Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 133 total)
  • Ride. Drink. Pie. The Edinburgh version – Tuesdays, 6.30pm.
  • munrobiker
    Free Member

Thought I might leave stevenmenmuir’s thread alone and start a new one for Ride, Drink, Pie in Edinburgh. This is our own version of the very successful sociable rides run down in Hebden Bridge.

The aim is to have a sociable time, regardless of how fit/skilled you are. Rides are around 2 hours and it’s just meant to be a bit of fun. You can do them on a mountain bike, a gravel bike or a cyclocross bike. They’ll usually be up in the Pentlands. Rides end at the pub for snacks (or a full meal if you’ve not had your tea) and drink.

There’s a facebook page here if you fancy joining it.

https://www.facebook.com/ridedrinkpiescotland

We’ll be out on Tuesday the 20th. Hopefully we’ll see some of you there!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2gYcFGa]LRM_EXPORT_144134798632114_20190723_220338078[/url] by Luke Bradley, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2gYcFMv]LRM_EXPORT_144124190617672_20190723_220327470[/url] by Luke Bradley, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2gYbWcd]LRM_EXPORT_144146043965630_20190723_220349323[/url] by Luke Bradley, on Flickr

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Never explored the Pentlands, love the idea, and to put some names to faces, but driving for 3 hours and taking the FS on a gravel ride….. 🙁

kcal

Too far for me Luke though I (used to) know the Pentlands pretty well.
    Will tag my usual riding buddies to see if there is interest.

geex
    Free Member

Helmets?
    Seriously? What for?

kcal

in case TJ turns up?

geex
    Free Member

The Pentlands is pretty dull Nobeer. (even on slick tyres). certainly not worth an hours drive nevermind 3.
    Arrange an Embra/Borders weekend ride somewhere down the Valley. (I’m generally free every second weekend)

geex
    Free Member

I’m not wearing a **** helmet to ride to/from/in the Pentlands either.

munrobiker
    Free Member

To be honest, that’s just a stipulation I saw for the one down south and I assume they put it in to avoid being sued.

I’m willing to accept that some of the big hitters may want to ride near us on almost exactly the same route without helmets geex 😉 . Teej certainly won’t have one.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Sounds like a great idea, some quality responses so far 😄.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Pentlands might be absolute guff but they’re still better than your local trails. It’s only Winston’s crack that saves the day.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Is it an ashet pie?

I can’t be doing with all this extraneous-pastry-round-the-sides mallarkey.

altrezia
    Free Member

What a great idea. I wonder if there is anything like this near me (down near Basingstoke)..

tpbiker
    Free Member

Helmets?
    Seriously? What for

Only time I’ve ever broken a helmet was up at the pentlands, coming down the side of the road in the first pic up there, on the off road bit.Rode into an overhanging tree.

I might be up for this on a Tuesday.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Perchy – We’re not pie racists. We’ve had both so far (although, probably to your chagrin, much derision was poured on the stew-with-a-lid in the photos).

Altrezia – why not try making your own? They were doing it in Hebden Bridge, then my mate moved from there to Edinburgh so we just started doing them. The hope is to grow it so it has enough inertia that it’s self sustaining.

TPbiker – be nice to have you!

altrezia
    Free Member

I’m too introverted to organise people things. =)

joshvegas
    Free Member

If thats the road i think it is im the first picture i am not coming!

munrobiker
    Free Member

joshvegas – routes will be adapted to the mood of the group! We’re certainly never going near Puke Hill.

tjagain

Actually I have decided that group rides is a risk factor – peer pressure making you more likely to crash. the worst crashes I have had have been on group rides. Night riding is also a risk factor – so I probably would wear one 🙂

perchypanther
    Free Member

routes will be adapted to the mood of the group.

So, If I show up it’s just  bikes away and straight to the pies then?

joshvegas
    Free Member

Now we’re talking

tpbiker
    Free Member

If thats the road i think it is im the first picture i am not coming!

The road on the first pic is the exponential isn’t it? The only thing that makes me doubt this is that it looks flat in that pic…where as in reality it’s about 20% at points!

Are the majority taking gravel bikes or mtbs? Everything I ride up there is easy enough on a gravel bike, but I’m sure there are more technical trails I’m not aware of.

munrobiker
    Free Member

The last one I was on it was 50/50 gravel/road bikes. In fairness, there’s only one trail I’ve ridden in the Pentlands away from White Hill that I’d not have a crack at on a gravel bike so some rides may be more MTB focussed.

kcal

The stuff closer to the golf course is a bit more lumpy – Allermuir and up from the pump station (which I’ve only ever cleaned once..).

geex
    Free Member

Lol. You’re saying the Shitelands has more variety than the entirety of the Lammies, Saltoun, humbie, kinchie, Woodhall, Butterdean, Winton, Ormi, Faside and Carbs? (not to mention gosford and all the shitey beach riding behind it)
    M’kay.

#PissUp
    #Brewery

kcal

#WhatHandbagsForPentlands

stuartm555
    Free Member

I can’t make this Tuesday but definitely up for this another time. Will keep an eye on this thread. Plus I want a shot on your ebike geex 🙂

tjagain

There is a lot of trails in the pentlands – well over a hundred miles that I know of and on the old group rides I was shown more that I didn’t know. Gravel bike would be fine for most of it but slow on some sections ‘cos of the rocky nature rattling your teeth out and if you take the climbing idiots routes you might struggle for low enough gears. Forgotten the name of the climbing idiot who used to take us up all the steepest climbs. Dreghorn to the top of allermuir hill was one particularly brutal one and another was from green cleugh halfway up heading south.

geex
    Free Member

We’re certainly never going near Puke Hill.

Why?
    That’s what I rode up thinking I might catch you lot the night I confused the canal with the WoL. Half way up a runner told me you’d headed along the flat to the reservoir so not having a picnic hamper or a fishing rod with me I just continued on and up to the top of Harbour hill and descended (maidens?) to glencorse reservoir.
    it was shite. but perfectly doable on road tyres 😉

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Apart from a couple of notable exceptions all the bits you’ve listed would still be pretty dull even on slick tyres.
    M’kay?

geex
    Free Member

There is a lot of trails in the pentlands – well over a hundred miles that I know of and…

97miles of them are dull AF

geex
    Free Member

slick up and put yer money where your mouth is son 😉

munrobiker
    Free Member

The idea is the rides are suitable for pretty much anyone geex, including people just having a crack at it. If people are not keen on the idea of riding up Exponential they’ll hate Puke Hill.

Ride around chatting, chilling out and maybe you’ll meet a few folk who fancy a rowdier ride on another day (me included!).

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Keen

joshvegas
    Free Member

Ha i don’t really mind exponential or puke hill but its supposed to be a fun ride?

I’ll either be on a stupid singlespeed rigid or a gravel bike but unlike geex i won’t be a lazy bastard cheating with a motor…

… Or i will be looking at railway bridges elsewhere and not come at all!

tjagain

Puke hills advantage is it gets you up high quickly and there is a choice of routes from the top. although I hate it I often climb it when heading for the pentlands. Its not as bad as Dreghorn!

Munrobiker – I’ll take you to some bits that will test your skillz on a gravel bike! ( when I am no longer broken)

jimmy

Like this. I *will* come along soon, maybe even next week.

Ta

bigjim

Jesus GW why do you have to try and ruin something people have put effort into? Just don’t attend or keep your negative troll comments to yourself instead of trying to ruin things for people?

Looks good and if I was still in Edinburgh I would come along, the old tbc rides were good craic. I’m sure you’ll have good times.

jca

Close, but no cigar….

https://what3words.com/rice.drank.pine

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Jesus GW why do you have to try and ruin something people have put effort into? Just don’t attend or keep your negative troll comments to yourself instead of trying to ruin things for people?

Wipe yer eyes hen, he’s only having a bit of fun, no one was pissed off or offended.

geex
    Free Member

ruin a ride in the Pentlands?

haha… 😀

calm down big guy…

it is what it is.
    I ride all sorts of terrain quite happily.
    I’ve even been known to smile while pedalling on sand FFS.
    Shhhhhhh… tho 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 133 total)

The topic ‘Ride. Drink. Pie. The Edinburgh version – Tuesdays, 6.30pm.’ is closed to new replies.