Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Ride from Corrour – bonkers ride I need help!
  • Premier Icon swedishmetal
    Free Member

I’m not very fit and quite fat. As part of reversing that I want to do a tour which I’ve not done in a while. My big idea is to go to the most remote train station (Corrour) and ride home to Yorkshire.
    I’ve done tours before (C2C, WOTR etc) so I have a touring bike (Genesis TDF) and all the kit I need BUT I do not want to camp as I don’t have camping gear at all. Don’t tell me to buy it as I don’t want it and don’t want to carry it.

The problem is that I can plan a route from Perth southwards easily but the first but has me stumped. I can get a train to Corrour for about 4pm so I have limited time to ride (I am slow) to any accommodation. I could stay at Corrour but it’s £150 a night and I think I’ll want to ride a bit after the 8 hour train journey!!

There doesn’t seem to be any way south from Corrour, you seem to have to ride NE along the loch Ossian to get to the A86. I can’t see a way to go east or south or west.

The other issue is the state of the track. My TDF has 35mm tyres and should be ok on gravel paths, anyone been on the track and know what it’s like?

Aiming to do it late spring next year. Any advice welcome!

Premier Icon scotroutes

From Corrour, head South East towards Rannoch Station and then East. You’ll find B&Bs along the B846. (e.g. https://www.middleofnowhere.co.uk/)

That’ll all be OK on 35mm tyres.

(There’s also the hostel at Loch Ossian.)

Premier Icon tjagain

Loch ossian to the north is an easy gravel track. there is a youth hostel at loch ossian as well just a short distance from the railway station

You can go south east to Rannoch. I believe the main track has been redone / sanitised / ruined ( 😉 ) o would be ridable on a gravel bike despite being marked on the map as single track. I think yo woud be pushing up the climb perhaps but from then on would be OK

Use geograph to check out the state of tracks

The Road to the Isles

Premier Icon tjagain

There is also after Rannoch a estate road over the hill from the halfway along the south side of Loch Rannoch to bridge of balgie but I have only looked at in on a map. From there you can go south again on tiny roads to Killin and from there pick up the sustrans to callender. ( which is really nice)

Lots of climbing tho rannoch to Killin

Premier Icon scotroutes

Should say: that’s all part of the Great North Trail https://www.cyclinguk.org/route/great-north-trail-full-route-cape-wrath

Premier Icon jate
    Free Member

Middle of Nowhere is a great place to stay (been there a couple of times) and Heather & Eddie are very welcoming. The track from Corrour to Rannoch is now a double track so no issues on a gravel bike.

Premier Icon swedishmetal
    Free Member

Cool that sounds great about the track to Rannoch. Is the track the one that splits from the one heading along the south of Loch Ossian, runs almost parralel then heads south around the side of the mountain pretty much SSW straight?

Found it on Strava as “up the track from Lake Ossian” then along a bit then “decent (sic) to Rannock”?

Premier Icon boxelder

That track east from Loch Ossian (past Peter’s Stone and the old Corrour Lodge – the old ‘Road to the Isles) is lovely. You’ll probably need to push bits early on but after the old lodge it’s pretty much flat or downhill to the B486.

Free Member

Tjagain – looked at that track, do you mean the one from Rannoch school?

Looks ok on the way up but very sketchy on the way down the other side!

Premier Icon scotroutes

up the track from Lake Ossian” then along a bit then “decent (sic) to Rannock”?

Is someone taking the piss??  🙂

Free Member

Is someone taking the piss??

Some spelling lessons wouldn’t go amiss, that’s what it says on Strava.

Premier Icon 13thfloormonk

There is a good track that leads from Loch Rannoch through the Tay forest then descends to Innerwick via Lairig Ghallabhaich, it gets slightly rocky at the top but for the most part it’s a good forest road or landrover track. I rode it years ago on a heavily laden mountainbike, possibly with a trailer, I forget.

Free Member

There is a good track that leads from Loch Rannoch through the Tay forest then descends to Innerwick via Lairig Ghallabhaich, it gets slightly rocky at the top but for the most part it’s a good forest road or landrover track. I rode it years ago on a heavily laden mountainbike, possibly with a trailer, I forget.

Yes that’s the one I was looking at. There’s a couple of pics of it on google maps of the southern end but nothing at the top. It’s be a big climb but would cut out a fair few miles of road work. Nice road work though!!

Premier Icon whitestone
    Free Member

The Loch Rannoch to Innerwick (Bridge of Balgie) track is the HT550 route (and Badger Divide I think) in reverse. The section between the two forested areas is rougher but should be OK on a gravel bike. The tracks in Tay forest are good service, the descent to Innerwick is pretty steep and a bit rougher but still fine.

There’s a good cafe at Bridge of Balgie as well.

After Glen Lyon, there’s a big climb over to Loch Tay and then a bit of main road to Killin. There’s the cycleway down Glen Ogle on the old railway to Lochearnhead. After that you’ll need the Scots contingent to help you.

Premier Icon tjagain

Sweedish metal – yes thats the one. I do not know its quality but I see whitestone does.

the sustrans route to lochearnhead continues all the way to callendar

Premier Icon stevious

I did home (near Perth) -> Corrour on my gravel bike in October & stayed at the Youth Hostel. You can see the route here:

https://www.strava.com/activities/2777158654

The upgraded path from Loch Ossian over to Rannoch is great the whole way. Feel free to ask away about any other bits of the route.

FWIW, if you have the time, it’s worth staying in Loch Ossian hostel for a night. If you want some fresh air after the train journey then a wee lap of the Loch would be a perfect way to refresh yourself.

Corrour to Yorkshire sounds like an awesome tour to do. Good luck!

Premier Icon whitestone
    Free Member

Gah! “surface” not “service”!

Free Member

Stevious – that’s really helpful, thanks.

I’m thinking April or May to do it as it’ll be before midge season (allergic time bites so need to avoid as much as possible – not life threatening just very irritation!).

Premier Icon scotroutes

Wear Smidge regardless. It’s been great at limiting tick bites which are a bit more of a threat than the midge.

Free Member

Wear Smidge regardless. It’s been great at limiting tick bites which are a bit more of a threat than the midge.

I probably would do. I take anti-histamines anyway.

Free Member

Thanks all for the help. Makes the first section of the ride a bit better doing that cross country route rather than sticking to the roads. I’ll be on slicks but decent ones so I think I’ll be ok.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.