• This topic has 36 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by tdog.
Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Ribble ti hardtail
  • davros

Just had an email about this. Too gnarr for me but I expect it will be of interest to some on here.

Linky

Bit spendy though. Expected it would be priced more like the sonder ti.

plus-one

Ribble Must have a new guy on the payroll. There new road and gravel bikes also look awesome !!

mick_r

They have – ex Boardman chap.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Chris?

ta11pau1

Looks nice, I’d still go for a Kingdom Vendetta frame for the price – cheaper, a few geo options/dropout options/cable routing options etc.

Also, no reach on the Geo chart?!

tall_martin

I’d be tempted to go straight to a manufacture like walty. Might come in at half the price of that.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’d be tempted to go straight to a manufacture like walty. Might come in at half the price of that.

Possibly, but then you’re effectively your own beta tester, no CEN testing, no testing the cable routing etc. I think I’d be happy with some bikes from walty or xcad, if a road bike dies they seem to crack which you find when washing the bike days later. But an aggressive hardtail I’d want a bit of reassurance that it wasnt going to fold in two.

chakaping
    Free Member

Also, no reach on the Geo chart?!

Case closed your honour.

Who are they trying to kid. Can you not get a SodaMax for the same money?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Seat angle is 2 years out of date.

superstu
    Free Member

Rather a sodamax or Stanton for that, I thought it would be cheaper. Makes the sonder signal seem ridiculously cheap.

superstu
    Free Member

Having said that it does look nice, some nice touches.

I prefer slightly less travel on a hardtail personally but each to their own.

kelvin

What are we supposed to infer from the little Union Jack on the top tube?

Merak

^That its supplied to you by a British company?

cokie

‘Designed in the UK, built in XXXX’- just like Whyte, Charge, On-one, Bird & more that add this as a sticker to the frames, some with the Union Jack.

You guys do it too, but just don’t add the Union Jack on the frames.

Our frames are designed and developed entirely by us here in the UK. We basically do everything but the welding and painting.

kelvin

That’s a clear and transparent statement from Cotic. Especially if you include the rest. The frames also say where they are manufactured right next to where they say they are designed. Each product page on the website has a section explaining where that model is made (most are Taiwan, some are mixed UK & Taiwan).

I was just wondering if the prominent flag on the Ribble implied UK made… mostly because the Stanton news is fresh in my mind.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

On the price, it says it’s triple butted (dunno how many tubes) the sonder doesn’t mention butting. So that goes some way to explaining the cost (similar / cheaper than a tarn Ti). Both well out of my price range mind !

brant
    Free Member

On the price, it says it’s triple butted (dunno how many tubes) the sonder doesn’t mention butting. So that goes some way to explaining the cost (similar / cheaper than a tarn Ti). Both well out of my price range mind !

Is it generally known how titanium is butted?

fivealive

Is this a trick question 😉 butting ti or steel is the same? a process of ‘drawing’ which can make the ends of the tubes thicker..

LimboJimbo

In no way am I in the market for one of these, but the video in the link really makes me go out and ride the bike I have.

philxx1975
    Free Member

That no one actually cares where something is made as long as the frat boys love it and the BRAND so much.

I would take Taiwanese labour and equipment over anything UK made in a country full of lazy people who cant even figure out if they want to be part of Europe or not, BRITAIN is irrelevant.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Not a scooby doo. I’m guessing it’s expensive to do well as there’s a lot of unbutted Ti frames on the market and the jump between “I can get a [unbutted] frame from Walty for half that”, Sonder and Planet-X arround the £800-£1000 mark, and stuff like Ribble, Genesis etc at ~£1700-£2000

damascus
    Free Member

Frame only £1799. I see ribble as a budget brand. Not sure id spend that much on a ribble when there are so many alternatives.

For example, you can get a genesis tarn ti frame and carbon fork for £1499. Before you say they are different, it’s just an example.

Did ribble pick up some ti frames from a manufacturer who didn’t get paid?

Kryton57

Seems to be a thing – Enigma have leaked that there’s a new MTB coming from them.

Daffy

I’d be willing to bet the more than 95% of people who read that (and care) would have to Google it, and of those that did, only a small percentage would get past Reynolds page.

The inference is that a butted frame can be lighter (I’m not convinced) and that a butted frame is one made of drawn (thus seamless) tubing (though I’m not certain if you can Butt a seamed Ti tube like you can a steel one). From a strength and longevity point of view, this I can sort-of understand. I’ve seen a few Ti frame split on the seam, but then again, the split started at the weld and propagated down the seam…Chicken or egg…

brant
    Free Member

Butted Ti frames are generally butted on a belt sander by removing material on the outside of the tube.

kelvin

Is that where the idea for the Fathead tubes came from?

Daffy

brant

Subscriber
    Butted Ti frames are generally butted on a belt sander by removing material on the outside of the tube.

Really? I know Reynolds Ti Tubing is done using a mandrell.

That’s certainly not the case for Aerospace tubing. Sanding and grinding of Ti is a big no no.

Daffy

When’s your Ti 29er Inbred due, Brant?

brant
    Free Member

That’s certainly not the case for Aerospace tubing. Sanding and grinding of Ti is a big no no.

It’s how Lynskey and lots of other places do it.

When’s your Ti 29er Inbred due, Brant?

Some stuff coming. Lost track. Would rather they made Planet X Tempests all day long.

tdog
    Free Member

Having bought some 780mm Rust bars (triple butted).
    After owning Thomson 730mm flats.
    I can confirm Rust ones are incredibly lighter. As in roughly 80-120grams for 50mm longer bit of Ti.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Five farsand parnds for a frikkin Ribble, you’re ‘avin a Giraffe

philxx1975
    Free Member

How many Titanium bikes have you built using aerospace sanded or grinded tubing?

It’s how Lynskey and lots of other places do it.

How many Titanium bikes have lynskey made?

fivealive

Ibis talk of “internally butted, externally butted, formed or swaged tubes”;
    Reilly, Seven talk of “butting process through drawing tubes”;
    Moots have moved between larger thinner straight walled and custom reynolds cold drawn double butted;

all £££ by comparison to Lynskey. Is it worth it?

brant
    Free Member

Dave says he’s sure we had a decal saying “can’t believe it’s not butted” on our first ti frames.

elliptic
    Free Member

There’s a DN6 decal on my mark one Tinbred…

fivealive

Dave says he’s sure we had a decal saying “can’t believe it’s not butted” on our first ti frames

😂 its all about the ride quality.. ti railed saddles I’m still in love with. Are they butted too?

tdog
    Free Member

Lol @ elliptic

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Ribble ti hardtail’ is closed to new replies.