• This topic has 25 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by gogg.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Reverb slow to drop and return. Bleed or service?
  • rhid

I bought a 2nd hand reverb off ebay a while ago and its always been a bit slow to drop and return. Riding today it was very very slow in dropping and returning. Anyone had a similar thing happen to them? Will a bleed solve it or does it need a full service? It will need to go to the LBS for a bleed as I have no skills in the reverb bleeding dept!

M1llh0use
    Free Member

have you tried adjusted the speed setting on the lever?

rhid

Yeah I tried that first but to no avail. Its set at its fastest already and I think the continents may move a bit qicker than the post!

frogstomp

It will need to go to the LBS for a bleed as I have no skills in the reverb bleeding dept!

If you have the bleed kit give it a try.. it really is very simple!

Video
    PDF

welshfarmer

I had similar symptoms on mine… then I realised the knob was catching on the brake mount and not getting the last mm of travel. Moved it slightly and it was back to full speed. Now I guess yours is free to move but if there is any air in there whatsoever it will have the same effect, i.e. the piston will not effectively be able to bottom its’ stroke. So on that basis I reckon a good bleed should be your first point of call. If it fails then chances are it is something more serious! Let’s hope not

muddy9mtb

as others have said, “bleeding” is very simple and should help. but check the remote connection looks intact – the barb nut
    is very delicate and easily damaged after a crash. I’ve managed to pull mine off, not realising it’s broken, then pushed it back on! if it’s second hand who knows whats happened in the past…just make sure it feels secure before bleeding, the barb is easy to fix but not cheap.

rhid

Ok. I will try and bleed it tonight. I have a spare post so I can still use the bike it if it all goes wrong and needs to be taken in bits to the shop!

rhid

Muddy9mtb- thats a good tip I will check that too. I have already broken one connector on my other reverb, they are very fragile!

welshfarmer

A tip with barb replacement. The barbed ends cost about £9 each on Ebay. However, you can buy a complete hose kit for £12 whcih comes with both barbed ends and a length of hose. Worth having just in case (my hose is about rubbed through at the back so will be replaced soon)

LoCo
    Free Member

Try a bleed first along with checking air pressure.
    We do barbs etc for not a lot, and can service them for you too if necessary.
    Warranty on them is 2 years (really should have full service 12) as they get a right hammering and direct in firing line of grot off the back wheel.

fadda

You’ve checked the air pressure first, yes?

The valve is either under the saddle, or in the bottom of the post, and it should be up to about 250psi.

Sorry if I’m teaching granny to suck eggs!

rhid

Thanks fro all the advice. I am pretty certain I check air pressure when I got it and it was a bit low so pumped up to the recommended 250psi.

When bleeding the speed dial should be turned to slow, is that correct? I remember reading or being told that this wasn’t necessarily the best way to bleed the post…..is this correct?

Loco- if it all goes wrong I could well be looking for a serivce!!

muddy9mtb

sram produced a full video on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsRlj_JJ8t0
    …don’t think you could beat that
    loco – I can’t find your reverb bits?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

How does a reverb actually work? I always thought that the hydraulic side has nothing to do with the compression and extension of the post itself – that was the air pressure/air spring. The hydraulic part only effectively locks it into place in lieu of a mechanical locking mechanism. If this is then you will need to bleed the system if you get vertical movement when locked in any postition as you compress air in the hydraulic circuit, so a bleed wont affect the speed at which it extends – that’s the air pressure. You havn’t clamped the seat collar too tight have you? when I fitted mine I was amazed at how loose the seat collar was relatvie to how tight it is with a conventional seat post.

LoCo
    Free Member

Website being fiddled with atm to update lists, (silly amount of parts to do!)
    If you have a queries drop us a line at the workshop 😀

muddy9mtb

bad timing then loco 😀

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

so a bleed wont affect the speed at which it extends – that’s the air pressure

Not strictly true Wobbliscott. Whilst the hydraulic circuit does not actually raise the post, it can limit the return speed. The hydraulic circuit is progressive, not just on/off.

muddy9mtb

wobbliscott…maybe if you watched all the service videos on youtube that may answer your question? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxgUK3gC_Fk&list=PLtfnVpdul4H069_F5b9k5Uya0DySg0ndU
    I imagine it’s slightly more sophisticated than thing under your adjustable office chair

LoCo
    Free Member

remote hydraulic system actuates a poppet valve, so poor bleed will give less lift.

muddy9mtb

loco – how much for a barb nut? maybe have one as spare

LoCo
    Free Member

£2 per end, while bag of spares lasts, we do have a min order of £10 though due to card charges, but have lots of other random widgets cheap too 😉

muddy9mtb

do you have random gel type widgets which is what I usually fill my basket up with on min orders??? 💡

LoCo
    Free Member

Son was up at 0430 this morning so he’s been ‘helping’ with data entry on website for more things added including Reverb parts, ‘special’ 😛 stw price on barbs for a few weeks (don’t be mailing me in 2016 to get them for £2)
    If you’re reading this in the near/distant future future 😉

rhid

Just an update on this – Apparently my reverb heard my threats about bleeding it and has started to work perfectly…not sure how or why but I think it may have been hindered by the brake lever and subsequent moving of the lever has sorted this out!

Thanks for all the advice

rhid

LoCo
    Free Member

😀

gogg
    Free Member

You can get that reverb hose for £10.99 and in white as well as black

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Reverb slow to drop and return. Bleed or service?’ is closed to new replies.