Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • RF Aeffect cranks = cheese?
  • matt_outandabout

Eldest_oab’s RaceFace BB had started to creak.
    We went to remove the crank – ensured self extracting cover was threaded in as far as we could and greased on underside. Had to put an extension bar onto the Allen key – 20cm of old seat post, so not too aggressive.
    Leant on it and with a grriiiind pop the self extracting cover just pulled out a couple of mm, stripping the crank threads that held it.

I’ve had dozens of cranks that are self extracting. Never had an issue before.

Are these things cheese?
    Is that dead cranks?

null

benpinnick

Buy yourself a regular crank bolt for them and you’ll be fine as long as say half the threads are left that’s enough for a standard crank extractor when you need them off.

benpinnick

Actually scratch that. Just don’t refit the cover and use a crank extractor

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    chakaping
    Free Member

The one that comes on that bike is a right ballache, and different to my other Aeffect.

Why did they change the design? Old one was better.

russianbob
    Free Member

Not that this will help the crank situation but I would go out on a limb and say the creak isn’t the BB. Lay the bike down on it’s drive side and apply chain lube to the interface between the axle and the non-drive crank arm. Leave overnight.

I had a creak which I could not find on my Bronson. Turned out to be this. It would seem that the axle is inserted and into the crank arm, it is not one piece. Over time this drys out and begins to creak.

BTW, not had a problem with the cranks being made of cheese. So far.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘RF Aeffect cranks = cheese?’ is closed to new replies.