Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Rider down :o(
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

Out of respect to the deceased I’m out of this thread. There’s a few out to pick a fight and I’m not rising to it.

wwaswas

Twitter again: Appears that cyclist killed earlier on Farringdon Road by a massive construction vehicle may have been a very experienced rider. RIP

I think people need to wind their necks in with the whole blame/should of/would of stuff on this thread until the whole story is known.

It may save red faces later on.

[edit] Man killed this morning at Ludgate Circus by high cab tipper lorry *rumoured* to be a working bicycle courier.

dabble
    Free Member

Sad news indeed 🙁 . Stay safe all you London commuters, and the rest of you too.

RIP dude.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    xiphon
    Free Member

[If the ‘rumour’ is true]

Bicycle courier? Changes things a bit.

So…. perhaps in a rush to get from A to B?

Consider themselves “experienced” urban cyclists, so more willing to take higher risks?

Maybe “ignorance” of the dangers of urban cycling gets thrown out the window, and replaced with “intentional” placement in dangerous situations (after they do a quick risk assessment of the options presented to them)

(From my experience of daily commuting by bike through London for 4 years, couriers are the worst offenders by a looooong shot. Squeezing in between traffic, jumping red lights, wrong was up ‘one-way’ streets, the list is endless – all to get from A-B quicker.)

=====

Terrible news but sadly, not surprising.

(I’m surprised there aren’t more cycle deaths to be honest)

Flame suit engaged..

mossimus
    Free Member

If the ‘rumour’ is true]

Bicycle courier? Changes things a bit.

So…. perhaps in a rush to get from A to B?

Consider themselves “experienced” urban cyclists, so more willing to take higher risks?

Maybe “ignorance” of the dangers of urban cycling gets thrown out the window, and replaced with “intentional” placement in dangerous situations (after they do a quick risk assessment of the options presented to them)

(From my experience of daily commuting by bike through London for 4 years, couriers are the worst offenders by a looooong shot. Squeezing in between traffic, jumping red lights, wrong was up ‘one-way’ streets, the list is endless – all to get from A-B quicker.)

=====

Terrible news but sadly, not surprising.

(I’m surprised there aren’t more cycle deaths to be honest)

Flame suit engaged..

Rumour has it the unfortunate courier was called Andy, we have had calls from a couple of courier companies asking if Andy is ok. Both of our pushbikers called Andy are accounted for.

Condolences to friends and family.

neilthewheel

No reasonable person would expect someone in authority to deliberately design a cycle path so that it placed anyone using it in extreme danger.
    We need corporate manslaughter charges against the people who design this crap

This x lots

tightywighty
    Free Member

Bloody hell, tipper lorry again. 🙁 Either the infrastructure needs a change or they need to redesign these vehicles.

RIP rider.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Infrastructure has to be made better. Ludgate circus is a nightmare junction.

smartay

Having seen the video of the lorry blind spot and with governments trying to promote cycling surely there should be design changes to the lorry cab, window sill height brought in by legislation

tightywighty
    Free Member

smartay – Member

Having seen the video of the lorry blind spot and with governments trying to promote cycling surely there should be design changes to the lorry cab, window sill height brought in by legislation

They’ve done that for busses/lorries, but also say tippers are a special case because they need offroad site access and large wheel clearance. Therefore nothing to stop people getting caught and dragged under.

somouk
    Free Member

can i just add 3 points

MIRROR
    SIGNAL
    MANEUVER

the first of these points would have seen us not having to post this thread.

Watch the video about blind spots and how many cyclists can hide in the blind spot of a lorry. Even if the driver did use his mirror it wouldn’t help.

RIP to the poor fella.

amedias
    Free Member

Xiphon, just stop it, we do not know the facts so stop the speculation. Your arguments about rushing form A to B could equally be applied to tipper lorries being paid by the load, likewise your anecdotal evidence of couriers being the ‘worst offenders’ as you put it is not reflected in the statistics of them being more likely to be killed, so please just stop it, it’s throwing unnecessary accusations and insinuations around and fanning the flames when we should be focusing on other things.

No matter what the circumstances someone has lost a brother/son/husband/boyfriend/friend/father today and we should remember that.

Whatever their experience/inexperience or personal approach to risk, a simple error like being in slightly the wrong place at the wrong time in a major metropolitan city (truck or cyclist) should not result in a death. The Infrastructure and Society perpetuates this problem.

dazh

Whatever their experience/inexperience or personal approach to risk, a simple error like being in slightly the wrong place at the wrong time in a major metropolitan city (truck or cyclist) should not result in a death. The Infrastructure and Society perpetuates this problem.

That was the point I was trying to make but you did it much better. We all make mistakes either through impatience, ignorance, misjudgement or stupidity, but you don’t expect or deserve to die from them.

MoreCashThanDash

Very sad to see another death.

Occurs to me that there is a whiff of hypocrisy in some of the comments on here.

Yes, it probably is too early to be blaming the cyclist as we do not know the facts of this accident.

But by the same measure, it is also too early to be blaming the HGV driver and/or designer, or the guy that planned the road layout. We don’t know the facts of this particular accident.

We had enough knee jerk nonsense from the political class after last years horrendous run of fatalities, and the full facts and inquests on those have still not been published.

And while I agree with dazh that no one deserves to die in an accident due to making a mistake, the harsh fact is that a lot of people do. And a lit of people on here like to laugh about some of them when they make the Darwin awards

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Rider down :o(’ is closed to new replies.