Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Riddle me a dropper seat post!
  • SammyC
    Free Member

Ok, so I’ve decided it’s time I joined the future and I’m going to get a dropper post for my PP Shan.

It needs to be 150mm drop, 30.9 diameter, externally routed. I’m trying to get one where the activation is from the seat post collar rather than the clamp to avoid long cables.

Unfortunately my Google-fu is failing me and I can’t find one that fits this, any suggestions on what to go for?

davewalsh
    Free Member

Fox transfer. A bit expensive but very good.

csb

Deleted as i was wrong.

damascus
    Free Member

Ks dropzone. I’ve had a few over the years, they have been bombproof.

You can pick them up 2nd hand as people don’t like them and want a bar lever. Put up a wanted ad.

LD
    Free Member

One of these? Lev

tomhoward

You can pick them up 2nd hand as people don’t like them and want a bar lever. Put up a wanted ad.

OP hasn’t said he wants a seat mounted lever, just for the cable to be connected at the collar, rather than where the seat is attached.

Levers under the seat almost totally defeat the point of a dropper IMO

jamesoz

Levers under the seat almost totally defeat the point of a dropper IMO

Depends. I quite like it on the single speed, it’s clean and tidy. If I’m racing yes, bar lever all day long. For just riding around its no hardship to ride one handed for a few seconds.

fooman

I was looking for the same but eventually bought a Brand X and cut a hole with a dremel, using one of these grommets to give it a clean factory look;

Dropper grommet

damascus
    Free Member

@tomHoward, my bad. 😂

rOcKeTdOg

its no hardship to ride one handed for a few seconds.

Tell that to Froomey

damascus
    Free Member

Tell that to Froomey

If only he had kept one hand on the bars

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

I’d say suck up the loss of 25mm travel and get the external Brand-X: https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/brand-x-ascend-ii-105mm-125mm-dropper-seatpost/rp-prod159176

TranzX list the JD-YSP29 as a 150/170mm version of that but it doesn’t seem to be for sale anywhere.

tomhoward

its no hardship to ride one handed for a few seconds.

True, thats why roadies still use downtube shifters.

ibnchris

Magura Vyron? Wireless

SammyC
    Free Member

Thanks guys, good food for thought. I think I’m torn between the Lev and a Brand X.

Lev seems to tick most of the boxes but is more expensive and sounds a little temperamental from reading some customer reviews and the Brand X which is shorter travel than I’d like.

Hmmmm…

SammyC
    Free Member

@foosman, I read your thread when you did it, chapeau and all that but I’m not prepared to chop into my frame just yet! 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

PNW have one with a collar mounted cable.

SammyC
    Free Member

Oooo, now that’s a very interesting suggestion! Thanks!

SammyC
    Free Member

So ordered the PNW 170mm dropper on Wednesday, arrived yesterday, fitted in 30 minutes 🙂

Really nicely made, no wobble or movement (apart from up and down obvs) and really easy to install and set up.

No idea on longevity obviously but will report back once I’ve used it for a bit.

Got 10% off with the welcome10 code which pretty much covered the shipping in case that’s useful to anyone else!

DickBarton

TranzX cover that with a few models…just now sure where you can get them from.

TheFlyingOx

I’ve got two KS Dropzones, one seatpost-lever and one handlebar-lever. They’ve both been utterly faultless and the bar-lever one is knocking on for 5 years old now. I’d go for a bar clamp lever though, I find it much easier to use than reaching under the saddle.

If you can suck up an inch less travel you can get the KS ETEN (which I’m guessing is the non-laidback current equivalent) for under £80 on JensonUSA.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Riddle me a dropper seat post!’ is closed to new replies.