Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Reverb service – now sinking as I ride along?
  • Premier Icon Rustychain
    Free Member

I recently sent my reverb away to be serviced. Excellent customer service and a good price.

Since re-fitting it, the post sometimes ‘sinks’ as I’m riding along (normally rough conditions), so I need to stand and re-extend it every few minutes. It sinks maybe 10 mm.

I’ve contacted the outfit that serviced it. They claim it’s impossible to detect this issue at a service, but are willing to service it again (which is a bit of a pain in the bum as it means sending it off again etc).

Are they spinning me a yarn about not being able to detect this at a service?

Premier Icon BadlyWiredDog

I suspect it would be hard to simulate actual riding use without riding it. It’s inconvenient yes, but if they’re prepared to sort it out, what more can you ask for?

Premier Icon Bunnyhop
    Free Member

Mine is the same, always sinking at least 10mm. Some friends had a fiddle with it but it’s still the same.
    I’ve asked a few local bike shops to sort it, but they’ve declined.

I now set the saddle to high allowing for the sinkage and pop it up when I’m about to start a steepish climb.

Premier Icon BadlyWiredDog

Have you checked the air pressure in the post btw? I can’t remember what it’s supposed to be – 250 psi rings a bell, but best check the RS manual. If it’s low – either from a leak or because it wasn’t fully pressurised after the service, that could cause sag.

Premier Icon mikey-simmo
    Free Member

I had one which sank a matter of months after a full service. Couldn’t do more for it so I removed it and lived without. I don’t need something like that in my life, it just complicates stuff.

Premier Icon philjunior
    Free Member

Try winding the actuation speed a bit slower, might sort the problem.

I assume it wasn’t doing this prior to the service?

Premier Icon Davesport

If the post is working ok otherwise and it’s not losing fluid or pressure, there’s fluid getting past the poppet valve at the top of the post. Could be a damaged o ring, dirt or a fiber from a cleaning rag etc. Your weight is supported by the fluid between to piston and the poppet. When the poppet is released in normal operation or leaking the fluid moves past the poppet and into the annulus and pushes the IFP down. I’d guess the poppet is leaking.

Needs stripping and rebuilding.

D.

Premier Icon Rustychain
    Free Member

Thanks for the responses. I’ll try adjusting the actuator to see if that helps, otherwise it looks like it’s back to the service centre. The poppet was meant to be replaced as part of the service so maybe it’s some contamination.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.