Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Reverb sticking in the cold
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

Hi,

Just been out in the cold for the first time for a while (Puddles were freezing while I was out) – bloody reverb stuck in the down position once I got to the top of the first hill – had to ride the rest with it down.

Any one had the same? Is it a fault or just the cold? Any thoughts on stopping it happen?

Cheers

sofaboy73
    Free Member

never had any problems in frozen conditions before. How old is the post / has it been serviced recently? i believe the bushings under the collar can swell with water when they get get worn causing a sticky / slow return. perhaps if there’s water in there its expanded by freezing in very cold weather causing it to seize?

hainman
    Free Member

Mine does this on New years day,which was a bugger as i had plenty climbs still to go,I took the post for a bleed even though it had(allegedly)just been done,some air in the lever i was told,seems fine now and i was out saturday in the snow and it was baltic,

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cookeaa

Could you not press the remote and simply pull it up?

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Hmmm – both something I’ll try out.

Post is about 18months old and not been serviced yet.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

No, tried to press and pull but the seat just returned back to the lower position. Even tried pumping it but no joy

MartynS

Twiddle the return speed dial and pump the lever to see if that will encourage it back up.
    I doubt it’s the cold, I would put money on it needing a bleed. It’s dead easy to do!!!

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Cheers Martyn – how’s tricks?

MartynS

Really good!!
    I get the impression your doing ok!
    Open invite if you find yourself fancying a peak ride..

Have you got a bleed kit or was the post on the bike? It is genuinely a 10 minute job with the right kit!

sparkyrhino

Easy enough even i can do it in 10 mins, also get an enduro collar to carry in your pack, for such mafunctions.

mildbore

This happened recently to a couple of my mates. One returned the post as it was under warranty and got a replacement, t ‘ other lad had it happen on NYE and has also sent it back. Don’t think you’re supposed to pull it up by hand as this can suck oil past the seals I’ve heard. If it’s less than two years old, send it back,sram will almost certainly send you a new post

Burts
    Free Member

Twiddle the return speed dial and pump the lever to see if that will encourage it back up

This worked for me recently. I normally have mine set to low-speed return but a quick turn to high-speed and it popped straight up.

MartynS

Twiddle the return speed dial and pump the lever to see if that will encourage it back up
    This worked for me recently. I normally have mine set to low-speed return but a quick turn to high-speed and it popped straight up.

Burts,
    Yours will proberbly need bleeding really soon. The GF’s reverb will stick down, the speed adjustment trick gets it back up, but it only has a couple more cycles in it.

I think this was because I’d shortened the hose and not quite reseated the hose on the lever barb properly. I’ve tidied up the hose and reseated it and so far so good..

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Martyn, doing really well. Almost back to full fitness after my off in the summer. Peaks sometime would be good. Will check out some dates and see what we can arrange.

How does the enduro collar work?

My post has been rising slowly for a while so will be bleeding tomorrow I think

sparkyrhino

The collar can be used to set the drop height to prefered drop height,or will keep a droopy post in a high position,as said above not a great idea to pull it up, just try and coax it using the speed control and lever.

Potdog
    Free Member

Had this on mine, a bleed cured it.

swanny853

Have you checked the air pressure? If it’s got low then the post wouldn’t come back up well at all. If you’ve pulled it up a long way with no air pressure there’s a pretty reasonable chance you’ve pulled air into the internal oil circuit and it will develop sag. You may get lucky, but if not it’s probably a full strip down and rebuild

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice – Hopefully all sorted, perhaps temporarily.

– Air pressure was 280psi so reset back to 250psi

– The black screw on collar was slightly loose so have unscrewed it fully (by hand) to find a bit of water and gunk. Cleaned as best I could, got the hair dryer on it to dry it out as best I can.

– Bled the system – little bit of air although I did only do this about 3 months ago.

Once all this was done it felt a lot smoother and was working as quickly as normal once I’d done the above. Just testing it at the moment.

I think a full service might be needed soon. Any idea of the going rate?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Reverb sticking in the cold’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts