• This topic has 14 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by mashr.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Ride Concepts mtb flat shoes
  • drew360
    Free Member

Anyone been riding these on trail – grippy enough ?

mcdonagh2962
    Free Member

Yep a great shoe and as grippy as a 5,10, im a 10 in rc and a 9.5 in the 5,10 If that helps

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

My lbs sells them. They have holes in the toe box, so pretty pointless.

jedi

It’s so hard to get a shoe for everything mtb. I hate a shoe that has no air flow in summer and accept wet feet in the winter. The best I have used so far are ion scrub amp. Seen the rc but not tried them they look OK but feel more flimsy than I expected. Giro used to do good shoes but a newer model that I can’t remember the name wore out in 2 weeks and had the worse sole grip wise ever.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I also baulked a wee bit at paying 130 quid for a brand I’d no experience of either tbh.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Absolutely not as grippy as 5-10’s.

appltn

I’m also really liking the ion scrub amp. They were great in the summer and while they’re not waterproof at all I’m getting along well with a pair of waterproof socks plus these shoes so far this winter.

The grip is better than my previous pair of five tens but then they were about 6 years old so it’s possible they were no longer performing at their best…

joepud
    Free Member

I have the Powerlines and had the Hellions been running them for like a year or so I think and found them both a lot better than 5:10s, but personally I think 5:10s are awful. Powerlines are not as stiff and have a bit more grip than the Hellions so better for a day out on the bike. They dry A LOT quicker than 5:10s which is huge plus and the d30 insole has saved me a few times when I have hit a root or rock. Would be more than willing to buy another pair but always like to dry different stuff so might opt for the Leatts or Ion next.

drew360
    Free Member

Thanks man ! Yeah sizing always super tricky when buying online – almost all my trainers old school pumas, etc including bike shoes are 1/2 size up on my normal shoe size

montylikesbeer

I have a pair of 5.10 and O’Neil pinned and I’m grabbing the O’Neil’s more and more.

Tons of grip and they dry a lot faster than the 5.10’s

sirromj

Ali Clarkson rides them seems to do alright (or was at some point).

mashr

but personally I think 5:10s are awful.

Interesting comment, how so?

kraken2345
    Free Member

Back in March I wanted a change from 5:10 as I think the longevity of the freerider pro is crap, think I got 6 months of riding out of a £120 shoe. I looked at loads of options but settled on trying the bontrager flatlines.

They’re a well made shoe however grip is seriously lacking, I’m happy with less than a 5:10 but any proper rock gardens and my foot can become detached very quickly. They have worn out a lot less in this time and I’m glad I’ve tried them out but next time I’ll look at ion or ride concepts.

joepud
    Free Member

Interesting comment, how so?

I think since Adidas took over they have got better. I have some of the adidas / 5:10 kestrels for gravel riding which are good, soles are stiff and the boa close is pretty decent. My biggest issue with 5:10s is how long they take to dry out, the soles either come off or just fall apart, I seem to go through them in about 6 months, once wet while riding they are so heavy its like you got bricks on your feet, and they seem to soak up water at a crazy fast rate. I honestly don’t get why people rave about them so much I think its just marketing and lack of bothering to try other options when there are now so many out.

These are hands down the best riding shoe I have ever had (OWN fr01) a winter (waterproof) and summer liner with a just a shell. Dry out by the morning really light and some d30 areas for some protection. I really wish they still made shoes. Even on the wettest days with the winter line my feet would stay totally dry. They were expensive but amazing. Mine lasted about 4 years of abuse before giving up.

mashr

I honestly don’t get why people rave about them so much I think its just marketing and lack of bothering to try other options when there are now so many out.

I’m sure you do get it – grip. Nothing (maybe OWN, but are they even around now?) has been able to match them. The new 2FOs are the first shoes I’ve ever seen being reviewed as having the same grip levels, but who enjoys gambling £100+ a time just to be disappointed?

Granted drying off Impacts has always been a pain in the arse. I’ll always suck it up as I like the stiffer sole. Get the soaking, get them clean and get them on a shoe drier and they can last well

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Ride Concepts mtb flat shoes’ is closed to new replies.