• This topic has 79 replies, 46 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by STL.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • Rider who helped me on Howe Hill, NYE
  • shermer75
    Free Member

Good to hear, thanks for the update!

ElShalimo

😀

gray

Thanks chaps! It’s really not nearly as bad as I expected a broken spine to be.

teamslug
    Free Member

Good news. Come to this thread late and just read it all. Hope things keep improving for you.

duncancallum

Good stuff….

duncancallum

Update?

gray

Hello.

Thanks for the interest! Brace came off at the end of February. Managed to do a bit of turbo training on a mountain bike over the following weeks, but then the shed was burgled and that bike stolen. A few weeks later I got a replacement and started doing short rides outside. My overall back functionality was steadily improving all the while. Am now riding a bit outside, and have a road bike set up on the turbo trainer – just about to start ‘training’ properly to get some fitness back, and have just had some insurance money to buy a new road bike so that I can get back out there…

I can do most normal stuff now. Have to be pretty careful lifting the kids (well, the 2 year old, I don’t really lift the 4 year old), and can’t do anything too touch. I’m still not sleeping brilliantly, but loads better than I was, and it’s bearable. Current plan is to have the metalwork taken out next January, which is for the best long-term, but it’s a bit crap knowing that no matter how much progress I make until then, I’ll be flat on my back for a bit again. Recovery from that should be far easier than the initial injury though.

The driver was prosecuted for careless driving – he got 6 points and something like a £600 fine with another hundred or two in costs etc.

matt_outandabout

🙂

Glad to hear you making progress…

Stoner
    Free Member

6 points and something like a £600

Bargin! 🙄

Glad to hear you’re mending well though. Keep it up.

gray

Thanks chaps.

Could have been lots worse. Am reasonably comfortable already on the tops of my road bike, which isn’t too bad considering two of my vertebral joints are immobilised by titanium rods! Just got to decide on which fancy new bike to splash some cash on now…

duncancallum

glad to hear it!

TiRed

Glad to hear you are healing fast. Physiological age is not equal to age for a cyclist. My second wrist op WA a lot better than the first and recovery was very fast. I suspect removing your titanium will be similar.

gray

Update in case anyone’s interested:

I bought a fancy Canyon Aeroad with the insurance money, and have been riding that since last summer. Mostly steady improvement, with a few periods of achey interruption. Now I really don’t have any excuse for not being faster other than laziness though. I can’t lift heavy things, and my sleep is still disturbed a bit, but overall I can do anything that’s important. Haven’t done any proper mountain biking (a lap at Swinley doesn’t count), and am avoiding things like skiing for fear of crashing and snapping the metalwork. Though I did pile into the side of an alp going downhill on a road bike in the summer, but luckily got away with it (the hire bike did not).

Today I had my pre-op assessment in preparation for surgery to remove the metalwork. I don’t have an actual date for the surgery yet, but I’m hoping that it’ll be in the next few weeks. The surgeon today said “You should be on your feet same day, and going home after one or two nights here.”, and I said “OK, so what I’m hearing is that I’ll be back on my bike within a week, right?”. He chuckled in that “I’m not sure if you’re joking or mental” way. 🙂

Here’s an axial slice from my CT, BTW:

avdave2

Another case where we need the like button

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

come to this very late but glad to see you are recovering, all the best for the op to remove the work.

Just got back from my appointment with the neuro/spinal surgeon as been plagued with recurring back issues on an already dodgy back for the last 6 months. Gosh it’s a bit sobering reading your account. Tough boots you are.

LittleNose
    Free Member

Good luck with the metalwork removal – I felt so much better once mine was taken out of my leg… fingers crossed you sleep better without it.

gray

Thanks all.

tuskaloosa: I hope they can sort you out. Mine is really not that bad. I think even after a few months I was into “this is no worse than what many people just call a ‘bad back'” territory. Right now it’s really not a significant limiter (I rode to work the other day – over 90 km away), so I’m not grumbling. I’m hopeful that a few months from now it’ll be even better with the metalwork out than if I leave it in, but if it’s just the same then that’ll be OK. At least then I won’t have to worry about snapping screws if I crash!

gray

Another little update:

Had surgery to remove the scaffolding on Wednesday. Got home yesterday afternoon. Would have been let out on Thursday but they didn’t have the right brace in stock.

Seemed to go well. Was a bit rubbish being beamed back to the time that sitting up was agonising, but 24 hours later I was walking quite comfortably. Will need the brace for up to 6 weeks but can try the turbo in about a week. So it’s all good, nothing but improvement from now on…!

RoterStern
    Free Member

Healing vibes. That’s going to be quite a story for the grandkids! 🙂

scaredypants

Blimey, I missed this entirely

I’m glad it’s gone well

wordnumb
    Free Member

Good update – here’s to improvement from now on.

sargey

Thanks for the update,great news.
    I think we should call you Earl gray from now on, stiff upper back and all that 😀

gray

Thanks chaps!

anagallis_arvensis

Great to hear you doing so well!!

gray

Am now on the turbo for the first time, 12 days after surgery. Can’t really lean on the bars so am sitting upright. Can at least do something though. Woohoo!

funkmasterp

Just read all of this. So chuffed that you’re making a great recovery 🙂

slowoldgit
    Free Member

As funky said, please keep us informed.

gray

Little update in case anyone’s interested:

It’s now two years to the day since I was hit. I’ve recovered well from the surgery (April) to remove the metalwork. Have recently finished physio, but will be continuing with pilates for, well, maybe ever. Saw a surgeon for the last time a few weeks back (medico legal thing, not *my* surgeon) who said that my outcome is absolutely right at the best end of the spectrum. It could have ended up so much worse, but I was crazy lucky.

So, all things considered, I’m good! Still a bit sore and achey now and then, but I no longer have any good excuse for my fat and unfit state.

Here’s to fixing that next year!

matt_outandabout

Happy days…

See you on a bike some day.

cyclistm
    Free Member

Wow that’s mega. Best of luck (how did I miss this thread before?)

frankconway

@gray, you’ve been through the mill; my best to you for your continuing recovery.
    I hope the driver and/or their insurers have paid an ‘appropriate’price.

gray

Thanks guys. The insurance company paid out for a shiny new bike. Compensation for other stuff should be sorted over the coming months. Thankfully there’s no expectation that the residual damage is likely to cause loss of earnings, so I won’t be getting a massive chunk of cash, but I’m more than happy about that!

jonnyboi

Glad you are well recovered, and back cycling!

BigJohn

Glad you recovered well.
    Even though I hadn’t remembered this thread, for the last few days I’ve been super conscious of riding into low sun for fear of getting rear ended. It’s resulted in some lengthy diversions, which is a bonus and great excuse for being late home. “I was only taking care, which is what you always say to me”

simondbarnes

Good to hear Gray 🙂

wordnumb
    Free Member

Excellent update.

gray

Ta.

for the last few days I’ve been super conscious of riding into low sun for fear of getting rear ended.

I’m definitely a bit more conscious of this now! I live to the West of where I work, so this time of year I’m much happier on an overcast day than when it’s clear. I’ve considered getting one of those Garmin Varia radar thingies, but I suspect that it wouldn’t significantly affect the chances of actually being hit.

molgrips
    Free Member

Good news re recovery. But on the subject of low sun:

I have a Lezyne rear light with a ‘daylight’ mode. I initially thought it a bit daft and a bit of lumen willy waving, but I think it might help in low sun situations since it’s so ridiculously bright.

Just remember to turn it back down to sensible setting when the sun does drop.

adsh
    Free Member

Really glad your recovery has been so good. I remember the day it happened.

STL

Glad to hear you are on the road to recovery.
    I recently bought one of the Garmin Varia things, really like it, helps in situations where you might not realize there is a car coming up quickly behind you (windy day, or country roads where a car is closer than you think). Like you say it might not stop you getting hit, but a secondary awareness while riding. The lights on it are pretty bright too.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘Rider who helped me on Howe Hill, NYE’ is closed to new replies.