Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Ride ideas for Shropshire/Long Mynd please? Also Hopton v Eastridge?
  • jimbob115
    Free Member

Hello,
    A couple of mates and I are having a trip to Shropshire for a couple of days MTB’ing in July, and looking for ride/route ideas please. We went a good few years ago and did Carding Mill valley, up and down the Long Mynd a few times and finished off with Minton batch and back to Little Stretton. I’ve read that around the Stipperstones is pretty good too – better than the Long Mynd? Any good trails to link the two up? Looking for a 20-25 mile route, good views/scenery, decent singletrack, a bit of techie stuff too (not full on DH though). Any ideas or links to GPS routes?
    Another day, we are planning on riding at Hopton Woods or Eastridge Woods. which is best? worth doing both? We did Hopton last time, and really enjoyed a couple of laps at that. Not done eastridge before.
    Thanks in advance, Jimbob

mrhoppy

Combine Eastridge and Stiperstones as a ride, if you want to extend Long Mynd then look at Caer Caradoc and the Lawley.

20-25 miles round Easty and stiperstones would be ruinous if you’re not careful, it doesn’t really work like normal riding.

djflexure

Stipperstones and on to Eastridge is a really nice loop. Eastridge is quite steep but straightforward. It’s a big/ epic day out if you do Long Mynd too. Recently set off from Marshbrook and came back over Portway which was a drag. Fine if you are all relatively fit and determined but a bit daunting for some perhaps.
    Hopton is more concentrated fun – mini trail centre. Not been for ages but was generally quiet. Suits all abilities better.

kayak23

I love Hopton, but it’s more a defined loop, with the addition of dedicated dh tracks.

Eastridge is more a ride up with lots of different trail options back down, some harder than others.

I did a stunning loop, parking at Eastridge, up and over Stiperstones, on to Long Mynd, Minton Batch and all that and back. It was amazing, but over 40 miles and I was on a borrowed ebike. I guess some wouldn’t flinch at mileage and climbing like that but yeah.

Eastridge to Stiperstones is a nice ride and there are a couple of trails off the Stiper end of things. You could head up there, drop a few trails on the way, look at the amazing views, then head back and drop a few more at Eastridge. 👍

Scamper
    Free Member

What ever you do it will will involve a lot of climbing. 4 miles around Eastridge can be over a thousand feet

jimbob115
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies and info, cheers

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Ride ideas for Shropshire/Long Mynd please? Also Hopton v Eastridge?’ is closed to new replies.