Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Reverb with a seatpost shim
  • greeble
    Free Member

A quick question.
    I’m changing frames and will be using a 30.9 Reverb in a 31.6 frame.
    Would it be alright to run a reverb in a frame with a shim?

kayak23

Short answer, Yes. I do exactly that in my Mega.
    What I would try and make sure of though is you have a nice long shim. Depending on the frame design, I’d want it to extend down, preferably past, the junction of the seat-tube with the toptube.

oli31
    Free Member

i’ve been running a 30.9 in a 31.6 frame with a shim (use I think) for about a year with no issues 🙂

amplebrew

If the frame is still under warranty, then I’d contact the manufacturer and get them to confirm via e-mail.

There was a thread on here a week or so ago now where a frame failed whilst using a shim and the company wouldn’t honour the warranty.

bland

little choice with a 34.9 tube, at least its not as bad as the 2 shim job i had to do with the gravity dropper till i got a reverb

Cocktail stick in a welly job

greeble
    Free Member

cheers guys. I’ve been looking at the U.S.E shims and they seen the longest ones you can get I think? unless anyone knows of anything longer?

iolo
    Free Member

There was a spanish guy who did something like that.
    He trashed his frame.
    The thread went on forever and I got bored of reading it after a bit.
    Check with the manufacturer.
    I’m sure someone will point you to the thread if you ask.

amplebrew

iolo – Member
    There was a spanish guy who did something like that.
    He trashed his frame.
    The thread went on forever and I got bored of reading it after a bit.
    Check with the manufacturer.
    I’m sure someone will point you to the thread if you ask.

I put a link to that thread in my earlier post, it was a Devinci frame.

Some frame manufacturers seem to recommend at least 4 inches in the frame. I think the USE shims are 100mm, so very slightly under.

I’d definitely be speaking with the frame manufacturer, just to make sure.

greeble
    Free Member

Good plan. I’ll keep an eye out for a correct size reverb

wonderchump
    Free Member

I use a shim on a Cotic Soul with my reverb. Minimum insertion depth on the seat post is 10cm which is precisely the length of the USE shim (which I have) no issues after some big hits. I’m nowhere near the minimum insertion depth so I can’t see how there could be a problem.

wwaswas

Minimum insertion depth on the seat post is 10cm which is precisely the length of the USE shim (which I have) no issues after some big hits. I’m nowhere near the minimum insertion depth so I can’t see how there could be a problem.

the issue is the minimum insertion depth that the frame manufacturer specifies. If they say 120mm minimum seat post insert then anything less may lead to grief later on.

You’re probably ok with the Soul, though.

amplebrew

Cotic, Santa Cruz and Turner all recommend a minimum of 100mm in the frame, but Liteville for example recommend 120mm.

After reading about the chap with the Devinci frame issue, I would be getting the manufacturer to confirm in writing such as on an e-mail.

A new correct size post would work out a lot cheaper than a new frame if there was an issue.

Syntace make a 140mm shim, have a look here. Don’t know if they make your size though.

greeble
    Free Member

Syntace make a 140mm shim, have a look here.

oh ribbed too….

thanks for the link. Its the wrong size though

amplebrew

Just edited my post, thought it might be the wrong size. Don’t know if they make any others.

What frame is it?

greeble
    Free Member

its a tracer 2 large.

I think I’ll not fancy my chances and get the correct dropper

letmetalktomark

I’m sure I read in the Reverb manual it says not to shim the posts 😕

That said I bought a 30.9 Reverb and a USE shim so I can SWAP it around a bit.

PolisherMan

Yeah, I rang Orange to check that a shim was ok on my new 5 first. No problem for that frame.

D0NK

I’m sure I read in the Reverb manual it says not to shim the posts

why tell you you can use their product in multiple applications when they could just sell you another product?

too tinfoil hat?

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

I would have e-mailed Orange so that I got a written answer which would be more difficult to back track on . On the other hand if anything went wrong I would just put the old post back in and claim that’s what had always been in it .

amplebrew

I think the minimum seatpost insertion is 4″ on an Intense, so a USE shim wouldn’t be long enough; albeit only very slightly off.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I’ve shimmed mine (30.9 post in 31.6 frame) since I got it, as has my Mrs. Never had an issue.

Just use common sense, and ensure there is a decent amount of post in there.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Reverb with a seatpost shim’ is closed to new replies.