Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Reverb Stealth drilling
  • orangewinger
    Free Member

I bought a Reverb but had a stealth delivered instead, shop doesn’t have any more in stock. So would you drill a hole in a steel frame and if so where? My thoughts are either in the BB shell or where a bottle mount would go on the seat tube. Or I could take the safe option and just return if for a refund.

It’s a Stanton slackline 631 btw.

brant
    Free Member

Seat tubes see a lot of torsional loading, and I’d be wary of drilling holes in things without brazed reinforcements.

timmys

I bought a Reverb but had a stealth delivered instead, shop doesn’t have any more in stock.

Out of interest was the shop Planet-X/On-one? (waves at Brant)

I’m expecting delivery today of a Reverb from them that was described as a 150mm drop non-stealth which I’m not sure exists, so am kinda expecting a stealth to turn up. Mines for a Slackline too funnily enough, though won’t be getting the drill out if it is a stealth!

EDIT:
    Have you seen this?
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fitting-rockshox-reverb-stealth-to-non-compatible-frame-pictures
    If I was consider doing similar (which I’m not), I think I’d opt for drilling the headtube (based on no engineering know-how at all).

orangewinger
    Free Member

Yes it was, although I only ordered the 125mm version, so I was a little surprised to see a Stealth land on my doorstep.

timmys

Hmmm, not looking good for my hopes of a non-stealth! Oh well, back to saving for a 150mm KS Lev.

lungman

Mine turned up today and surprise suprise it’s a stelth

sbd16v
    Free Member

what price have people paid for these stealths that were ment to be normal ones ?

Northwind

Yeah, if anyone’s ended up with a Stealth at On One prices perhaps I could take that off your hands 😉

Re drilling, only thing to do is speak to Stanton. I’m going to drill my own frame after getting a pretty reasonable “We’ve never tried it, we won’t recommend it, but it’s not definitely stupid so here’s the best way to do it, and good luck” from the manufacturers

creamegg
    Free Member

Yep just got home to a stealth version. If it was the 150mm version i think id be tempted to drill the frame

jimoiseau
    Free Member

I’ve ordered the 100mmx355mm one, anyone recieved a stealth one of these? I’m hoping mine won’t turn out to be stealth because of the size, do they even make the stealth in those dimensions?

Crell
    Free Member

I think Liteville are the only ones who go so far as to actually OK it and even tell you how & where to do it.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

I asked transition about drilling my covert, they said it should be fine. But obviously if it broke at the hole I wouldn’t be eligible for crash replacement. Otherwise it would be fine.

HI Stuart,

It is very likely that drilling a hole for a Reverb will not cause any future issues, however if something did arise from doing this I can’t promise that it could be covered under warranty. But as always, we would do our best to help you out.

Cheers!

creamegg
    Free Member

I just spoke to orange about drilling my five, they said it would be fine too although it may be hard to route it at the bb

Edit: my five is already out of warranty.

orangewinger
    Free Member

Where have you been advised to drill? The Liteville instructions suggest drilling right near the weld of the down tube and seat tube.

Northwind

With me (Cotic) Cy recommended underneath the band of the front mech, but as far away from the main pivot as possible. Which works out rather neatly cable-routing-wise I think.

flyingmonkeycorps

Is that on your Hemlock Northwind? My Reverb is dead so I’m looking to replace and half thinking about upgrading to a Stealth…

Also if anyone has an unwanted Stealth… *nudge nudge*

creamegg
    Free Member

The orange five RS is drilled at the top of the downtube (facing upwards) which is where I’d like to drill but don’t think I’ll be able to get to it so my second choice is at side of downtube towards the headset end

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Reverb Stealth drilling’ is closed to new replies.