Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)
  • Returning to running in old age
  • martin_t
    Free Member

Since Christmas I have started running again after a 10 year break from running and pretty much any exercise (I am now 43). In the past, I was an okay runner (37 min 10k) and previously, whenever I came back after a break I could be running pretty close to my best after a relatively short period.

However, this time I am surprised how slowly I am running and how hard I am finding it. I am wondering if I am just old now and this is the new normal?
    … anyway I guess the really positive thing is I have been running injury free for a couple of months now and have gradually built up the mileage, running three times a week. I guess speed shouldn’t matter too much but I have always found it a good motivation.

Has anyone else returned to running after a long break? What was the come-back trajectory like? Any tips?

johndoh
    Free Member

I am 53 and it usually takes me about 3 months (only running once or twice a week) to get back to my ‘normal’ pace which is usually around 8m 30s mile pace for runs of up to 8 miles (longer than that and I drop to about 9m mile pace).

andrewh
    Free Member

a 10 year break from running

I am surprised how slowly I am running

I’m not surprised. Give it time, it will come, but will take a while.

yosemitepaul

I’m 61, and just got back after 18 months off due to a cartilage op. I think I’m not too far from where I used to be, maybe a bit slower, and certainly slower than when I was 31 or 41 but my attitude now is ‘who cares”!!……..I run for me not anyone else and I probably run further and faster than 95% of the UK population. I’ve never won a race and never will. If I knock a couple of seconds off yesterdays 10K then happy days. If I don’t then I might tomorrow!…………Its pouring with rain here at the moment and I’m off out now for my run!

dashed
    Free Member

43 is old age? I’m ****.

stcolin
    Free Member

I’m 38. I wish I’d never bothered with it. I started running properly when I was 32 and I’ve been plagued with niggles ever since. My background is football since I could stand up and mountain biking and the worst I had was a couple of pulled muscles. Running has given me 2 slipped discs, a f**ked knee (recently), calf pains, and multiple hamstring issues.

I’d love to be able to run, but I think I’m probably done with it. I’m sure that’s just me, and you will be fine if you take your time.

jimmy

43 is old age? I’m ****.

This.

I’m getting back into running at 44 after a 8 year hiatus. I love trail running, I love running up and down hills. It’s tough, speed doesn’t matter.

chaos

I think a lot of your speed / endurance can come back especially if you’re only 43.

Definitely take your time though on that recovery path and don’t neglect the post-run stretching.  I tend to do some light foam-rollering before as well which has helped stave off the calf/achilles soreness I’m prone to.

Perhaps by early summer, if all is well, then incorporate some intervals / fartleks to start getting some speed back.  Like you say it really helps with the motivation although it’s disturbing when you find how hard it can be to sustain something like your old 5k PB pace for even just a 1min on/30sec off type workout.

alanf
    Free Member

You need to give your body time to adapt to the load again after such a long time off. Muscles, joints, ligaments etc wont be accustomed to the strain so go easy and build up slowly. Recovery will also be more important. I find foam roller and some compression work for my recovery, and keeping hydrated and eating decent food helps.
    I did my fastest half after just turning 45 so I don’t think you should naturally think you’re past your best at 43.

martin_t
    Free Member

Thanks all. That has given me a lot to think about and good kick of motivation. The “old age” thing was obviously a bit tongue in cheek but I must admit it is the first time I have felt old.

how hard it can be to sustain something like your old 5k PB pace for even just a 1min on/30sec off type workout.

… exactly this, it feels miles (and miles) away.

I am beginning to think the biggest challenge for me will be redefining how and why I run and being bit more zen about the whole thing. One thing I will say is, that starting running again has done wonders for my state of mind.

DezB
    Free Member

I restarted around Christmas, was just getting up to 5km (ok for someone who hadn’t done any running for erm, I dunno how many years) and then my calf muscle started playing up. Takes bloody ages for anything to recover at 50bastard7, so only just got back to the 5k again.
    Oh to be 30 again eh.
    The “old age” thing was obviously a bit tongue in cheek GOOD!

mattcartlidge

Find someone to run with, great for social aspect (especially now) and the miles pass almost without you noticing if your running slower whilst talking, have run a fair bit over lockdown but by far my favourite have been running off road with my mate.

scotroutes

Might be better for me as I didn’t even start running until I was well into my 50’s so my expectations are low.

whitestone
    Free Member

Age is only a problem if you use it as an excuse.

Joe Friel

Just to shame you (joking) the oldest person to have succeeded on the Bob Graham Round was 71 at the time! There’s 140 completions by those fifty years and older. You’ve still plenty of time.

DezB
    Free Member

Find someone to run with

Mine’s called I.Pod … wouldn’t run with anyone else!

cat69uk
    Free Member

I’m 51, finally knuckled down this year, did 100 miles in Jan and got up to a 38 mile week in Feb. Not fast mind you, anywhere from 10+ minute miles, low 8’s at best. Pretty much run every day and so far avoided injury(touch wood). Actually love it and aiming for a local 50k Ultra in June, which I’m sure will involve walking!

johndoh
    Free Member

by far my favourite have been running off road with my mate.

Gawd no – I hate running with anyone else (fine running in events when it’s a whole bunch of people, but just two people. Nah)!

loum
    Free Member

For me, mid forties,I think flexibility and strength are going downhill. It’s probably possible to train for it, but it seems that would never be the same sort of bouncy explosive strength or flex as younger.
    So speed drops.
    Stamina can be trained, and I reckon half marathon upwards could get better. 5k and below unlikely.
    Not sure about 10k.

And everything alanf said above, recovery will take more effort and time.

And 37 minute for 10k is more than ok in my opinion.

Daffy

I’m 40 this year and will have been running (again) for 2 years in April this year. I hadn’t ran since I was 14. You’re never too old. I’m just about to crest 1000 miles since I started again and have just worn out (like, completely through) my first set of shoes.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Not quite the same but I’m 41 and never been a “runner” apart from the VERY occasional 3/4 mile jog (literally a few times a year). Decided earlier this year to start it on a more regular basis. Think I’ve been for a shortish run weekly now for the last 5/6 weeks and just been at lunch, working up from a few miles to 5 with the aim of getting to 10k in the next few weeks and doing that in sub 1 hour as a starter and then start to bring it down. Can’t see myself doing much more than 10k as I’ll lose interest but as a lunchtime break away from the home office, its perfect, easy exercise.

thecrookofdevon

I have always enjoyed running and found it pretty easy. However the gaps between running seemed to grow from months to years whereas I always kept up cycling. Now I am trying to run again. No problem doing the run. Seems like I could run for miles but my afterwards my calves scream at me. Then the day after and the day after that they still scream. Makes me want to give it up and stick to the bike.

kennyp
    Free Member

I’ve started (age 57) to get back into it since Christmas, having run very little for six or seven years. Really enjoying it so far, mostly Pentlands trail running with a few road runs on top. Actually when I say “running” it’s more a mix of running and walking. Very slow (11 or 12 minute miles) but I’ve found I can manage decent distances. Thanks I suspect to the loads of lockdown walking I’ve done. What I have found though is:-

First five minutes and last five minutes of runs are done at walking pace.

The slightest sign of muscles getting tight and I slow down and walk for a while.

Post-run stretches essential. Also ad-hoc stretches on days off. Roller has been good.

I bought some OOFOS sandals for after runs as my arches get sore. Hesitated at first as they weren’t cheap but they’ve been worth every penny.

I’ve been taking a neighbour’s dog on some of the trail runs and she seems to love it. Good fun trying to train her as we go round, and she pulls me up hills.

Trails that I’ve mountain biked literally hundreds of times are very different when you run them.

It was hard work in the snow last week but absolutely beautiful. And a good excuse to be slow.

I do fancy going running with other folk but need to get my pace a bit faster first.

Finally, and most importantly, I’m getting a great buzz from it.

dashed
    Free Member

I do fancy going running with other folk but need to get my pace a bit faster first.

I put off joining my local running club for ages for this reason – I needn’t have worried. Very relaxed and loads of speeds catered for… Great motivation to get out especially on dark wet evenings

jaminb
    Free Member

I started running at 48 for the first time since school at the start of the November lock down. I thought it would provide an outdoor alternative to Zwift. I hated running at school and don’t love it now! As an overweight newby I am terrified of getting injured so have taken it very easy. I am upto 5k in 30 mins so a long way to go judging by some of these numbers. I do at least 15 mins of yoga before and after but am still sore and achy despite getting a proper fitting and expensive trainers ! Hopefully it will get easier with lighter warmer mornings

DavidB
    Free Member

@martin_t I am you but older. Ran a 37:30 10k in my 30’s and now am 54 years old struggling to get below 47. I find myself much more cautious as I never want to get injured and living in Devon it is just non-stop hills so every run is 1000 ft of climbing. On the plus side I’m going much longer now so on average am banging out 8-10 miles a run with a half marathon offroad most weekends. Seems like old age has slowed me down but allowed me to go further.

sirromj

Abother one not ran since I was at school. Started running at start of last lockdown. Did my first 10k the other day. Yes lots of niggles, shin splints even when attempting to do C25K type training so just did it my way and got there in the end. Recent bad weather saw my runs drop to once in two weeks, but aiming to run once a week. Takes me a few days to recover from my runs. 45 now. I think I’m at the point now where after a couple of miles it dawns on me to stop worrying about what pain/niggles might come, relax a bit, and enjoy it.

dogbone

As you get older going faster requires A LOT more effort. Possible with a proper training schedule and interval training at least once a week. Banging out the same run three times a week will only get your so far.

Or just take up trail running and blame the hills / mud for the slow times (like what I have).

Dickyboy

Started back running last year after a 14yr gap & a touch of covid, did the couch to 5k which eased me back in gently and meant I didn’t get any injuries as I’ve been plagued with achilles problems before. Plan to run a couple of half marathons in aid of MS society in memory of my sil later this year.

fingerbang
    Free Member

I’m 44 and just got back into running so youre in fantastic company. I much prefer trail running but it’s a struggle in the slop

I’ve not ridden my bike all winter just cos of all the faff and have started running Mon/weds/fri

I’m very concerned about picking up a niggle from past experience so 30-40 mins running 3 times a week is all I’m doing. I might increase but will do it really gradually cos of injuries. Not messing with those again

sgn23
    Free Member

I think if you perception of ‘okay’ is a 37min 10K then you’re probably not running slowly now. 4min/Km is top 5% of males according to Garmin insights for 40-44yo

johndoh
    Free Member

I am upto 5k in 30 mins

Nothing wrong in that – it’s <10 minute mile pace which is something a great many people can only ever dream of achieving.

martin_t
    Free Member

Seems like old age has slowed me down but allowed me to go further.

Good point…

and I should look at my current lack of fitness as what has stopped me getting injured till now. In contrast to previous (ill-fated) comebacks where I have been too fit for my legs.

I think if you perception of ‘okay’ is a 37min 10K then you’re probably not running slowly now. 4min/Km is top 5% of males according to Garmin insights for 40-44yo

I could probably just about do a 25 min 5k now, which I guess is not terrible. It is not so much the speed but the ‘flow’. I used to enjoy running where I could open up my stride a bit and get in to a natural rhythm. Now it often feels a bit of a jarring shuffle.

i_like_food

My experience of returning to endurance sports after time away is that it always takes longer than I think it will, and as I’ve got older that’s only got more so.

I would say that each time I’ve done it the sooner I’ve abandoned the memory of how fit I used to be the sooner I’ve passed the point of not seeing improvements, basically because I then stop going too fast for my current fitness level.

Give it time, leave the GPS at home and enjoy. Good luck.

chaos

That flow thing definitely happens less often or less easily but occasionally on a nice day it comes back.  It can be unrelenting though, there’s no free-wheeling in running!

What has happened is I’ve noticed an improvement in my road/mtb climbing out of the saddle 🙂 .

Jolsa

I used to enjoy running where I could open up my stride a bit and get in to a natural rhythm.

I can relate to that. 42 now, started running in 2007. I remember what felt like effortless stretches across sun drenched fields at a good pace, my body feeling strong and fit.

I got back from a 10k trail run earlier which felt like the slowest of achey plods, or slides in places given the mud slicks out there.

Luckily (aided by the reading of ‘Running Free’ by Richard Askwith) I just see it as a different stage in my running life. I’m still getting out and enjoying it, and the interest and enjoyment of the outdoors/seasons/wildlife/new trails has taken over from speed and times that were in my mind 10 years ago.

stever
    Free Member

I’ve a clubmate that restarted around 50, after 25 years off. Top 10 nationally now v60. Hope that helps 😀

martin_t
    Free Member

Luckily (aided by the reading of ‘Running Free’ by Richard Askwith) …

Thanks for that. I’ll take it look. Edit: I have just ordered that

Incidentally, if you get the chance, I thoroughly recommend “The Unknown Runner” on YouTube and Amazon. It follows the Kenyan runner Geofrey Kipsang as he prepares for the Berlin marathon. The humble eat-sleep-run life in the training camp, really taps into the appeal of running to me.

Twodogs

Now 58, I used to be an ok runner (sub 40 10km, sub 3:15 Marathon). I got much more into mtb in 2009, training for and doing a few multi day big races (transrockies). In between I’ve tried to get back to running but have been plagued by injuries..usually calf tears. Got up to being able to run about 14km one year, but then got injured again. I keep trying cos I love running. Currently having another go, doing up to 30 mins run/walk, and building slowly. I’ve also started doing a bit of yoga in the hope that it helps…can’t hurt at least!
    I don’t want to go fast, but I used to love doing long runs..if I could get back to that I’d be happy!

bob_summers

Started in 2019 aged 44, and have done very little cycling since – apart from when recovering from injury. I’ll never feel like a runner, I’m frustratingly slow but I do enjoy it. Only into the trail/fell side of it, haven’t done a road race.

As others have said, trail running helps to focus on something other than numbers and progress although I invariably do. I feel like it’s saved me from some injuries from how your feet strike differently on uneven ground, but I’ve had some horrific tendon problems and was in physio every fortnight or month for the first year. Lost most of my toenails too!

Running has also meant racing more – masters 40 bike races are few and far between in my part of the world but I can do a trail race nearly every week from March to October (non Covid years!). Always finish deep in the back half, have finished on the last page of the results but have avoided last so far. I don’t “train” or do intervals or anything, just run 50 or 60k a week in the Basque hills!

That said, the first time I went and ran 10k on the flat, I did it in under 42m so the fitness does come.

martin_t
    Free Member

That said, the first time I went and ran 10k on the flat, I did it in under 42m so the fitness does come.

Nice work!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘Returning to running in old age’ is closed to new replies.