Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Rider down in Bamford, Peak District
  • rogerthecat
    Free Member

Just been diverted round a Police road closure at the top of the climb up to the Anglers Rest in Bamford. Road reopened when I came back – Police clearing up around some huge skid marks on the road, lots of sand and sawdust and a bent bike propped against the lamp post. Plod at the bottom of the road said bike accident but nothing more.

Bike looked like it was a nice looking white road bike.

Anyone know more?

simonm
    Free Member

🙁

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Just arrived home to be told by Mrs Cat that it was a fatal accident. 🙁

thepodge
    Free Member

There were loads of cyclists out through Bamford today when I came back from work

That double bend is never safe with all the parked cars, people alway go through there far too fast in cars

Proper sad

smell_it
    Free Member
    rob-jackson
    Free Member

shit that is awful

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Hope that was more recent than the info from Mrs Cat, hers was from a local with whom she works.

mjb

Sadly, i’ve also just heard from a local that it was fatal. It sounded pretty serious as they were treated on the road for almost and hour before being taken to Sheffield in the air ambulance.

Sounds like he was coming down the hill after the bends and hit a car coming up and turning right. There was a delivery van parked directly opposite the junction which probably played a big part in the incident.

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

Grim 🙁

Something has got to change.

dannyh
    Free Member

Horrendous. One minute you’re on top of the world. In the fresh air, cruising on your bike, then blam.

Thoughts go out to all concerned, I doubt very much anyone means these things to happen. Lives irrevocably changed (and ended) in a matter of seconds.

If in doubt, slow down or stop.

eyerideit
    Free Member

rob jackson – Member
    shit that is awful

My thoughts exactly.

RIP rider.

pingu66
    Free Member

Sad sad news. How many until we get proper cycle facilities.

thepodge
    Free Member

I pass through there every day, most days I follow people who do 40 all the way along the 50 section, 40 through the 40 section & due to the hill, 45 through Bamford which is a 30 zone.

I’m really tempted to lock up a ghost bike in the corner but fear it’ll get taken down.

Ambrose

🙁

eyerideit
    Free Member

I pass through there every day, most days I follow people who do 40 all the way along the 50 section, 40 through the 40 section & due to the hill, 45 through Bamford which is a 30 zone.

I’m really tempted to lock up a ghost bike in the corner but fear it’ll get taken down.

I big picture/banner of the poor guy who died would be more effective.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

never ridden through but a PITA to drive through with all the parked cars, can see how it would happen.

Terrible news for somebody.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Thoughts are with everyone affected.

A sad start to a new day, but thankful for the opportunity to have another day.

peace.

simonm
    Free Member

This is sad. Could have been anyone of us who ride through there regularly.

Podge your right. Everyone drives/rides way to fast through Bamford, not that I know that’s contributory to this accident. But as an aside, I agree.

bamfordresident1
    Free Member

My thoughts are with the family and friend of the cyclist.
    I was at home but didn’t see the incident, only the emergency services a short time later.
    I live in Bamford and witness hundreds of cyclists vying for the same small piece of tarmac as motor cycles, cars, vans and 40-ton lorries.
    There is a blind bend next to village shop which is an accident waiting to happen.
    I think that all road users should slow down at this point to 20mph or less, especially those with machines where the stopping distances are greater.
    I have had many a near miss when crossing the road with cyclists coming round the corner as they are virtually silent and difficule to see.
    An old resident was killed a few years ago by a speeding cyclist just past the corner I was referring to.

Cut your speed, not just Bamford but through all villages and towns. Motorist tend to walk away from these incidents…..

rogerthecat
    Free Member

So sorry to hear that it was finally fatal.

That is a crap bit of road, parking on those bends is ridiculous and the speed cars, vans and trucks come down through them is insane because you can hardly see anything until you reach the top of the hill. Even then it is effectively one way at a time. Turning right at that junction is a bit of a lottery.

Also appears the driver was a young lad from our village.

Bloody awful whichever way you look at it. 🙁

mseddie
    Free Member

A horrible tragic accident.
    The Cyclist involved had just been to a bike shop in Sheffield to pay his last installment for his new bike a Colnago CLX and took it straight out into the peaks for a ride.
    He ended up on life support at Hospital which they had to switch off on Friday.
    so,so sad RIP our fellow cycling friend.

jso73
    Free Member

The cyclist involved was my friend.He had been looking forward to picking up his new colnago for months.His family and friends are totally devastated by whats happened.I know the emergency services and staff at the Northern General did everything they could to save him,but it was not to be.I speak on behalf of all his family and friends, to thank the local people of bamford who looked after him whilst the emergency services arrived. R.I.P John. sadly missed, but never forgotten

stumpy01

My condolences, jso73….

RIP, John.

pingu66
    Free Member

Deepest sympathies jso73 to you, his family and friends.

RIP John.

doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

Finished in court today.

The Star

So sad, looks like another lenient sentence (without hearing the court proceedings).

oldboy
    Free Member

A tragic event in a beautiful village. RIP and condolences to friends and family.

neilthewheel

Credit to the lad for pleading guilty. He could have elected for trial by jury and would most likely have walked free without a blemish on his character judging by recent outcomes.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Rider down in Bamford, Peak District’ is closed to new replies.