Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 184 total)
  • richard dawkins; faith school menace
  • crikey
    Free Member

dawkins is religious about his atheism

See above….

GrahamS

Unlike some intolerant busybodies, I couldn't
    give a monkeys what other people believe or what they teach their children.

Reeee-he-he-eeealy?

So taken to extremes you'd be quite comfortable for children to be taught that say, black people are inferior? Or that people without faith are agents of the devil? Or that they should gather arms and wait for the signal from the lizard people?

crikey
    Free Member

Lizards, now that's my kinda school…

crikey
    Free Member

On a slightly lighter note, I'm amazed that anyone thinks teaching religion to kids makes any difference at all; I was so cynical at that age about everything that it's a wonder I learnt anything at all….

I mean, come on, really, I mean really really, does anyone think that anyone actually believes the stuff that comes out in RE lessons or even assemblies?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

State funded schools shouldn't teach any religion at all.

Don't think it's quite that black and white. Firstly parents who want their children to taught RE pay their taxes just like anyone else, and therefore are entitled to have an input in deciding what is taught to their children. And secondly, the state does not necessarily completely fund faith schools. Certainly in the case of land and buildings much if not all is provided by respective churches/synagogue/whatever. They also contribute financially in other ways. The price for pointless petty vindictiveness would be less money available for the whole education system, or a much higher bill.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

So taken to extremes ….

Why do you have to take things to extremes GrahamS ? …… tell me

skidartist
    Free Member

As a card carrying atheist I think learning about religion is a vital part of children's education. Learning about religion isn't the same as indoctrination. Religion is a cultural / political thing, faith is something else. Religion has played a large part in the cultural and political history of our country and our legal and moral framework is a result of that, so understanding that is important

However, even as a fan of genetics and evolution, in my day to day life and work its totally irrelevant, as would be a believe in intelligent design. Science is much the same as religion in this respect – you don't need to believe in it in order to understand how it works. For anyone other than evolutionary biologists and theological students its only interesting but nothing more important than interesting.

crikey
    Free Member

Ernestovich, are you really arguing that the opium of the people be given to children without any thought or check?

Lenin will be like a kebab!

amodicumofgnar

did you have to start this I've got an add for something god video lurking in the box where there should be wooden sheds – I don't really believe in wooden sheds they were the lesser of two evils

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

crikey,having grown up in Ireland and been schooled in a (lay) primary school, I can safely say that as kids, through a concentrated effort of Sunday Mass, a good hour of catechism everyday, prayers in the morning, Angelus at noon, prayers before going home, and then all this being reinforced by parents, that we believed every bit of it. Yeah, it started to dawn on me in my teens, but I went through a long period of agnosticism before deciding it was all bollocks in the end. There's a reason that people joke about catholic guilt…indoctrination runs deep when it starts at such an early age.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Well I see CFH is doing his usual ad hominem trick about people he doesn't agree with. Quite how you can say that

I find his obsessive and preachy brand of atheism just as terrifying as religious extremists.

when the man himself is on record as saying about athiest schools

“I would prefer to call it a free-thinking free school. I would never want to indoctrinate children in atheism, any more than in religion. Instead, children should be taught to ask for evidence, to be sceptical, critical, open-minded.”

Granted this is not what it was reported in the Telegraph among other places but we shouldn't let a silly thing like facts get in way.

leffeboy

+1 for skidartist. I was trying to work out how to say exactly that. Teaching religion(s) at school needs to be different from what would be taught at a church

GrahamS

Why do you have to take things to extremes
    GrahamS ? …… tell me

Reductio ad absurdum

It demonstrates that what you said is patently untrue. You do care to some degree what other people teach their kids, so all we are really arguing about is the suitable level of control over what they are taught.

mefty
    Free Member

I don't think you do reduce the argument to the absurd, because I don't believe those things doesn't mean I don't think parents have the right to send their kids to a school that teaches such things. I would question whether government money should be spent on them, but as no faith that teaches such beliefs is asking for government funding, that is an irrelevance too.

crikey
    Free Member

I find the whole thing fascinating…

I was brought up without religion, or as without religion as is possible in the UK over the last 40 odd years, and when I went to school I regarded it as a strange part of the whole education thing. My kids have been brought up the same way, not to be dismissive or insulting about religion, but to think of it as something that some people believe in.

I used to live 200 yards from a small C of E school, and when my daughter was born, I wandered down one day to see about her going there.

Basically, I was told that unless both me and my wife attended church for a certain minimum number of sundays, there was no chance of her getting in.

So my child can't attend the nearest school to our house, for primary education, because I don't go to church.

Time to view education as a means to prepare our children for life, rather than to fight a rearguard action to fill churches in the future with people who seem able to disregard the basic teachings of said religion…

Rich men entering heaven and camels passing through needles eyes.

Bollocks.

TheDoog
    Free Member

Ha ha Dawkins, hasn't he been married a few times?? Ostensibly a religious ceremony……..

El-bent
    Free Member

Religion has played a large part in the cultural and political history of our country and our legal and moral framework is a result of that, so understanding that is important

+1. It should only be taught in schools within this context. Nothing else.

crikey
    Free Member

I've said the Lords Prayer a few times, and been to quite a few funerals, and also say variants of Jesus **** Christ when I hit my thumb with a hammer. Social constructs like religion are quite pervasive, so would like to make your point more clearly?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I think Dawkins' point about morals is that they're memes rather than something for which we have to thank religion. If you take a lot of Jesus' teachings, they're more or less variants of the Golden Rule ie "Do unto others…", don't be overly judgmental, it's easier to love than to hate etc. These are all morals which the human race has evolved all over the planet, whatever beliefs they have or don't have. I think our children can be taught these things without the vehicle of faith schools to hammer the point home through fear or punishment in an afterlife.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

crikey – Member

Ernestovich, are you really arguing that the opium of the people be given to children without any thought or check?

Lenin will be like a kebab!

How dare you question my Leninist credentials !!! 😀

Yeah, ironically I was thinking to myself "what a bunch of nasty Stalinists…….and I'm supposed to be the Tankie on here !" (a label which btw I proudly wear in the presence of Trots)

Yes I fully accept the concept of the "opium of the people". But this isn't the 1850s nor Tsarist Russia. I strongly believe that people should able to live their lives in whatever way they choose, as long as it isn't detrimental to me. And for example, a Jewish couple deciding they want to send their boy to a state funded Jewish school, does not in any way affect me. So I am perfectly prepared to defend their right to do so, against intolerant petty bigoted busybodies. hth

skidartist
    Free Member

El-bent – Member
    Religion has played a large part in the cultural and political history of our country and our legal and moral framework is a result of that, so understanding that is important
    +1. It should only be taught in schools within this context. Nothing else.

No. I'd only say thats a +1/2
    It should only be taught in schools within this context. Nothing necessarily anything else

Understanding religion is important, understanding science is important, believing in either, neither or both is a personal preference. A school, whether religious or secular, can't make you believe in anything.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

A school, whether religious or secular, can't make you believe in anything

I'd argue that a school can make a child young enough believe that black is white.

grumm
    Free Member

I used to live 200 yards from a small C of E school, and when my daughter was born, I wandered down one day to see about her going there.

Basically, I was told that unless both me and my wife attended church for a certain minimum number of sundays, there was no chance of her getting in.

So my child can't attend the nearest school to our house, for primary education, because I don't go to church.

I strongly believe such discrimination shouldn't be allowed in a modern society. And to think our taxes fund that school. 😕

As for Dawkins being as bad as religious extremists – bollox. Yes he's a bit shrill and annoying but come on…

TheDoog
    Free Member

I'd argue that a school can make a child young enough believe that black is white.

+1, children will believe most things they're taught or exposed to, be it god, father christmas, the tooth fairy etc etc. And like most things kids will figure it out for themselves as they grow.

El-bent
    Free Member

A school, whether religious or secular, can't make you believe in anything.

I believe you…

it isn't detrimental to me.

Not quite understanding what religion does and what it's doing in schools there Ernie.

mefty
    Free Member

grum – but it is a deal, taxes fund some of the school, the land and buildings are owned by the church so they have the right to lay down an admissions policy in exchange for providing the land and building, you may not agree with it but it allowed the state to effectively get a school without building one. It is very easy to forget that the Church of England has been providing wide spread education for a lot longer than the state – although as the Queen is head of the Church of England it is part of the state.

grumm
    Free Member

grum – but it is a deal, taxes fund some of the school, the land and buildings are owned by the church so they have the right to lay down an admissions policy in exchange for providing the land and building, you may not agree with it but it allowed the state to effectively get a school without building one.

I'd quite happily pay more taxes so we didn't have to put up with this medieval bullshit. 😉

It's quite an issue where I live as most of the high schools are religious. I just don't understand why religions get to be exempt from normal anti-discrimination etc laws

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Not quite understanding what religion does and what it's doing in schools there Ernie.

You see, that's my problem El-bent …………I never paid enough attention at school.

My entire education was 100% catholic.

El-bent
    Free Member

You should know then that Catholic girls are best…or so I've heard. 😉

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

😐 Talking about my sister ?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

A monkey should throw poo in his face.

Junkyard
    Free Member

mefty can I have a link to support your claim re schools I think the church may own the land but what is this formal deal you describe? They C of E just won the right to run a school near me beating the non denomination bid by the council so I think they have to buy the land to build the school but never heard of your deal before.
    I think religion should be let in the home.
    If people want to bring up their children [indoctrinate if you prefer] in a religion that is their business but I dont want to fund this under the oxymoron of education.
    Religous schools have interesting policies on sex education,evolution, genesis, star formation and aids with very little [ I am being poilite they are wrong ] evidence and we pay them to deliver this .
    You can choose to send you child to the nearest religous school [of you faith]to you if you are a non believer you cannot choose to send them to the nearest non religous school you go to the nearest even if it is religous. Not all equal under law sadly

Cougar

does anyone think that anyone actually believes the stuff that comes out in RE lessons or even assemblies?

I think it's called an "impressionable age." I remember being hopelessly confused about religion when growing up, because it made no sense, but it was taught be teachers so it must be right, right?

Firstly parents who want their children to taught RE pay their taxes just like anyone else, and therefore are entitled to have an input in deciding what is taught to their children.

Meanwhile, the churches are empty. Perhaps the 'believers' would be better off all round by their kids learning in a place of learning and worshipping in a place of worship?

Learning about religion isn't the same as indoctrination.

See, I've wondered about this. I can sort of see the argument for RE lessons if it's taught not as fact but as, well, religious education – ie, "the Christians believe this, however the Muslims believe this…" rather than "god is great, praise be, you're going to hell if you don't believe."

There's a reason that people joke about catholic guilt…indoctrination runs deep when it starts at such an early age.

And compared to some, Catholicism is one of the more tolerant religions.

hasn't he been married a few times?? Ostensibly a religious ceremony

I don't think that a belief in a god is required in order to get married. It may have its roots in religion, but it's a social and legal ceremony. How many atheists celebrate Christmas?

alex222
    Free Member

gripping stuff guys; really it is.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Is woppit unwell?

BontyBuns
    Free Member

Well maybe it's testiment to my personality but i love Dawkins/Hitchens/Harris/Davies All of the athiest so called 'Preachers' i'd rather listen to. The only other person i like listening to is the Archbishop of Canterbury, what a guy.

Crickey + 1

The problem i found with RE in schools was there was no argument against it during lesson. No debate, just straight telling me how it is, granted it was a christian boarding school but asoon as i started philosophy in the 5th form it had both sides of the argument. Much more inspiring and informative.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

Understanding religion is important, understanding science is important, believing in either, neither or both is a personal preference.

I'm sorry, believing in science? What part of science education did you miss? The scientific method removes the need for belief, what with all that empirical evidence.

BontyBuns
    Free Member

Empirical denotes information gained by means of observation, experience, or experiment. That's what i believe. But then again without initial untested theories we wouldn't have proof. Still waiting for proof of god though after all these years. Waiting….Still Waiting. Anybody. Anbody got anything? a Sandiwich made by god? Maybe Jesus knitted you a nice jumper with a picture of himself on the front. no? oh right…..back the drawing board then.

Flaperon

Dawkins is religious about his atheism in the same way that anyone who follows one of the main religions is.

Yes, but he doesn't ask for special privilege; threaten others with death and dismemberment for not believing; nor prescribe doctrine from a 2000 year (or older) book written by some people high on whatever was smoked back then.

I have no objection to people who point out that we can never know how the universe came about (unless we duplicate it), but believing it was created especially for them by some bloke in a beard who LISTENS TO THEIR THOUGHTS is stupidity and arrogance on a mind-boggling level.

It really is – this shouldn't even be touched upon in schools, and teaching kids about other "faiths" is a pointless waste of time. Children, if brought up appropriately, should respect people's eccentricities anyway. They don't need to know all the bollocks about it in the name of inclusiveness and cultural understanding. Much, much, more useful things could be done in that time – even something as boring as volunteering in the local community. Now *that* would be useful – 3200 schools * 1500 students * 2 hours a week…

And don't get me started on parents who indoctrinate their children in the way of their cult. Baptism / circumcision / other bollocks etc. Your child is no more a member of your religion than they are a member of the postal workers union. Wait until they're 16, give them a copy of the book, and ask them to make their own mind up.

As you might have gathered from this rant, I have no objection to religion per se. I, however, can't stand the idea that we're supposed to respect these views in public and appropriate special treatment, nor that people who haven't got the capacity to understand them are indoctrinated into them.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

May God go with you.

Is woppit unwell?

Should have an automatic post if Woppit hasn't responded to a thread about religion within a few minutes of it starting.

'Mr Woppit is Unwell'.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 184 total)

The topic ‘richard dawkins; faith school menace’ is closed to new replies.