Rides in Herefordshire and Shropshire

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Rides in Herefordshire and Shropshire
  • mikeyh14

I’ve just returned to mountain biking after a long lay off and am reasonably new to the area. Any recommendations for any trails in and around the leominster area. Also, are there any clubs etc as I figure it would be good to have a ride with other people every now and again.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Premier Icon Trailrider Jim
    Subscriber

Not sure about Leominster, but just north you have lots of classic woodland trails. Just Google Hopton Woods, Bucknell, Bringewood. North of these are The Shropshire Hills AOONB.

Jim is spot on. You’re perfectly placed for lots of good riding in the South Shrops Hills. Also take look at the Long Mynd. Don’t think the Hereford side of things is much cop but could be wrong.

This is a nice part of the world, can’t vouch for the below route but maybe worth exploring on account of the locale

https://www.mapmyride.com/routes/fullscreen/1470054/

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Ride up to Ludlow and hit the Mortimer Forest or Bringewood, if you don’t want to drive. You can access Mortimer Forest by going up onto Bircher Common and through the back on a grassy trail.

When I used to live there Mortimer forest was full of trails, plenty of stuff to do.

Houns

Add the Wyre Forest to the list

mikeyh14

Thanks guys

mboy

Add the Wyre Forest to the list

IN the summer for sure. It’s HEAVY going right now though. Give the trails a bit of time to dry out a bit first!

Ride up to Ludlow and hit the Mortimer Forest or Bringewood

My mates ride Mortimer most Sunday mornings now, 9am meet in Black Pool Car Park. Lots of riding there, though it’s steeper than trail centres so that means lots of climbing for your rewards! Good to get you fit and bring your technical skills on mind… I used to dislike it intensely there, but am warming to it a bit more now. More suited to a Hardtail with decent mud clearance than full sus I’d say, but take whatever you’ve got and have an explore.

It’s also only about £6-£9 one way train from Leominster to Ludlow/Craven Arms … leaving plenty of energy for the Mortimer forest trails, Hopton Woods, Long Mynd etc

mikeyh14
    chris_jh

There are some trails in Nash Wood which is pretty handy to Leominster.

I moved to just outside Ludlow about 4 years ago. Im still exploring but Mortimer forest is great, Bringewood across the road is good too though they’ve been doing a lot of forestry work recently. Hopton and the Long Mynd are also regulars for me. A bit further afield, you are not far from all that mid Wales has to offer and just an hour and a half ish from trail centres like FoD, Llandegla and Cannock. It’s a great area to live in for a mountain biker 🙂

mikeyh14

Awesome, cheers

cymohndee

There are also some not too tricky natural loops to be had in Haugh Woods east of Hereford. Hard to find without a guide though, but holler and I’m sure one will pop up!

winrya

Check out east ridge and stiperstones once the trails dry out. One of my favourite rides

Premier Icon wfwc
    Subscriber

+1 for Haugh Woods.

The climb back up is a bit of a b***h but good trails.

Forest of Dean really isn’t far and it’s genuinely excellent with a great variety of loops to ease you back in.

The blue has been a personal favourite for years.

I’m getting my fitness back after being a lazy FB for a year.

Based near Bromyard so if you fancy a trip to FOD for a slow lap give me a shout.

mikeyh14

Thank you, will do!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.