Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Ride London 2018 – Strava Question?
  • jwt
    Free Member

I have entered into the ballot to do the 2018 ride London 100.
    When I completed the entry I was asked for a strava ID, do the organisers use that to make any determination about your suitability?
    I only ask as I mainly use Endomondo to record rides rather than strava, so it may not show me riding much historically?

imnotverygood

I think they use it to assess which wave to put you in. Don’t know if they just look at average speed or whatever. Personally, I just said ‘no’ because with all the off road/ pootling commutes on my Strava record I reckoned they might decide to put me in a slower wave than my awesomeness requires.

crazy-legs

I’d be very surprised if they bother (or indeed have the time and resources) to look through the Strava files of 80,000 applicants!

Guessing it’s probably more for social media purposes, enabling participants to see who else is in and clicking FB, Twitter & Strava links or possibly just for them to add you to a RideLondon Strava group.

Not sure anyone has worked out the logic behind selection process or what wave you end up in.

davosaurusrex

This just prompted me to enter and there is text by the Strava question now which says they use it to assess which wave to put you in.

njee20
    Free Member

Strava expose their data by API, so I imagine they’ll just harvest all your average speed stuff. Bit of a crap way to validate people’s ability. Get TTing and road racing everyone!

allthepies
    Free Member

wrong topic..

davosaurusrex

Hmmm. Did my first century last weekend (Wiggle New Forest sportive, I’ll no doubt burn in hell) at 17mph average solo which I would guess would put me mid pack. However most of my rides are twatting around in the woods with my mates at 7mph average so prob get put at the back.

Not likely to get a place by the sounds of it anyway so a bit academic really

mikey74
    Free Member

Is this new? I didn’t have to give Strava details last year. What if you don’t have a profile?

imnotverygood

They ask if you have one & only ask for details if the answer is yes.

mikey74
    Free Member

Ah! I remember there being the option. Just don’t tick the box.

simon_g

I didn’t think my pootling about with a toddler in the trailer (hey, it’s all kms) would help much so I said no.

Wouldn’t surprise me if they analyse the more casual end of the pack and produce some spurious stats around “cycling engagement” (because people did some longer training rides) for sponsors / advertisers.

jwt
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies, it’s no hardship to duplicate the rides by exporting the gpx from endomondo to strava for the next few months just in case.

njee20
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother, they’re not going to be able to use it to actually choose people.

Actually, I would bother because Strava’s vastly better than Endomondo, which I assumed had gone the way of Yahoo and Ask Jeeves!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Ride London 2018 – Strava Question?’ is closed to new replies.