• This topic has 60 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by IHN.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Ride London 2017, who's in?
  • njee20
    Free Member

Im not!

Just got my “tough shit” consolation magazine. Again. Applied every year, never got in. That’s got to be a record?!

Woefully unfit presently, so probably no bad thing. Will hopefully go and fix bikes up on Newlands again, always great fun!

crosshair
    Free Member

I didn’t get in 🙁
    Have a few friends to tap up for a place but otherwise I’ll focus on other things.

aP
    Free Member

Nope, that weekend I shall mostly be riding with Eddy Merkcx, near Verona. 😉

oomidamon

I’m out too. I get the feeling they’re only interested if you’re going to raise funds.

robbo
    Free Member

I got in last year so I’m trying Velo Birmingham as a target event this year. Same idea but a bit hillier!

nathb
    Free Member

Expecting my try again magazine to be sat waiting for me when I get home. 🙂

theflatboy
    Free Member

aP – Member
    Nope, that weekend I shall mostly be riding with Eddy Merkcx, near Verona.

Well at least you’re ahead of the curve this year! 😆

aP – Member
    When is it? Just so’s I can arrange to be away that weekend.

POSTED 2 YEARS AGO #

aP – Member
    when is it this year? just so’s I can arrange a weekend away then.

POSTED 12 MONTHS AGO #

aP
    Free Member

Well at least you’re ahead of the curve this year!

Damn right 😉 reminds me I need to sort something out for the 26th February and 11th March.

nedrapier

I had to defer last year’s ballot place, so should have one this year.

IHN

I got in last year so I’m trying Velo Birmingham as a target event this year.

Same here

Same idea but a bit hillier!

Wait, what? 😯

scud
    Free Member

5 years, never got a place, done 3 times for charity and to be honest, i wouldn’t do it again, it is fun to ride around London for last 8 miles on closed roads, but other than that there are just to many people doing it now, struggled to get up hills due to people walking and then on downhills as people ride as a group spanning whole road. Saw a ridiculous number of accidents last year purely through people riding it, who don’t really have very much experience of riding in a group, let alone surrounded by 1000’s of people.

Charities seem to putting up the amount they want you to raise too, started at £400-500, now it is £800-1000.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Applied every year, never got in. That’s got to be a record?!

Looks like I’m sharing the honour with you there!
    Strangely, everyone I know who got in for the first year has been successful every year since.

atlaz
    Free Member

Saw a ridiculous number of accidents last year purely through people riding it, who don’t really have very much experience of riding in a group, let alone surrounded by 1000’s of people.

TBH it’s a real British problem in sportives in general. I don’t have as much of an issue with beginners as some people (providing they have even basic road sense) but there’s a lot of sunday heroes out to smash it who act like **** in general, living out their TdF fantasies even if it means putting others at risk. If they were THAT good they’d be with the 4-hour finishers 🙂

I tend to bimble down descents if there’s a chance of someone ending up in my way. I’m in for a good time but a few seconds difference is better than a trip in an ambulance (even the party ambulance posted on here the other day).

wilburt
    Free Member

Boom!!

I’m in….again 🙂

(and will thoroughly enjoy living out my fantasies)

scud
    Free Member

TBH it’s a real British problem in sportives in general. I don’t have as much of an issue with beginners as some people (providing they have even basic road sense) but there’s a lot of sunday heroes out to smash it who act like **** in general

You are right, i found it was just amplified due to the sheer number or people, riding up Leith Hill (at my not very quick pace) and there was a sheer wall of people walking ahead of me, looked at me when i asked if they’d mind moving so i could actually ride my bike up as if i was being rude.

I fairly rarely do sportives these days, but something like the Dragon Ride is great, still got a decent number taking part, but long beautiful climbs, and you can really go for it on the descents.

Tiger6791

5 out of 5 rejections 😥

zilog6128

Just got my “tough shit” consolation magazine. Again. Applied every year, never got in. That’s got to be a record?!

Yep. They offered me the 46 miler last year, which I got in no problems. Would recommend it, actually, you get to do all the London landmark stuff. Only thing I missed I think was I’d have liked to do the hills as well. Although I saw a few accidents there were considerably less than on the full route (and no hold ups either!)

I’m out too. I get the feeling they’re only interested if you’re going to raise funds.

Yes, they earn a lot more money out of those places (same as London Marathon).

jam-bo

Applied every year, never got in. That’s got to be a record?!

my brother in law has got in every year on the ballot.

atlaz
    Free Member

You are right, i found it was just amplified due to the sheer number or people, riding up Leith Hill (at my not very quick pace) and there was a sheer wall of people walking ahead of me, looked at me when i asked if they’d mind moving so i could actually ride my bike up as if i was being rude.

I got in an early-ish wave when I did it and didn’t stop at a feed station until Westcott and even then only for long enough to refill my bottles. Leith was still a bit of a shit show but nowhere near as bad as for those even 30 mins behind. My biggest issue was the descent from Leith Hill… people sitting on top tubes pro-style, people dragging their brakes because they were nervous, people suddenly stopping to wait for mates etc. It’s a nice descent if you’re not with loads of people but a nightmare with such a mixed bag.

vinnyeh

In this year, after four years of trying.

Did the 46 last year, and like zilog would thoroughly recommend it for a nice wee, pretty much stress free, tour through London.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Didn’t get in this year. 4th year I’ve applied and have a 50% success rate.

Based in Kingston so might just join the route early and head round the hills on empty roads and then into London.

Mrs Mcavennie got in, so it’s not even as if we can go away for the weekend.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Got a charity place. Need to raise a grand. Really need to crack on with that…

Riding for Anthony Nolan in memory of 29erKeith.

crazy-legs

Didn’t even bother applying this year, every time I have applied I’ve had the “commisserations” magazine. Always got my place last minute through a workplace team. Did it in the biblical downpour year (2014??) and 2016.

Last year was fine as I was in the first wave off so we got a blistering pace going.

If something comes up through work or other connections I’ll put my name down for it.

johnhighfield
    Free Member

First time of applying (as they don’t do an MTB one!) & didn’t get in. I have entered – non-lottery – the Welsh & Birmingham Velothons though……

pictonroad

Bums. 100% failure record for me.

njee20
    Free Member

Dammit, I can’t even be the best failure!

zilog6128

Yep, 100% failure for me too now!

theboyneeds
    Free Member

Did it in 2014. Got a place in 2015 but couldn’t. 2016 and 2017 got commiserated.

Quite fancied it this year. I suppose I could get a charity place but I don’t feel comfortable asking for sponsorship to do something I’ll really enjoy!

superstu
    Free Member

Didn’t get in. Thankfully have applied for HONC which clashes so still have somewhere to ride around really slowly for several hours whilst wishing I’d trained.

nathb
    Free Member

Just to send home the point I walked in the house to find 2 commiserations magazines.

Can’t help but wonder if they sent them out as emails with PDFs they’d save a lot of money, which could reduce entry prices?

Anyway I’m not bitter or anything as I was lucky enough to ride the TOB closed road London stage last year. 🙄

wilburt
    Free Member

I wonder if any of the information you provide influences the desicion?

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i was in last year but really didnt have the motivation so deferred. definitely keen this time around though even if it is a total pain to get to from the far west of cornwall.

smurfly13
    Free Member

A no for me yet again this year….. getting bored of applying!

riddoch

Your estimated time of completion seems to influence the ballet so they get a spread of people on the course, the marathon works the same way. But as you don’t know what everyone else’s is putting down so you can’t really try and guess whether it better so say 4 hours or 8 .
    When I was faster I had a much better hit rate of getting into the London marathon than I have recently (gone from finish time in the top quartile to mid pack and plummeting).
    The entry system seems a bit odd as due to basic incompetence I managed to enter twice with the same details, I must have entered when the ballot opened and when I got the reminder that there was 2 days left to enter I entered again having forgotten the first time.

freeagent
    Free Member

Got in via the ballot in 2015 and 2016 so wasn’t surprised to get a rejection this year.
    Will apply for a place on the 46 and see what happens..

Tiger6791

So a friend is now 5/5 in

and i’m

5/5 out

Wonder just how random their ballots algorithm is because my maths isn’t great but it seems lots of 5/5 not in and lots of people get in every year. I’d expect it to be a bit more mixed.

??

theflatboy
    Free Member

It says clearly on their website that it’s not a fully random process. They shape it based on estimated completion time and preferred starting time, partly to make it a spread of ability and partly to make logistics easier at the start and the end. So if you put an ultrafast estimate and a first wave you’re clearly much more likely to get a place than if you put a middling finish time and a later start time.

If people really want a place it would appear there’s nothing to stop you manipulating your chances based on that information.

I’ve done it once, in 2015, and as far as I can recall that was the only year I tried for a place. And for the record, it was one of the best times I’ve ever had on a bike, flawless organisation and a great day all in all.

jam-bo

there were plenty of charities last year who had clearly overbought their places and were passing them on nearer to the date for a suitable entry fee sized donation.

fifeandy
    Free Member

So a friend is now 5/5 in

and i’m

5/5 out

Wonder just how random their ballots algorithm is because my maths isn’t great but it seems lots of 5/5 not in and lots of people get in every year. I’d expect it to be a bit more mixed.

??

Its a bit rubbish for sure, but that’s how random works.
    Go roll a dice 100 times and i’d expect you to get 3 runs where you roll a 4/5/6 5 times in a row.

TiRed

5/5 out again. May ride for club or charity this year.

I refer you to the coupon collectors problem

Prob place = 1/6 (roughly)
    Prob no place = (1-1/6)
    Prob never place = (1-1/6)^5
    Prob at least one place = 1 – (1-1/6)^5
    Prob at least one place = 59.8%

Clearly we five-times rejected just moan more. But we are a 40% minority.

For females, replace 1/6 with 1/2 (possibly 1/3 now).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Ride London 2017, who's in?’ is closed to new replies.