Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Richard Scudamore
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

Have we done this one yet? Sickening sexist that needs birching, or all a bit of a storm in a tea cup. I look forward to the opinions of the STW masses

For what its worth, IMO it was stupid, but not really worth getting sacked over. As for the PA involved, she appears to have her own agenda, either that or is easily offended.

linky

cynic-al
    Free Member

So you think the PA should have kept mum?

I.E. YOU are sexist!?!?!?

(Godwin’s law, first post, I WIN)

tpbiker
    Free Member

Um no I’m not. And if you’d bothered reading the 2 very short paragraphs above then in no way did I say it was acceptable, nor that she shouldn’t have raised a concern.

But if that happened in my job it would have been dealt with internally through the appropriate channels. The fact she went squealing to the press is my issue. As for her being ‘Humiliated, belittled and disgusted’…really???

cynic-al
    Free Member

You clearly imply you think she did the wrong thing and/or for the wrong reasons!

I was actually joking then, but now…

😛 etc

tpbiker
    Free Member

🙂

scaredypants

blokes; all cocks inney ? 🙄

penac

Its probably a breech of the premier leagues email policy, I know my company would take a very harsh view of an employee saying that sort on thing on a company email address.

Anyway after the way Scudamore and the premier rounded on Supporters Direct a few years ago over a few colourful tweets about AFC Wimbledon’s promotion to the football league, they really have little choice but to drop him.

onehundredthidiot

Private email non-issue as it was a “joke”.

But he used work email so guilty of at least gross stupidity. Possibly a sacking offence for contravening their policies.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I don’t know anything about this story, or what was said, but after reading this off one of the links above, I’ve sort of lost interest in trying even to form an opinion-

She said: “He was busy, head down on the computer on his large desk. I was coming into his office and needed to ask him something so I knocked quietly to get his attention.

He absolutely laid into me, saying: ‘What’s wrong with you? Can’t you put some oomph into it? Come on try again.’

I felt really belittled.”

dannyh
    Free Member

He’s clearly a prick. He is a typical corporate schmooze who will hang on as long as possible with his snout in the trough. People like him are what is killing professional sport as a spectacle for the masses. Be it flogging off TV rights to subscription channels to engendering a corporate mindset that screws over paying supporters, he is completely typical of the breed. He should resign.

However the ‘whistleblower’ should also be out of a job, and should struggle to get any more jobs that involve trust in any respect. She was entrusted with email correspondence and should not have revealed it. Had the emails revealed a criminal act, she should have reported it to the police. As it was she sold the story to a tabloid in time-honoured backstabbing harridan style. She obviously had an agenda and her motives can hardly be described as honourable. She saw an opportunity to stab someone she didn’t like in the back and make a fat bundle of cash in the process. Not edifying stuff.

Yet again two untrustworthy and devious people who really deserve each other. All part of the circus that football now is with these leeches sucking the lifeblood out of it.

MoreCashThanDash

I’ve not read what he said, but seems to me that the main issue is that he used his work email to send a highly inappropriate private email. I’d get disciplined for that.

I can send what I like to friends on my private email.

Whether this is the root cause of the out of touch sexism allegedly prevalent within football I’m not so sure.

I can think of more important things that the Premier League should be worrying about than whether the bloke in charge likes to be an idiot in emails

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

I don’t think it’s a storm in a tea cup, seems like an old boy network at play.

So much for the PL’s supposed push for “the equality agenda” that RS himself has publicly championed.

Barclays are as usual spineless and missed an opportunity as well to show support for women.

Reminds me of some chauvinistic p&%^* I’ve had the (dis)pleasure of working with…

wwaswas

Barclays are as usual spineless and missed an opportunity as well to show support for women.

Although I’ve read this morning they won’t be renewing sponsorship.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Barclays are pulling sponsorship from the Boris Bikes which is way more interesting than wendyballerists prattling on about systemic sexism when it shouldn’t even be a feature in a professional environment..

binners

Imagine someone at a senior level in football turning out to be a misogynistic tool? Who’d have thunk it, eh?

kimbers

barclays were already keen not to renew the sponsorship as the new CEO doesnt like footy and thinks it gives banking a bad image? and they are cutting back on expenditure

and sponsorship is what its all about, its easy to forget what it means amongst the insane wages but £40 million is a lot of money and if Barclays are sponsoring you that much then you need to keep them happy

as for the emails, theres conflicted reports from the premiereship, initially they said private account, then his work account, then he said it was private
    it was investigated by his mate and he was cleared with no dsicplinary by a panel of his other mates

either way as his PA she had access to them, if you are man enough to refer to women as ‘gash’ when joking with your mates then you should be man enough to admit you are wrong and apologise for being a dick instead of the standard

apologise for any offence caused,

which is what he said

wwaswas

This made me smile (in a ‘blimey, was it really like that’ kind of way);

hora
    Free Member

Was the P.A paid for her telling the world her story? If she went public for no payment to herself fairplay. IF she was paid in changes the whole scenario.

I don’t think it’s a storm in a tea cup, seems like an old boy network at play.

Ever heard about/seen a bunch of girls discussing men?

Ever heard men (friends etc) discussing girls in banter?

Maybe his position in an organisation/putting something ‘in writing’ made it abit close to the bone but what if it was between someone lower in the organisation and spoken to another bloke (again the email was banter- so would the conversation).

Finally, what about Keith Lemon? Every week he crosses the line but its ‘comedy’.

wwaswas

IF she was paid in changes the whole scenario.

It doesn’t change the fact he sent the emails, does it?

She’s clearly milking it (whether for cash or just the chance of a book later) but the blokes a fool if he thinks what he did is acceptable or her taking money to tell removes the need for him to do something.

hora
    Free Member

Hes a fool yes. and hes a fool for writing it rather than banter/saying it in HIS leadership of a org position.

wwaswas

so how does it change the scenario then?

hora
    Free Member

When it spoken between friends (like girls do) its more informal. If he did the same with friends inside the office – that’d be wrong. He used a work medium to say things that could bring his employer/drag them into disrepute.

What I do think is alittle rank is why didn’t she say it to him/complain to him? Why did it have to be to a paper? I’ve always said- if you have a problem with someone do it to them/to their face or not at all. She was a temp so she had nothing to lose but saying it to him, that’d have shown her ‘principles’ so much better than the usual papers route…

MrWoppit
    Free Member

She saw an opportunity to stab someone she didn’t like in the back and make a fat bundle of cash in the process.

Sounds good to me. 😀

kimbers

if you have a problem with someone do it to them/to their face or not at all

her defence is that in an environment of mysoginistic old duffers that a temp would be ignored and fired straight away

his emails back up that such a culture did exist there

binners

More than anything this just reenforces how out of touch the people at the top of football are with the actual game.

My own experience of grassroots football is though Binnerette number 1, aged 10. She’s absolutely fanatical about football. She trains 3 times a week, and plays every Saturday morning for the local girls team. Theres a healthy girls league in Manchester, and they take it just as seriously as the boys.

So when you hear the people running the game using terms like ‘gash’ to describe females, and then display this kind of dismissive and pretty vile attitude towards women and girls, I despair

He should be sacked! Not necessarily for the terms he used (as theres no law against being a prick) but for the fact that we don’t need dinosaurs with this kind of Gene Hunt-esque attitude running the game, as its completely outdated and irrelevant. Can you think of many other organisations that would tolerate and indulge this kind of prehistoric approach at the top?

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

Binners, I completey agree

The NBA in the US have taken a major stance with Donald Stirling and his racist comments he made to his girlfriend. Players like LeBron James are standing up to the league and even threatening to boycott the 2014-2015 season if Stirling and his family are allowed to continue to have any part in the league.

hora
    Free Member

So no ballet classes for Daughter number 1 binners? 🙁

franksinatra

He is the Chief Exec of Premier League, responsible for equality and fairness and uses his work email account to refer to women as ‘Gash’, a phrase usually only heard on The Inbetweeners.

Fortunately for him the thorough, impartial investigation was carried out by his mates.

He should be gone.

franksinatra

just imagine if he had be caught using derogatory language to describe ethic minorities, gay people, people with disabilities. He would have been out the door like a shot…. why is is therefore okay to use language like that about women.

MSP

Has anyone actually seen the emails in full? I haven’t even seen a full sentence quoted from them, just the briefest excerpt that can do the greatest damage. I am always suspicious when tabloids get into a feeding frenzy while actually withholding the full evidence from the public domain.

hora
    Free Member

Has anyone actually seen the emails in full? I haven’t even seen a full sentence quoted from them, just the briefest excerpt that can do the greatest damage. I am always suspicious when tabloids get into a feeding frenzy while actually withholding the full evidence from the public domain.

much like the whey protein thread- telegraph link ‘high protein as harmful as smoking 20 a day’.

and Clarkson the racist!

binners

So no ballet classes for Daughter number 1 binners?

Not a chance mate. This is Frans idea of the perfect Saturday morning…

And this is the perfect Saturday afternoon

I’m so bloody proud of her!!! 😀

But what her and her mates are is the future of the game. Go to any match, and you’ll see that. Its about families, and…. shock, horror… GIRLS!!!! And thats why the prehistoric attitudes of Scudamore and his ilk have no place in the game. They’re as relevant to the modern premiership as terrace hooliganism! And what message does the indulgence of his vile misogyny send out to a younger female fan who should have to deal with neither, but still apparently has to accept one. He should be long gone!!

kimbers

MSP – Member
    Has anyone actually seen the emails in full? I haven’t even seen a full sentence quoted from them, just the briefest excerpt that can do the greatest damage. I am always suspicious when tabloids get into a feeding frenzy while actually withholding the full evidence from the public domain

surely scudamore should just post them up himself, then we can see that hes done no wrong at all……..

MSP

Should everyone accused in the court of public opinion have to reveal their email history to prove their innocence? (or perhaps more realistically the depth of their guilt).

much like the whey protein thread- telegraph link ‘high protein as harmful as smoking 20 a day’.

and Clarkson the racist!

No nothing like that.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ohhhh binner + 10000

Proper.

Thats right where the “game” should be heading, bringing back all those that kick a ball on Saturdays for FUN and encouraging it, not some poncey duffer who thinks it’s ok to slag off Girls, take the £’s and crap onthe little people.

Such a Blender..

hora
    Free Member

I’d like to see the emails not a mid-table football fan getting upset about ‘what if’ :mrgreen:

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Sack him along with all the ladies who send smutty emails. Dreadful the lot of them. They will be watching diet coke ads next.

chewkw
    Free Member

He has done nothing wrong if that is a private conversation.

But it looks the line is blurred now between private and public opinions.

Everyone is entitled to private opinions good or bad.

That women should be fired for breaching privacy.

🙄

wwaswas

Everyone is entitled to private opinions good or bad.

yes, but if they use their work email to express it then it’s no longer ‘private’.

particularly if their secretary is auto copied in on it.

hora
    Free Member

binners I’m sure you’ve said some sexist things about females on email- me and you both. Its normal.

Difference is this chappy is a head of an organisation. He should have waited until he wasn’t at work and it was verbal banter.

The problem with football isn’t the management as such its still some fans. It attracts idiots along with families and nice people.

Then there is the disgusting treatment of referees from the ground upwards.

If I saw a banana being thrown onto the pitch or racist chants I wouldn’t stay calm.

You face sexism binners – don’t forget we’ve got racism to possibly face with my son.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Richard Scudamore’ is closed to new replies.