Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Richard Hammond
  • gobuchul
    Free Member

That sounds bad. 🙁

Can someone be lucky twice and not only survive but recover from such accidents?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

He’s got form.

deadkenny
    Free Member

He’s okay. Fractured knee.

http://news.sky.com/story/ex-top-gear-star-richard-hammond-in-hospital-after-car-crash-report-10911123

“The cause of the crash is unknown and is being investigated.” … err, being a dick with his mates shooting that stupid show.

Interestingly an electric super car, up in flames.

gobuchul
    Free Member

He climbed out of that by himself! Lucky bloke.

Harry_the_Spider

err, being a dick

Is this a reported fact or conjecture?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Why is doing a hill climb being a dick ?

How the heck does an electric car burst in to flames?

mechanicaldope

Think that will buff out?

cp

In much the same way as phone batteries, laptop batteries and cheap Chinese chargers.

mechanicaldope

What car was it anyway?

EDIT: ignore that. Says in the sky link.

julians
    Free Member

the same way a samsung note bursts into flames

Northwind

Well not quite the same way- bit bigger.

Every time I’ve got a dead lipo I like to explode it, it helps keep a healthy respect for them.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Good job it wasn’t a hybrid like my car then with the fuel tank next to the batteries 😯

deadkenny
    Free Member

Harry_the_Spider – Member 
    Is this a reported fact or conjecture?

Just mockery 😉

He’s okay, they’re idiots, it’s the Internet, can mock.

Though speculatively, I wouldn’t be surprised if they were attempting a daft stunt.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Probably the only thing that’ll happen on TGT that wasn’t scripted.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Bloke enjoys driver cars and makes a living out of it, then has an accident ?

Heal well and do what you love doing I say.

maxtorque

Hot / Damaged Electric cars catch on fire just like Hot / Damaged ICE powered ones. The difference is generally they take significantly longer to do so after any impact, so the occupants have a better chance of getting out!

(also worth noting the no1 cause of automotive fires after accidents is actually brake fluid spilling onto hot components (brakes / exhaust etc) because it is less volatile than gasoline and hence doesn’t just immediately evaporate away to vapour)

beej

Video on here. Just catches the moment he loses the back end, from a fair distance. Stops before you see any impact as the camera pans away.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/heres-the-moment-richard-hammond-lost-control-of-a-rimac-concept-one/

CountZero

crash is unknown and is being investigated.” … err, being a dick with his mates shooting that stupid show.

So to extrapolate from that, anyone taking part in any form of motorsports is being a dick, then?
    I mean, Nick Mason stuffed his McLaren into a tyre wall while doing a demo lap at Goodwood, so he was clearly being a dick, his daughter rolled her Austin A30 during practice for a classic car race, so that was obviously dickish behaviour…
    Deary me.

deadkenny
    Free Member

CountZero – Member 
    So to extrapolate from that, anyone taking part in any form of motorsports is being a dick, then?

Nope, just Clarkson, May & Hammond.

I’m taking the ‘p’ here in a light hearted way, yes in the knowledge he walked away from it (and yes, seriously, I’m glad he’s okay).

It’s a “lads” show about a bunch of guys having a laugh mucking about in cars doing mostly stupid stunts and are likely to have a crash from time to time. They take the ‘p’ out of each other anyway and I’m sure they will over this.

vongassit
    Free Member

£2 million price tag , Hammond you bell end! Glad it doesnt sound to bad, that thing fair shifted up that hill though.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Maybe it was a joke – you know, like on Top Gear.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Meh.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

He’s not even a real hamster FFS.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

time to watch some Stewart Lee

jambalaya
    Free Member

I hope he is ok, the vrash sounded pretty nasty. He should realise where his limitations lie. We all find our limit and hopefully we do so without killing or seriously injuring ourselves.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

He should realise where his limitations lie. We all find our limit and hopefully we do so without killing or seriously injuring ourselves

That’s the trouble with motorsport, I used to compete in hillclimbs and in finding your limit sometimes you have to go over it which sometimes you’ll get away with and other times you won’t.

People like pushing the limits, where’s the fun in getting to the top safely every time 😉

tomhoward

Maybe it was a joke – you know, like on Top Gear.

Nah, not nearly forced, or racist, enough for a (JC era) Top Gear…

mooman
    Free Member

kenneththecurtain – Member
    Probably the only thing that’ll happen on TGT that wasn’t scripted.

What’s the shows rating figures?

Those dramatic pictures of the mangled burned out wreck will get some headlines …

njee20
    Free Member

He should realise where his limitations lie. We all find our limit and hopefully we do so without killing or seriously injuring ourselves.

Those two things are unrelated. we all exceed our limits now and again, but generally get away with it. He didn’t in this case. That’s just unlucky, although clearly the penalty for failure in motorsport is often going to be higher than in cycling.

wrightyson
    Free Member

That looked to go very light on the arse end as he turned in slightly to the right.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Lots of people on FB querying why an electric car should catch fire, one even thinking it had a hidden petrol engine in it!

Batteries have horrendous amounts of stored energy in them. We use 12V180 Ampere Hour batts for standby power at work. Manufacturers warning labels state currents in excess of 1000A can be liberated in the event of a direct short. This is more than enough to make the end of a screwdriver or spanner disappear in a bright blue flash and spray of hot steel and lead.

I’m guessing that car has a top speed of over 200, maybe a range of 200 miles and weighs 1-2 tonnes. That’ll be a BIG battery. The car was subjected to a beyond manufactures warranty shock/load so some wiring could’ve failed leading to a large short circuit or the battery itself could’ve failed mechanically inside leading to short circuit. Or a combination of both.

Either way horrific amounts of electricity would’ve flowed possible battery thermal runaway as well, leading to massive temperature rises and fire.

Might take a bit of time to get going but really doesn’t like stopping until the electricity has discharged and don’t try pouring water on it!

We had a 270V 150Ah bank (40 big 12V batts in series and parallel) catch fire, due to old age and poor maintenance. Hobby Fire Brigade turned up crow barred the cabinet open and had hose in hole they had made when our Rapid Response guy turned up and shouted at them. They pointed to the circuit breakers on the local AC distribution panel in the room which they’d switched off stating it was all off and safe so they could apply water. RR had blazing argument with them at this point advising that you cannot turn batteries off and do you really want to be putting water on 270V DC! Luckily they relented and used powder to suppress the flames till the electricity discharged.

jimjam
    Free Member

Ming the Merciless – Member

Lots of people on FB querying why an electric car should catch fire, one even thinking it had a hidden petrol engine in it!

Batteries have horrendous amounts of stored energy in them. We use 12V180 Ampere Hour batts for standby power at work. Manufacturers warning labels state currents in excess of 1000A can be liberated in the event of a direct short. This is more than enough to make the end of a screwdriver or spanner disappear in a bright blue flash and spray of hot steel and lead.

I’m guessing that car has a top speed of over 200, maybe a range of 200 miles and weighs 1-2 tonnes. That’ll be a BIG battery. The car was subjected to a beyond manufactures warranty shock/load so some wiring could’ve failed leading to a large short circuit or the battery itself could’ve failed mechanically inside leading to short circuit. Or a combination of both.

Either way horrific amounts of electricity would’ve flowed possible battery thermal runaway as well, leading to massive temperature rises and fire.

Might take a bit of time to get going but really doesn’t like stopping until the electricity has discharged and don’t try pouring water on it!

We had a 270V 150Ah bank (40 big 12V batts in series and parallel) catch fire, due to old age and poor maintenance. Hobby Fire Brigade turned up crow barred the cabinet open and had hose in hole they had made when our Rapid Response guy turned up and shouted at them. They pointed to the circuit breakers on the local AC distribution panel in the room which they’d switched off stating it was all off and safe so they could apply water. RR had blazing argument with them at this point advising that you cannot turn batteries off and do you really want to be putting water on 270V DC! Luckily they relented and used powder to suppress the flames till the electricity discharged.

So basically, what you are saying is that the car is powered by witch craft?

Pigface
    Free Member

Surely Faiiry Dust

jimjam
    Free Member

Pigface – Member

Surely Faiiry Dust

Well now that you mention it have seen quite a few Fairy Dust vehicles on the roads.

Chest_Rockwell
    Free Member

nastybuller
    Free Member

Klunk
    Free Member

I didn’t realise he was back with the beeb 😕

Junkyard
    Free Member

to be fair the DM is usually far further back in time , with its views, than that mistake
    I think we should be pleased they have heard of top gear and possibly even the new television device 😉

jimjam
    Free Member

Well in fairness he’s known for Top Gear.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Richard Hammond’ is closed to new replies.