Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Reverb advice please.
  • vincienup
    Free Member

After playing with a mates’ bike yesterday I have joined the list of people who suddenly realise they want one.

I get the post size – 31.6 to fit the hole – but I’m a little confused about the rest.

I think the 355/380/425 is relating to fixed amount of body that stays in the bike- so if there’s a butt in the seat tube part way down (there is) I need a shorter post than this?

Also, the 100/125… This relates to the amount of rise/fall available? And is this measured from frame or top of collar?

Finally- button. I’m led to believe that if I get a RH one I can mount it on my left and have the button in the same area as my gear thumbies? (Ie, under the bar) Don’t think I want to add anything to my right hand…

Ta! 🙂

creamegg
    Free Member

Thats about it yes.

sandal100

The 355 etc is the overall length of the post when extended.

The 100/125 is the amount of adjustable travel on the post, top of collar to saddle.

A RH on the left underneath only really works on 1×10 as it will clash with the shifter unless its run outside making it unreachable without taking your hand off the grip.

With the seat post length etc, I found I couldn’t get a 125 post in deep enough to be able to sit in the right position, plus the length was too long and frame design was stopping it. I changed it for a 100 and the shortest overall length and all was great!

vincienup
    Free Member

Cool. And rise/fall from top of collar?

vincienup
    Free Member

Already found a 420 post doesn’t fit all the way down.

Little confused about the post above though – I thought they all dropped flat to the collar so a 125 or 100 would give same dropped position but different top height when extended?

sandal100

They do, so that’s 100 or 125mm of adjustable travel.

If my other piece has confused, then the 125mm of travel, plus 25 mm collar meant I was sat too high…

vincienup
    Free Member

Aha. So 125 measured from top of 25mm collar equals 150mm saddle height at full extension, and quoted 380/355 etc is equivalent amount of regular post you can stuff in the tube for zero height conventional post. This is my question answered. Thanks, Sandal! 🙂

Re the mounting under left bar- why would it clash with shifter? Going to spend some time sitting on bike prodding thumbs and seeing where I would like to put a button … I don’t want to move my existing controls, I’m running 2×10 and tend to use the left shifter (modern shimano without indicator) only when moving from up to down … And yes if I would MTFU and do it all without a granny this would cease to be an issue… I think a button on top of bar would make an awkward reach from hand position ? My shifters are set so thumb is maybe 30-45 degrees down from bar horizontal and are comfortable to use without shifting my grip. Brakes are set as far down as shifter body allows from this position and are about right for me.

vincienup
    Free Member

Hm. Actually I think I see the problem.

My brakes are split clamp elixirs, so I could matchmaker the button on?

flyingmonkeycorps

You can get matchmaker clamps aye. I run mine 2×9 (old school!) with a RH shifter on the left hand bars, and it sits next to the shifter fine. Just took a bit of wiggling (SLX shifters and Formula brakes).

sandal100

It’s the speed adjuster that curves round to the right, if mounted under on left, that would possibly clash with a shifter. If your elixirs are the mounts with a single bolt top to bottom instead of the two like the older style then the brake and remote will go together.

Look here at mine for example, you can see the speed adjuster as well
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/8655026/

jambon
    Free Member

You’re probably set on a Reverb, but I can’t recommend the KS LEV more. 6″ of drop, much better cable routing and you can mount the tiny lever where you want and it’s unlikely to get damaged in a crash. It’s a lovely thing to behold.

legend
    Free Member

My setup if it helps:

Reverb setup by mark_p2511, on Flickr

KS’ do look good too, the only think that would put me off at the moment is the warranty backup (or lack theirof). Ok so warranty is always through the retailer, but it’s still likely to add hassle/time if you do have a problem.

jambon
    Free Member

Bought my LEV from bike discount.de – a tiny part was missing which I fabricated myself to make it work. One email to them and the part is on its way. They seem like good people to do business with.

legend
    Free Member

No doubt they are, UK support isn’t quite as rosey though.

vincienup
    Free Member

Not particularly wedded to Reverb but know I like it – had heard mixed about KS but I guess you always will.

So, what’s better about the Lev or is it just ‘different’?

Here’s my current dropper less left hand setup…

sandal100

That brake lever won’t go on the same mout as a reverb so that ones out. Looking at that picture it would have to go grip->shifter->lever->reverb unless you get the reverb and then move stuff around to fit it all in. Even if you moved shifter to the right a bit and pu the reverb between grip and shifter the speed adjust on the reverb would hit the shifter unless you had it at a funny angle

jambon
    Free Member

The LEV? Well, what I said really. I’m just over 6 foot and ride techy trails and a 6″ drop is just enough – would prefer 7″ but 5″ would just not be enough for me. The cable routing is fab as is joins the post at the base of the collar and doesn’t move with the action of the drop, It’s also a cable so no bleeding or worries about what happens if it gets bashed. The trigger on the Reverb is big and capable of being broken even when mounted under the bars (from what I’ve heard) – the LEVs lever is tiny and replaces one of the grippers on ODI style grips. Not everyone likes the LEV trigger but I have BIG hands and love it. If you don’t like it then any other cable trigger can be used such as a Crank Brothers Joplin one – the Reverbs can’t be altered and you’re stuck with what you choose when you buy it having not used it.

That’s it really. Both the LEV and the Reverb work well (most of the time) from what I’ve read so they’re the main contenders.

I was an early adopter of dropper posts – bought a Maverick Speedball when they were new but 3″ of drop is pointless and don’t get me started about the Bontrager Saddle clamp used…

Riksbar

There’s one of the £180 Reverbs going back to Wiggle tomorrow, 31.6 dia, 420mm length 125mm drop. I needed a have a 30.9 on the way as I’m stupid. If anyone wants it for cost and postage e-mail me.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Reverb advice please.’ is closed to new replies.