Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Richard III should be buried in the North
  • mcboo
    Free Member

This is a great article, and a great idea. Imagine what a terrific occasion that would be, great way for kids (and the rest of us) to immerse themselves in Shakespeare and late-medieval history.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2012/09/richard-iii-should-be-buried-in-the-north/

If this is Richard, what happens next? It was suggested at the press conference that he would be buried in Leicester Cathedral, but others now suggest a full state occasion in London and his burial in Westminster Abbey.

By all means, let there be a state funeral for Richard, but it should be a state funeral in the north.

The last Plantagenet King should lie in state and be buried in York minster. What better way could there be to relearn the history of England, and to realise too that it has not always a London-centred story?

Whatever Richard’s deeds or misdeeds, one final symbolic moment of reconciliation would enable us all to find out what the Wars of the Roses were about, and how much they shaped England, before the white and red rose became primarily, today, the symbol of a fiercely benign county cricketing rivalry between Yorkshire and Lancashire.

Every schoolchild once knew that Richard of York gave battle in vain. It is now to York that he should finally return, rest and remain.

DezB
    Free Member

Yeah? People care about this?

(sorry, in my personal rules not to post on threads I don’t care about… but..?!?)

mrmo
    Free Member

As Edward 2 is at Gloucester why not?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    lemonysam
    Free Member

I was in favour of the notion until that final couplet.

mt
    Free Member

So you you want to send him back to Yorkshire, hope he can pay his way.

hels
    Free Member

How will they know for sure it is Richard III ?

IanMunro
    Free Member

Imagine what a terrific occasion that would be, great way for kids (and the rest of us) to immerse themselves in Shakespeare and late-medieval history.

Hmmm.
    Have you met a kid?
    Have you seen an xbox?
    😀

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

hels
    They’re doing DNA tests on his known descendants. I think I heard it on the radio that it’ll take a couple of months to come up eith a definitive answer.

mcboo
    Free Member

Hmmm.
    Have you met a kid?
    Have you seen an xbox?

Defeatist!

My 9yr old lapped up The Hollow Crown last month, BBC at its best and worth the price of the license fee alone.

He also watches all kinds of cr4p on the Disney channel but in my limited experience, kids have a healthy appetite for history, especially the blood drenched sort.

midlifecrashes

Why can’t they leave him where he is? Under the choir of a Franciscan abbey is a very respectable place to stay.

bencooper
    Free Member

Why can’t they leave him where he is? Under the choir of a Franciscan abbey is a very respectable place to stay.

Because he’s been under that car park for more than 4 hours…

MadPierre

Keep him here in Leicester. York gets enough tourists already. We could do with some more….

mt
    Free Member

hels – Member
    How will they know for sure it is Richard III ?

Should he still have clothes. His arms will be short and pockets long.
    Perhaps that was why his back was deformed, tyring to avoid paying for rounds.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Ahem.

Shakespeare is history like Nescafe is coffee…

Cougar

I don’t really get this, y’know.

They’ve found the bones of someone. They’ve been fine just where they are for centuries. Surely the right thing to do is leave them alone? It’s not like if they move him to York he’ll get better.

hels
    Free Member

Fair point. But Nescafe is based on coffee.

I would have doubts about DNA testing, not the science so much that back in the olden days one could never be sure who was the father. Surely the similarities would be so diluted as to be worthless, and you don’t know that you are comparing the right DNA anyway.

Still, it’s a nice story.

edlong
    Free Member

I understand ATOS have declared the skeleton fit for work.

atlaz
    Free Member

lapped up The Hollow Crown

Is that a euphemism?

hora
    Free Member

Didn’t Blackadder kill him?

kimbers

edlong – Member

I understand ATOS have declared the skeleton fit for work.

as hes been out of work for some time he no longer qualifies for benefits so will be forced to look after the trolleys in ASDA car park without pay

mcboo
    Free Member

Ahem.

Shakespeare is history like Nescafe is coffee…

Wow

Kuco

How about burying him at his birthplace of Fotheringhay at the church?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

We don’t even know if it is him yet, the whole scoliosis thing makes me think it isn’t him, as there are no contemporary descriptions of him that remark upon any physical deformity. If it is him, bury him with his wife Anne Neville and their young son.

athgray
    Free Member

“Oh my god it’s Richard the Third.”

druidh
    Free Member

The North? Why would you send him to Inverness?

rogerthecat
    Free Member

druidh – Member

The North? Why would you send him to Inverness?

Banishment?

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Richard III should be buried in the North’ is closed to new replies.