for the win 🙁

Until you meet the Ramblers Association on there

Only counts in the dark – or at least heavy mist, otherwise it’s just too easy

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Whiteless Pike sounds very tempting. What’s the best way up?
    Carry up Grisedale Pike? Ride up as high as possibl in Hospital Plantation, then carry up Grisedale? Or just head up Coledale Beck and carry up from there?

Your second choice is the shorter route. Ignore the plantation though – best way is up to the top of the south loop and head out onto Sleet How. That gives you two nice descents off the top of Grisedale too, heading over to Coldale Hause. A third option is to head up Stoneycroft, right over Sail, up onto Crag Hill and onto Whiteless Pike.

I’m guessing the first fine saturday in a while, in July, probably isn’t the best time to be doing it…

Probably not – head out around 4pm and you’ll miss the walkers though.

Hall’s Fell ridge as a descent?

It’s good (as is Doddick) – with Hall’s we tend to walk up from the bottom until you hit a scrambly section (about 50ft from the summit), then turn around and descend. I can’t clear it to be honest but there’s a few Keswickians that can.

Sanny
    Free Member

Meall Garbh, An Stuc, Ben Lawers from Meall Greigh

Meall Garbh, An Stuc, Ben Lawers from Meall Greigh

Right. I still haven’t figured out how to paste a link but the above shows the Ben Lawers traverse. I’s a hikey bike adventure ride but if you have the legs and the desire to do it, it’s a brilliant day out. Proper riding (and hikey bike!) in proper mountains. My favourite ride of the year so far.

fergal
    Free Member

Sanny what happened to the vid of the Vorlich descent?

Sanny
    Free Member

My mate Donald has it but not sure if he has posted it up anywhere. I’ll prod him when he is back from Verbier as I’ve not seen it myself yet. Did another video on Ben Lomond last Thursday night too. 😀

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Like this:

Meall Garbh, An Stuc, Ben Lawers from Meall Greigh by CaptainMainwaring1, on Flickr

(both links are the same though)

Looks brilliant. Need to get north of the border more…

ir_bandito
    Free Member
    Klunk
    Free Member

Y Foel Goch to Capel Curig, there was a vid knocking around at one time.

doom_mountain

@Grum – yup straight up Coledale Beck past the mine, mainly rideable.
    Then carry upto Coledale Hause, after that it’s all ridealbe round to Craghill and then fun all the way down… some of it’s pretty darn steep.

I’m looking forward to doing it again.

Sanny
    Free Member

Andy

I’m well up for that. 3 Munro ride this weekend if things work out.

Whoop!

Sanny

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Ridge-riding in the UK – suggestions and pics please.’ is closed to new replies.