Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Rideable Lake District "epics"?
  • thecaptain
    Free Member

I’m not averse to a bit of a push if it’s worth it…

but we were a bit disappointed recently with a ride up Gatescarth and down Nan Bield. From Staveley, going over Cocklaw Fell on the way out. Due to comments here we took the cheeky path over Harter Fell which would have been a nice enough walk but carrying a tandem didn’t really enhance the experience. So I’m looking for rides that are more rideable, considering we will usually be on a tandem. Lots of getting on and off on technical descents is a pain – you can’t just put a foot down and walk the bike over something tricky. Carrying down a steep rocky slope is almost worse than going up it!

We have had some good rides – Garburn pass from Troutbeck, High Street from Hartsop (a case of the push up being worth it).

postierich
    Free Member

All epics are going to have a bit of Hike a bike in the Lakes I would recommend Helvellyn up Kepple Cove then left to the summit come back down the same way when back to KC take a left towards sticks pass down Sticks Pass then when you get to the mine area take a left up a small hill then find the footpath called Seldom Seen your passenger will love it! Takes you back to the road take a right back to Glennridding!

boxelder

Keswick, railway track to Threlkeld, Skiddaw House, Mosedale, round fell/mine tracks to Fellside/Longlands, Whitewater Dash, Skiddaw House, Latrigg, then the Borrowdale Bash.
    You said rideable

bullroar
    Free Member

That is a great descent Postierich, on a tandem I imagine it could quickly develop into an epic of a rather different type to what the OP probably has in mind.

yorkycsl
    Free Member

boxelder, cracking loop you describe, usually to the bash first then straight out round the back of the health centre down the old railway line to skiddaw house, especially in this weather but got caught out a while back being daft down spoony green lane pesky walkers oops… but I’m a walker too so I should of known better.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Maybe add “…on a tandem” to the tread title? Far more attention to be gained that way too! 😉

thecaptain
    Free Member

One advantage of the tandem is you never get negative comments from walkers. At least, not so far.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I wouldn’t want people to think we want easy flat rides, a bit of a carry is ok it’s the on-off technical stuff that gets wearing on the big bike. We cope better than many singles on steep but reasonably straight/wide routes. How is the top of Helvellyn for instance? I’ve walked up striding edge and down via Grisedale, but many years ago and don’t remember much – except that I certainly wouldn’t be carrying a tandem up that way!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Rideable Lake District "epics"?’ is closed to new replies.