Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Reverb stanchion replacement??
  • J273
    Free Member

My reverb was bought in dec ’14 from canyon direct when they were selling them off cheap. Its been fine for most part but ive noticed some pretty deep scouring on the stanchion as though something internally is at fault.

Ive never touched the post so probably should of serviced it sooner. Is it possible to buy replacement stanchions for the post? I dont want to pay a fortune as its probably not worth it and id be best to get a new post.

Are replacement stanchions available?

Ta

zer0c00l44
    Free Member

They should be available, but the price of that plus the price of a full service and very possible the top cap bushing has also gone so that would need to be replaced at a cost of £40. You would be better off buying a new post.

service – £80
    possible top cap replacement – £40
    Upper inner tube – guessing at least £50

I say a replacement top cap due to you mentioning scoring of the upper tube. Most probably from dirt getting inside the post and not only wearing away the upper tube but probably both bushing surfaces. One bushing comes in the kit, the other is part of the top cap.

I would save on hassle and buy a new post.

swanny853

The stanchion isn’t a sealing surface, how bad is it? It sounds like there’s some grit or similar stuck in the collar/topcap area. At the very least it can’t hurt to pop that out and have a look if you’re going to write it off otherwise.

You’ll need to follow the beginning stages of the SRAM instructions (they’re on youtube in four parts) until you get the post lower and the bit where you put the air in off. Then carefully remove the lower bushing (at the base of the stanchion) and slide the top collar off. You can the give it a clean inside and inspect the stanchion properly. If it’s really gone, just replace it. If it’s scoring, you may be fine with just a fresh grease or maybe a new top collar.

All you’ll need (I think, from memory) is:
    – circlip pliers (‘make ring smaller’ type)
    – big enough adjustable spanner to fit over the collar
    – vice and aluminium soft jaws
    – some appropriate grease to reassemble. Rockshox use slick honey, I’ve been using the next closest thing I could find, can’t remember what.

J273
    Free Member

Yeah tbh the scorings not too bad. I might send it off to see if its worth having a service and money spent on it or im just best to buy a replacement.

LoCo
    Free Member

Not worth replacing stantion due to cost, cheaper to buy a new post.

carlos
    Free Member

Not worth replacing stantion due to cost, cheaper to buy a new post.

This^^^^ Just replaced mine due to Stanton wear and air loss, although my Reverb was over 3yrs old

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Reverb stanchion replacement??’ is closed to new replies.